Review Dees v Tricolours: the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Felt like we got a lot of scores from centre clearances and the Doggies got a lot from stoppages, similar to last year's game at the mcg dogs got an unusually high amount of goals from stoppages in that game. I just listen to the press conference and Goody said the game became a very offensive and it's hard to get out of. I think that can definitely happen at Marvel, for some reason games zip through quickly with obvious exceptions like Friday night. You would think being smaller than the g it would be easier to be defensive. Probably why essendon are the most momentum side in the comp, they always have an attacking style which works well at Marvel, they've been the say since the knight years.

Weve been 5 goals up ish in every single one of our losses except Geelong. Complete opposite of last year, We were able to adjust mid game and work it in our favour. This year teams are able to stop us and we dont keep pushing. Teams can break down our system now.

Think thats a little bit of a false stat. We scored from like half our inside 50s midway through the third im pretty sure.

Yea true, we went at 50% for the game, but For a team that supposedly prides itself on repeat stoppages on its F50 I find that mind blowing still.

Yea true, we went at 50% for the game, but For a team that supposedly prides itself on repeat stoppages on its F50 I find that mind blowing still.
Stole that a little from Buckley, I remember someone was talking about a team having no tackles inside 50 and he said they also took a mark or kicked a goal from most of their entries. Same with overall tackles. Its a bad stat but I think its also because we had alot more space inside 50 than normal.

A worse stat would have been how many times the dogs went from D50 to past the wing without a contest

It’s not the main reason we lost but that 12pt turnaround from Harmes missing that kick fmd
Mays bad kick, Trac missing a gimme for him, Bont not being pinged, Brayshaw ball watching and Garcia getting way in behind him. There was a stack of individual mistakes. Maxs crap ruck work, Jacksons fumble etc etc

Mays bad kick, Trac missing a gimme for him, Bont not being pinged, Brayshaw ball watching and Garcia getting way in behind him. There was a stack of individual mistakes. Maxs crap ruck work, Jacksons fumble etc etc
yeah agree with most of those. Not sure what the hell Gawn was thinking.

We aren’t the team from 12 months ago, happy for Jackson to head West. Lock Brayshaw in and do something about the forward line.

Might help for Goodwin to throw a few others through the middle at times too/
100%, Jackson is a gun, was a very good rookie his first year, got a flag out of him.
Id rather keep Gus, wouldn't mind what ever LJ decides to do

Fremantle will smash the s**t out of us next week.

I don't think so.

After watching the Freo game and your game... I feel like The Dees are a mile ahead.

The thing is... you guys seem to turn it on on for 5 minute patches and look amazing...then take the foot off the pedal and relax a bit.
And a few skill errors cost you last night.
oh and the umps only payed holding the ball for one team. The HTB rule does not apply to the Bont.

If you beat Freo in Perth I think you are favourites. Only team I can see beating Geelong.

I don't think so.

After watching the Freo game and your game... I feel like The Dees are a mile ahead.

The thing is... you guys seem to turn it on on for 5 minute patches and look amazing...then take the foot off the pedal and relax a bit.
And a few skill errors cost you last night.
oh and the umps only payed holding the ball for one team. The HTB rule does not apply to the Bont.

If you beat Freo in Perth I think you are favourites. Only team I can see beating Geelong.
It’s on Freo’s own dungheap and we’re a very ordinary side at the moment that could only claim to be a ‘mile ahead’ of North, West Coast and maybe those pea hearts at GWS. Freo haven’t played well in the last couple and were still balls deep in that Sydney game late and also could’ve won last night (and still got 2 points out of the game). Fremantle are far more reminiscent of us in 2021 than we are atm. We could beat them but the way we’re playing, the players will give themselves a big pat on the back and get flogged by Collingwood the next week. Our form is patchy, our hunger is lacking and every opponent seems to be able to break down our system.

James Jordon is my Boy, said it from day 1 but saw him running through the midfield at that pace, too damn slow!
He got tackled holding the pill but gotta be quicker than that!
That wasn't a pace issue it was game awareness, he needs to realise when he has does have time and space and when he needs to get it out quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah if someone wants to throw a million dollars at Dogga, go ahead. We're in our window now, and that cap space would be better spent on a real key forward (visceral reaction)
That’s not visceral at all. He has absolutely checked out and isn’t offering the intensity he should be. If Fremantle want to pay big dollars for him, good on them. We absolutely need a gun KF. I thought Weidemann looked good.

If there’s one single area we’ve gone from great to absolutely awful at it’s stopping teams from exiting our F50 and retaining possession.

Last year the oppo could get to our 50 line and then stop and kick it down the line. This year that’s our entire ball movement strategy.

When we’re defending a kick in we back off the mark so far they can run to 35m, then we don’t make it difficult at all for them to spot up someone outside D50, then we back off again and they’re off and running down the ground. Makes zero sense

If there’s one single area we’ve gone from great to absolutely awful at it’s stopping teams from exiting our F50 and retaining possession.

Last year the oppo could get to our 50 line and then stop and kick it down the line. This year that’s our entire ball movement strategy.

When we’re defending a kick in we back off the mark so far they can run to 35m, then we don’t make it difficult at all for them to spot up someone outside D50, then we back off again and they’re off and running down the ground. Makes zero sense
It felt like May/Petty/Lever would press right up and intercept mark around the wing or half back line. Now we seem to be waiting till the defensive 50 to try and mark it.

We let Treloar get all the way out to 50m on a kick in in the second quarter.

I think we could be the first team to concede a coast to coast goal in a single possession if we put our minds to it.

There may actually be some truth in this.
May was always the talker at the back, the one who would yell at his teammates, get them in position, effectively, a coach on the field.
I wonder how much this issue has impacted his mindset. In the sense that, in the back of his mind, he’s questioning how he comes across to the team if he’s constantly berating them. That may have some impact on his form.
I did see him yelling at Brayshaw on one occasion & Brayshaw came right back at him with his own dose of verbal abuse.

Bulldogs appeared to pick on players like Langdon and Spargo a lot when exiting D50 also, credit to their players for identifying those match ups, worked brilliantly.

Excuse the intrusion. Max is probably my favourite opposition player, so much so that I even forgave him for last year’s prelim 😬

But he’s looked a completely different player since returning from injury, starting with him having zero impact against us at KP.

Those syndesmosis injuries are nasty - I remember Selwood doing one 4-6 weeks before finals one year, we rushed him back for finals ahead of his recovery schedule and he had no impact at all.

Do you think you brought him back too quickly? I’d almost wrap him in cotton wool now, rest him for the next 2 weeks, and try to get him cherry ripe for finals. I don’t know if it’s an injury you can play through to improve match fitness.

Good luck for finals.

Loss of Brayshaw as a defensive winger getting back to help the defenders isn’t helping as neither Jordan or Langdon play that role.

Probably too late for this year but I’d be training Rivers up into that role for next year. He’s too good a talent to be out of the team but I’m really not sold on him as a backman, he’s neither a KPD or a lockdown medium defender or a distributor.

We need to find a few moves to pull late in the season that give us some spark. Maybe it’s Petty forward, Chandler and Laurie in, JVR getting a game. Something different.

Other teams have worked us out and our Blokes are plodding around playing just ok in the same positions.

Excuse the intrusion. Max is probably my favourite opposition player, so much so that I even forgave him for last year’s prelim 😬

But he’s looked a completely different player since returning from injury, starting with him having zero impact against us at KP.

Those syndesmosis injuries are nasty - I remember Selwood doing one 4-6 weeks before finals one year, we rushed him back for finals ahead of his recovery schedule and he had no impact at all.

Do you think you brought him back too quickly? I’d almost wrap him in cotton wool now, rest him for the next 2 weeks, and try to get him cherry ripe for finals. I don’t know if it’s an injury you can play through to improve match fitness.

Good luck for finals.

Definitely. Fair few comments here at the time about the risk of bringing both our ruckman back in underdone off lower leg injuries. Both Gawn and Jackson look to be struggling to cover the ground.

I did see him yelling at Brayshaw on one occasion & Brayshaw came right back at him with his own dose of verbal abuse.

Just when it appeared May was getting his mojo back with his third win in that contest with Bruce he went and kicked it straight to Bont.

No mojo for you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back