Recommitted Josh Battle [contracted and staying at St Kilda]

Remove this Banner Ad

How tall is Morrison ? compare to Battle . I don't know why compare a player 1.80 vs 1.93 m

Same age.
Same amount of games.
Same draft.
Both spent chunks of their careers on the wing.

Only comparing them in regards to trade value to another team. I think their worth could be comparable when considering the factors I listed plus output.

Agree that he was best as a defender was also solid on the wing where we perhaps lack depth. He was drafted as a forward and thats where I believe he wants to play though. He might be gettable if a side could offer him gametime up forward as the Saints have plenty of tall forwards.

The trouble is that the Saints have a preferred forward line with proven performer Membrey, and developing forward King.
They round it out with Marshall , who provides support in the ruck.

After mid season recruit Sharman made some very nice appearances in the AFL its kind of apparent that to play as a forward he'd need to wait for injury and then hope to be selected ahead of Sharman.
I consider the club have been putting him on the wing , because he's good enough that we want him to play, but its not an ideal role for him.

His overall stats don't really tell the story.
First year he was still completing high School, and wasn't expecting to play. He played 1 game and kicked a goal.
Second year he played some good games as a forward. Probably as good as what we saw from Paddy McCartin. ( StKilda's first year without Nick Riewoldt).

Third year, he adapted to play in defence when Carlisle was out, teaming up well with Nathan Brown in defence. He did a pretty good job, and that bumped his disposal stats up, but his goal stats went down.

He probably went better on the wing in 2020 than 2021 , finding 12 goals in 14 games.

I viewed him as a logical long term replacement for Membrey, but he's a bit too ready to play right away ( great tank ) , so its become a bit awkward.
Certainly i would hope the club wouldn't just trade him out without much coming back.

His family is a bunch of Hawthorn fanatics.
His old man is a clone of Derm, with the bleached blonde hair, pearly white teeth with a nickname Toss.
Absolute ripper fella
Can vouch for this

Would be a great get for the Tigers if he was happy to settle into CHB for us.

I would offer a pick in the 20's as we have 2 of them. Maybe the pick the Saints gave us for Higgins?
I think that’s more than fair. A lot of Saints fans would be upset because he has genuine AA talent and Tigers/Hardwick are likely a team that will be able to help him fulfil that talent.

I feel like I need to dismiss that suggestion now. No one is arguing. What has BigFooty become?
That’s a silly idea. What would you know Morro ? You big stinky head.

Haha funny enough I typed something similar last night, but deleted it to see if BF would melt over night haha

I feel like I need to dismiss that suggestion now. No one is arguing. What has BigFooty become?
That’s a silly idea. What would you know Morro ? You big stinky head.
Lol. Similar thing happened with Higgins last year. As soon as it became apparent he was going to the Saints, pretty much everyone on here instantly agreed that he was worth a Future second and a swap of 1st round picks. 2 weeks later, that's exactly what happened. It was disgustingly civil.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems an odd one to push out. Talented and young? What am I missing?
He's on the fringe of the team and hasn't been able to nail down a spot, if we can get something good for him then it might tempt us.

Seems an odd one to push out. Talented and young? What am I missing?

As a forward , he will have trouble getting selected ahead of Max King or Tim Membrey ( our third tall forward is a resting ruck ).
We have other depth he will compete against as well.
I don't think Saints are "pushing him out" and if a team wanted to trade for him i wouldn't expect a fire sale.

He's mostly been played out of position the last two years. It amazes me how long we've stuck with him on the wing when he doesn't seem to have those attributes.

He had his best year in 2019 when he played the majority of the season at CHB. Still had a bit to learn but I was surprised we didn't try and develop him in that role rather than throwing him around.

I hope he stays but I can understand if he asks for a trade. Probably not going to get us a heap after a fairly average season, probably a pick in the 20's somewhere IMO.

He's mostly been played out of position the last two years. It amazes me how long we've stuck with him on the wing when he doesn't seem to have those attributes.

He had his best year in 2019 when he played the majority of the season at CHB. Still had a bit to learn but I was surprised we didn't try and develop him in that role rather than throwing him around.

I hope he stays but I can understand if he asks for a trade. Probably not going to get us a heap after a fairly average season, probably a pick in the 20's somewhere IMO.
I pick in the 20s is a pretty good return for a fringe player who has had an average season.

I pick in the 20s is a pretty good return for a fringe player who has had an average season.
I'm not sure I'd call him a fringe player. He's been selected for just about every game he's been available for since round 3 last year.

I think the only time he wasn't was when he was used as an injury sub once or twice before injury?

But yeah, for a player that has had a pretty average year it seems pretty good, but I also think there enough upside there for him to be worth that.

That and the fact he's contracted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back