Club Focus Richmond 2021 - Tarrant, Gibcus, Brown, Sonsie, Banks, Clarke

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

FYI hearing that Richmond are chasing hard to ensure they get F.Callaghan - trying to get Brisbane involved in a three-way trade to get pick 2 from GWS.

Club:LoseGain
Richmond7 + 26 + 272 + 60
Brisbane18 + 41 + 6026 + 27 + 2022 (3rd)
GWS2 + 2022 (3rd)7 + 18 + 41

Poor trade for Brisbane too. The cost of moving down from 18 to 26 would be more than a 14 spot move up in the second/third round (and probably less after picks are removed for matching bids) and a future third rounder.

FYI hearing that Richmond are chasing hard to ensure they get F.Callaghan - trying to get Brisbane involved in a three-way trade to get pick 2 from GWS.

Club:LoseGain
Richmond7 + 26 + 272 + 60
Brisbane18 + 41 + 6026 + 27 + 2022 (3rd)
GWS2 + 2022 (3rd)7 + 18 + 41
This trade is terrible for all involved.

Well done.

The only way trading up 7 and 15 is worth it for Richmond is if they ensure Callaghan.

Adelaide's pick 4 is a nothing pick, and in fact is a tiny and insignificant upgrade over pick 7.

The gap between pick 7 and pick 2/3 for example is a different story, and is probably actually worth upgrading for.

You can just tell how desperate Adelaide is to either trade up or down with pick 4, since it has a lot of value on paper, but every club in the AFL knows that in practise it's not worth nearly as much since you miss out on the entire group of top draftees by then.

The only way trading up 7 and 15 is worth it for Richmond is if they ensure Callaghan.

Adelaide's pick 4 is a nothing pick, and in fact is a tiny and insignificant upgrade over pick 7.

The gap between pick 7 and pick 2/3 for example is a different story, and is probably actually worth upgrading for.

You can just tell how desperate Adelaide is to either trade up or down with pick 4, since it has a lot of value on paper, but every club in the AFL knows that in practise it's not worth nearly as much since you miss out on the entire group of top draftees by then.
Interested to know where your proof is Adelaide is desperate to trade their "nothing" pick 4.

I think Richmond have done all the trading for picks that they are going to do. The aim was to get as many picks as they could in the top 30. That has been achieved. Getting rid of those picks, even to upgrade them further, would undermine what has already been done.

One great player doesn't refresh a list, but 5 potential A/B grade players do.

Is there a chance Richmond dont put all eggs in one basket for example move one of those 2nd rounders to a better 2nd rounder next year?

Richmond traded 38, 40 and a future 3rd to get pick 27.

Unless they get a monster offer I would be shocked if they then trade out one of 26, 27 or 28 for a future 2nd even if it is likely it may be in the range 19-24.

Interested to know where your proof is Adelaide is desperate to trade their "nothing" pick 4.
Are you serious LOL

You have tried to sell pick 4 to North Melbourne for pick 1, to GWS for pick 2, to Richmond for pick 7 and 15, and you STILL don't acknowledge how overvalued pick 4 is on paper compared to its intrinsic value? Where's your evidence that Adelaide ISN'T trying to trade pick 4?

Realistically pick 4 in this year's draft is barely worth more than pick 7. And this has been repeatedly emphasized across many draft podcasts that the next group after the top 4 (Daicos, Callaghan, Horne Francis, Darcy) is VERY even, and you are not getting anyone from that top group, which makes what is effectively pick 6 a very insignificant and negligible update over pick 7 - 15.

Adelaide knows this, other clubs know this. Which is why Adelaide has been desperately trying to sell pick 6 - which doesn't get you access to any of the top players.

Is there a chance Richmond dont put all eggs in one basket for example move one of those 2nd rounders to a better 2nd rounder next year?

We already have two 2nd rounders next year so can't see that happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you serious LOL

You have tried to sell pick 4 to North Melbourne for pick 1, to GWS for pick 2, to Richmond for pick 7 and 15, and you STILL don't acknowledge how overvalued pick 4 is on paper compared to its intrinsic value? Where's your evidence that Adelaide ISN'T trying to trade pick 4?

Realistically pick 4 in this year's draft is barely worth more than pick 7. And this has been repeatedly emphasized across many draft podcasts that the next group after the top 4 (Daicos, Callaghan, Horne Francis, Darcy) is VERY even, and you are not getting anyone from that top group, which makes what is effectively pick 6 a very insignificant and negligible update over pick 7 - 15.

Adelaide knows this, other clubs know this. Which is why Adelaide has been desperately trying to sell pick 6 - which doesn't get you access to any of the top players.
We did go after pick #1 as there is a gun local as you would know. We are not the only club to try & get pick 1.

Other than that, we haven't been active to move pick 4. All clubs enquire about order changes, but if we were desperate to move on pick 4, we already would have!

The only thing desperate is your posting as you are making things up.

Richmond traded 38, 40 and a future 3rd to get pick 27.

Unless they get a monster offer I would be shocked if they then trade out one of 26, 27 or 28 for a future 2nd even if it is likely it may be in the range 19-24.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Tigers dangle a future 2nd included with 7&15 to get pick 2 off GWS.

How many points are the Saints going to need to bid on their two academy kids?

I wonder if they would trade away P9 to achieve that.

Would consider 9 + 62 for 26 + 27 + 28.

Tiges draft with 7, 9, 15, few late picks for smokies.

Saints then have the picks to either select or match bids on their boys.

Are you serious LOL

I reckon this is true,

Goater/Sinn/Hobbs/Ward/Andrew/Gibcus/Rachele/Erasmus/Johnson/Sonsie/Chesser/Wanganeen/Amiss, could all be top shelf footballers

Short answer: no.

Long answer is that we wouldn't give up a top 10 (11 after Daicos/Darcy bids) to gain points for players we are likely to get anyway. Worst case scenario we go into deficit for next year (well the actual worst case is they both are selected top 20 and we don't get to match bids).

Realistically, we'll probably trade future picks if we need more points, but there's no way we're trading Pick 9 for selections outside the top 20 which would just result in us matching bids on players we could match bids without sacrificing P9/P11.

I hope that doesn't come across as rude, I really like how you've positioned your draft hand this year - just that we're unlikely to be the trade partner you're looking for. Even if you don't find a suitor to trade up with, you end up with five shots at quality players. I don't see how you guys don't come out of this draft with a winning hand, now it's just a matter of whether that hand is a pair of aces or a royal flush.

If a Hobbs, Mac or Amiss is still on the board at 11 (13) Essendons pick is there any world that Richmond would consider 15 (17) + 28 (31)
Pick 31 to move up 4 spots is crazy talk.

Saints are at a point in their list when they want a gun at pick 9 and not 2 leftover players at picks in the 20s.

From many draft reports, aside from NGA and F/S pushbacks , live picks after say pick 30 are pretty much a chook's raffle. It's not a great draft (unless you need points or academy selections) to have picks anything say past the end of 2nd round (conservately)

I wouldn't do any draft night pick swap/downgrades if am Richmond, unless for future picks, where it's a much deeper draft class.

You aren't doing the trade to get pick 11 or 13, you are doing it as a live trade to get a particular player. If a player you really want slides, you would be crazy not to do that trade.

That's fair enough. I'd still be wanting a future 3rd or something coming back the other way.
I suppose if a guy like Gibcus was falling I wouldn't be too fussed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back