Preview Sydney Swans vs Hawthorn, Friday June 11 @ the SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing how quiet everyone is about Hayward. He came back and emphatically proved his doubters wrong and I haven’t seen many people admitting they were wrong.

He looks like the nice supportive boyfriend of the hysterical girl in a slasher movie who ends up being the villain himself, but he puts it all on the line for us and he is one of the most reliable kicks we have. Not only for goal but in general.

Had Sydney done what a few suggested and offered him as a trade it would have been a bigger loss than AA by a long stretch in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like Will he has so much talent. He has been a bit up and down in the last few years. I think it is a confidence issue. It is also about effort. He is now putting in full effort. Will is one of those players to whom footy comes easily. He was a star junior kicking 9 goals in a Prelim and 4 out of 7 in a GF. So he would just step onto a footy field and it would all just happen.

Enter Swans and playing AFL footy. This is a huge step up from SANFL U19 footy. No longer can he just step out there and if all fits into place. He actually has to work hard. Many players who were junior champs find this transition difficult and lose confidence, see Jack Watts. I think Will had some pretty ordinary games last year. He wasn't working hard enough and he lost confidence.

This year the message has got through to him. No more gimme games. We have a full list and if you don't put in the effort, work hard, perform you play Twos. Good on him for responding. He has come back with lots of effort, has improved his tackling (which was the weakest part of his game), improved his pressure and is kicking straight again. Well done Will

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Swans hobble into the last game before the bye against Hawthorn - a team who have just enjoyed something we could really use... a rest.

Big Tom Hickey's playing on one leg.
Heeney's dodgy ankle has flared up again.
Bud's just happy to make it onto the paddock.
And the youthful crew of Campbell, McDonald, Gulden, Chad, JMac and Wicksy are either licking their wounds in the recovery rooms or buggered by 12 rounds of hard work.

The Swans just need four more quarters of big effort and they can take a break.

Now I know the Hawks have seen better seasons....
Their only wins were against Essendon (by a point in round 1)
and the crows (by 3 points in round 6)...

But I'm not writing them off.
(I wrote off the blues and saints and that didn't work too well.)

The Hawks have a good record against us.
Their coach is alright.
And as I said - they'll be well rested.

What's more, they still have . And little name players like Tom Mitchell.

If the Swans read this blog - and I suspect a few of them do - my advice is to get ready for one more red hot go. 2 more hours of hard fought footy. 1 more night of effort.

Let's just grab the 4 points and get out of Dodge.

We're 8-4.

We've already had 3 more wins than last season.

And no matter what any of us think of the SCG, we're still undefeated against interstate teams there this season.

Make no mistake - we're a better team than Hawthorn in 2021.

The Swans are due for a really strong team performance. I'm backing the boys to give the hawks a touch up.

Swans by 35.

"Big name players like O'Meara, Burgoyne, McEvoy and Wingard ... and mitchell" ... apart from maybe mcevoy, that's all those others are now, names ... i thought burgoyne was done two years ago, the other three are crocks ... feel sorry for o'meara, a real talent crippled by injury, but always thought wingard was too selfish and not the kind of player to lift a team when it gets tough ...
i'll probly hate myself for saying this, seeing as i try to err on the side of caution going into most games, but surely we win this ... whatever you might say about hawthorn, it's us who are now due a good game, having been patchy and ordinary for a few weeks now ...
i'm convinced the coaching team will have us primed to go into the bye on a big note and really crush a one-time hated rival ... ok, ok, they're still hated ...
and maybe the biggest plus ... franklin in form but hungry for a big bag, playing his old side ... all week he'll be firing up the youngsters to get this done

Last edited:
Out: Heeney (inj/Rest), Warner (rest)
In: Brand, Clarke

Having a big KPD is an electric blanket on a winters eve. Maybe we don't HAVE to have it, but it sure is nice.
Clarke deserves a shot he's been consistently good in the twos and played well for us last year too.
Warner's body can use two weeks rest to fully set him up for the run home, as can Heeney's ankle if reports are correct.

Hewett or Dawson to Heeney's spot, mixing it up with Parker a bit. Clarke to just run everywhere and disrupt their midfield and get some run and handballs chains going.

All true but suggesting people apologise that were critical of his pathetic form last year and early this year is complete bullshit. He was terrible and was being gifted games because a lack of depth. Credit to Will Hayward for working his arse off to be now playing at a level his ability warrants and also becoming a reliable solid contributor to the team. People who were not questioning his output in the past are the one's who should apologise because it seems they are satisfied with mediocrity. That is the sh*t that was once this club. Not now.
I am not apologizing. I love Will. Always will. I think you expect too much. Too angry for me. Take a chill pill.

All true but suggesting people apologise that were critical of his pathetic form last year and early this year is complete bullshit. He was terrible and was being gifted games because a lack of depth. Credit to Will Hayward for working his arse off to be now playing at a level his ability warrants and also becoming a reliable solid contributor to the team. People who were not questioning his output in the past are the one's who should apologise because it seems they are satisfied with mediocrity. That is the sh*t that was once this club. Not now.

this club has never been sh1t ... of all the things i disagree with, some vehemently, on this board ... wow ... what a thing to say ...
even when paul kelly was carrying the club on his shoulders through the darkest days of 92-94 this club was not sh1t ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last time we got this cocky on the board against the Hawks because they were playing crap, they beat us. Convincingly if I recall.
Now, now Ticky009, had nothing to do with us... we don't actually control the universe, we just like to think we do!!! :p :cool:

6 day turnaround when your opponent is coming off the Bye is pretty f’ed. Can see us running out of legs hard.
Well we didn’t have to travel to Marvel this week. So three games at the SCG in a row negates that they are played over 12 days. Also we made 5 changes in the last game so not all are playing 3 games in 12 days.

True - but I think the silence reflects a lot of respect for him on the board. He took his time out, got his set shot back on target and proved himself worthy of the jumper.

That’s fair as well. A silent admiration. He came back through the traditional path and to me he’s much more mature now.

He didn’t deserve the type of criticism he was getting, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much as I do buy into the theory we aren't a team that is going to be able to belt teams this season, I do believe we have one of those up our sleeve. We aren't going to win all our games against bottom sides by less then 4 goals. This game may be the 1 blowout.

I'm not convinced we're as banged up and limping into the bye as people seem to believe. The three kids I mentioned in the autopsy thread the exceptions, I don't see any reasons why we should be half-baked for this one. The Saints game might've seemed like a slog, like we scrapped out this ugly win. I would urge everyone to watch the replay. Ours was the highest scoring match of the round. Away from our frustrating inability to properly pull away from and bury an average side, it was an incredibly fast and end-to-end game with the ball flying all over the place like a pinball. Lots of running and lots of pressure involved.

It was precisely the type of game that in recent years we would've spluttered through on our way to an honourable loss. That we were able to run it out and, save for some absolute umpiring gifts, get well on top in the last quarter was encouraging. I am expecting us to come into this game with the wind in our sails.

I'm not convinced we're as banged up and limping into the bye as people seem to believe. The three kids I mentioned in the autopsy thread the exceptions, I don't see any reasons why we should be half-baked for this one. The Saints game might've seemed like a slog, like we scrapped out this ugly win. I would urge everyone to watch the replay. Ours was the highest scoring match of the round. Away from our frustrating inability to properly pull away from and bury an average side, it was an incredibly fast and end-to-end game with the ball flying all over the place like a pinball. Lots of running and lots of pressure involved.

It was precisely the type of game that in recent years we would've spluttered through on our way to an honourable loss. That we were able to run it out and, save for some absolute umpiring gifts, get well on top in the last quarter was encouraging. I am expecting us to come into this game with the wind in our sails.
It’s a very well made point that the big difference this year is that honourable losses have become narrow wins.

And I don’t want to be greedy - but a comfortable win (just one!) would be good for the blood pressure.

Probably right.

But the club has invested heavily in Blakey and NEEDS him to succeed.

Taylor, less so.
Why does the club need him to succeed? The right thing to do for Nick is give him time to develop. Don't rush him back, will do much more harm than good. Blakey will be fine in the long run. If Heeney is out, which I have no clue if he would be, there is not really a ready replacement for him so you will need to bring in a totally different style of player. I would think Bell, who wouldn't be my choice, might get a go given he was med Sub last week?

Why does the club need him to succeed? The right thing to do for Nick is give him time to develop. Don't rush him back, will do much more harm than good. Blakey will be fine in the long run. If Heeney is out, which I have no clue if he would be, there is not really a ready replacement for him so you will need to bring in a totally different style of player. I would think Bell, who wouldn't be my choice, might get a go given he was med Sub last week?
The club needs him to succeed because he’s signed to a long term contract, presumably on decent coin.

The club needs him to succeed because he’s signed to a long term contract, presumably on decent coin.
I get your point, but the club doesn't need him to succeed, we will be just fine if he doesn't. He wont be the first nor the last to land in that bucket if that how it plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back