Recommitted Darcy MacPherson [contracted and staying at Gold Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Has the AFL ever actually blocked a trade like this?

They allowed a live trade of 27 for future pick 11 which has a bigger point difference than 19 for North's F3 unless we make the 8 next year. I don't see this as particularly controversial.

Has the AFL ever actually blocked a trade like this?

They allowed a live trade of 27 for future pick 11 which has a bigger point difference than 19 for North's F3 unless we make the 8 next year. I don't see this as particularly controversial.
The AFL relies on points for valuations.
Future picks don't have points yet.
I'm not sure how they would value them.

I don’t get the AFL.

Deals like this happens all the time in the NBA.

OKC thunders are currently amassing a lot of future first round picks because of salary dumps.

Say Tasmania came into the competition and GWS trade Cogs and a first round pick for nothing.

GWS get their salary cap in order and retain other players.

Tasmania gets an experienced player with leadership and first round pick for the long term.

Win Win deal.

Agree with you on this. At the end of the day if both clubs agree to it then why can’t any deal go through? No club is being pushed into a corner and forced to do anything.

Why can’t people weigh up that GC freeing up cap space and losing a pick that means little to them evens up the trade. The contract we’re taking on is a part of the deal. Does anyone in this thread not watch other sports around the globe?

Posts suggesting that it’s ‘not in the spirit of the game’….. What on earth are you banging on about? North are literally helping GC by doing this deal. Can someone explain to me who’s spirit is being lost in this trade?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agree with you on this. At the end of the day if both clubs agree to it then why can’t any deal go through? No club is being pushed into a corner and forced to do anything.

Why can’t people weigh up that GC freeing up cap space and losing a pick that means little to them evens up the trade. The contract we’re taking on is a part of the deal. Does anyone in this thread not watch other sports around the globe?

Posts suggesting that it’s ‘not in the spirit of the game’….. What on earth are you banging on about? North are literally helping GC by doing this deal. Can someone explain to me who’s spirit is being lost in this trade?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The AFL overacted because of the Rawlings trade.

I am not against the McPherson and pick 19 trade for nothing but I do think the AFL should allow every team be able to do it.

The AFL overacted because of the Rawlings trade.

I am not against the McPherson and pick 19 trade for nothing but I do think the AFL should every team be able to do it.
That isn't a trade and also isn't what is being proposed. It is a trade of 19 and Macpherson for a future 3rd, which should be fine.

That isn't a trade and also isn't what is being proposed. It is a trade of 19 and Macpherson for a future 3rd, which should be fine.
You dont see a problem with the AFL only allowing this loophole to be utilised when they see fit? If Collingwood and Freo couldn't do it 4 years ago, why should the GC and NM be able to do it now? You can't change rules when it suits.

You dont see a problem with the AFL only allowing this loophole to be utilised when they see fit? If Collingwood and Freo couldn't do it 4 years ago, why should the GC and NM be able to do it now? You can't change rules when it suits.
That was before future pick trading so the clubs didn't have the same options. I wouldn't have blocked that either, but it wasn't really a trade. It was Mayne and a second rounder for nothing.

Pretty weird the stuff fans get het up over. Here we have two clubs considering a deal that benefits both without breaching the intent of the trade rules or the salary cap. North have cap room, so can afford to take on one of GC’s worst contracts in exchange for a better pick.

This year we had at least two finalists with players having part of their contract paid under other teams' caps. Surely that is a bigger issue than this.

Pretty weird the stuff fans get het up over. Here we have two clubs considering a deal that benefits both without breaching the intent of the trade rules or the salary cap. North have cap room, so can afford to take on one of GC’s worst contracts in exchange for a better pick.

This year we had at least two finalists with players having part of their contract paid under other teams' caps. Surely that is a bigger issue than this.
The Treloar deal was far worse than this one.
The only difference being Treloar had value.

The Treloar deal was far worse than this one.
The only difference being Treloar had value.
The only issue I had with both that and the Higgins deal was that one club has ended up paying a player to play for another team. I think this should be outlawed rather than this proposed deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look I agree 100% , my dissatisfaction comes from ALL aspects of manipulation carried out by the AFL , not just specifically to and for any specific club .
We sit and watch them lift the struggling ( Dee’s a perfect example when the AFL dragged Roos and others in to sort out their mismanagement).
Then their also content to drag back the successful ( capping off field spending which impacts clubs like Hawthorn , WC etc )

its corrupt.......
The whole competition is rigged - give me another elite competition anywhere in the world where the fixture is rigged to suit the financial interests of the governing body.

That would be because it’s not really in the spirit of the game. everyone had grown tired of the GC hand outs and every one has grown tired of the Kangaroos being kissed on the d1ck. Also the attitude of kangaroos supporters on the back of winning nothing with the exception of the wooden spoon is wearing thin.
If the AFL has a modicum of integrity this won’t be passed.
Outside of our first seasons draft, we had what, a no.1 priority pick, a no.11 pick and start of second round priority pick after 11 years where our highest finish was 12th.

The rest of the picks we've had haven't been 'hand-outs' they've been traded picks from clubs poaching our young players.

Hawthorns premierships were built on the back of players like Luke Hodge and Jarryd Roughead who were both start of first round priority picks. and that's not including the fact you also got Xavier Ellis as a start of first round priority pick as well.

3 start of first round priority picks in 5 years which led to all your premiership years.

I guess none of those premierships were in the spirit of the game either then, right?

I wasn’t aware of the Fremantle Collingwood trade.

What was the trade that was blocked?
the trade was us taking Mayne back in 2017 in return for collingwood giving us a future 2nd and us taking on most of his contract
That was before future pick trading so the clubs didn't have the same options. I wouldn't have blocked that either, but it wasn't really a trade. It was Mayne and a second rounder for nothing.
it wasn't

Outside of our first seasons draft, we had what, a no.1 priority pick, a no.11 pick and start of second round priority pick after 11 years where our highest finish was 12th.

The rest of the picks we've had haven't been 'hand-outs' they've been traded picks from clubs poaching our young players.

Hawthorns premierships were built on the back of players like Luke Hodge and Jarryd Roughead who were both start of first round priority picks. and that's not including the fact you also got Xavier Ellis as a start of first round priority pick as well.

3 start of first round priority picks in 5 years which led to all your premiership years.

I guess none of those premierships were in the spirit of the game either then, right?
Hawthorn got hold of that priority pick #1 for Hodge by selling their players too.

I'm not sure there has been a premiership this millennium (there may be a couple) that hasn't benefited from AFL concessions regarding priority picks, father son picks from when the cost for them was greatly behind actual value, salary cap inequities and academy players with special access and discounts for them.

You can make a big argument that clubs need priority picks and concessions just to keep up.

Take Geelong for example. Father son pick Hawkins should have gone #1, system now would have burned their pick #7, instead they get Hawkins for a 3rd round and picked Selwood at #7.

the trade was us taking Mayne back in 2017 in return for collingwood giving us a future 2nd and us taking on most of his contract

it wasn't
A bit different surely; Mayne was an UFA going to Collingwood? So Freo got compo? Pick 23 if my research is correct - so if he goes back to Freo a year later for a future second, Freo keep the compo and get another pick from a trade, from a UFA. No wonder the AFL put the kibosh on it

it wasn't
That trade should have gone through.

Both teams would have benefited from the deal.

Collingwood gets salary cap relief and may have stop or reduced the stock sell over last trade period.

Fremantle, would have got young player and Mayne for leadership.

Kind of BS that the AFL stops this trade but allows the McPherson trade.

Collingwood gets salary cap relief and may have stop or reduced the stock sell over last trade period.

see above - Freo got UFA compo and then wanted to take the player back for another pick. Regardless of the salary dump, it was a rort of draft picks

It hasn't happened yet. They could turn around and say no.

A bit different surely; Mayne was an UFA going to Collingwood? So Freo got compo? Pick 23 if my research is correct - so if he goes back to Freo a year later for a future second, Freo keep the compo and get another pick from a trade, from a UFA. No wonder the AFL put the kibosh on it
Why?

Sure, Fremantle would have benefit from this but the AFL isn’t in our corner.

Collingwood paid overs to get Mayne and was a mistake.

The salary cap dump trade is a tool to correct a list management error.

Why?

Sure, Fremantle would have benefit from this but the AFL isn’t in our corner.

Collingwood paid overs to get Mayne and was a mistake.

The salary cap dump trade is a tool to correct a list management error.
If you can't see the problem in getting FA compo for a player and then getting a further pick for taking him back, I can't explain it to you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back