Review Dees v Tricolours: the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone want to take a stab at how many tackles we laid inside 50 tonight? Hint: it rhymes with 'hero'
Pretty frustrating but wasn't really that type of game. Dogs had 8 hut I reckon 4 of them were in the last quarter? We also applied much more pressure act numbers inside 50 than they did in their 50.

Also pretty frustrating to win centre clearances so well, but lose stoppage clearances around the ground so convincingly.

Feels like we opened up and tried to he a bit more free moving and scoring compared to recent weeks, but that was detriment to our defensive structure (lever out hurts that too)

Was more good than bad tonight, against a team hungry to keep its season alive.

They're not too late to jump on :) what are their odds now? I got them at $7.

We are still $1.28 to make the top 4 somehow. The miss the 4 market isn't up but id assume wed be around 4-5$

Next weeks game vs Freo will decide it I think.

Obliterated in ground balls excluding centre clearances in the second half. Stop bombing the ball to a ruck in a 1v3 and having it come straight back. Mids went AWOL in the second half and having max jackson salem and May all in s**t form is killing us. Hibbo and petty the only guys in the back 6 playing well right now.

Obliterated in ground balls excluding centre clearances in the second half. Stop bombing the ball to a ruck in a 1v3 and having it come straight back. Mids went AWOL in the second half and having max jackson salem and May all in s**t form is killing us. Hibbo and petty the only guys in the back 6 playing well right now.

I thought Petty was very ordinary tonight, let the ball get over the back far too much, he was one of the main culprits when it came to terrible spoiling and going to ground.

We are still $1.28 to make the top 4 somehow. The miss the 4 market isn't up but id assume wed be around 4-5$

Next weeks game vs Freo will decide it I think.
oh, nah its definitely gone now. in fact, we'll likely be 2 games outside the top 4 anyway. I find it annoying that I got kicked out of the other thread for 'trolling' even though my genuine view was that we'd come 6th or 7th. And it turns out we're odds on favourite to finish on 14 wins which puts us in 6th or 7th. Grinds my gears that people get so defensive when all I do is look at how terrible we've been playing all season long, look at your fixture and join the dots.

TopKent, maybe its time you do some ladder predictors. We've only got ourselves to blame. We get smashed in centre clearances every week, but we never change the starting midfielders. We had to wait for Ben Brown to get injured before we kicked our highest score for a long time, definitely no coincidence and our non existent zone after we kick a behind is pathetic. You may as well let them advance it to half way before commencing play. A bloody hard season to watch in 2022.

We get smashed in centre clearances every week, but we never change the starting midfielders.
and our non existent zone after we kick a behind is pathetic. You may as well let them advance it to half way before commencing play. A bloody hard season to watch in 2022.

Agree with these parts. Really good point about how easy it is for teams on kick ins.

I dont agree with Brown being out as the catlyst for us kicking our second highest score. Weid pretty much played exactly Brown's game tonight, got on the end of some good delivery inside 50 on the lead and was flogged up on the wings when trying to compete.

Think our higher scoring had far more to do with the Dogs shitty defense which has leaked goals most of the season

New to posting here - please don't insult my intelligence by calling me one of Danster's alts.

First game since 2018 I haven't watched so keen to clarify something. Some posts make it sound like we played a riskier game and went for more free flowing movement rather than a defensive slog. Is that the case, or were we outplayed?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with these parts. Really good point about how easy it is for teams on kick ins.

I dont agree with Brown being out and us kicking our second highest score. Weid pretty much played exactly Brown's game tonight, got on the end of some good delivery inside 50 on the lead o=and was flogged up on the wings when trying to compete.

Think our highest score had far more to do with the Dogs shitty defense which has leaked goals most of the season
well yeah, I guess it comes down to our differing views on Brown. I personally think it's no coincidence.

But yeah, the hopeless defensive zone we set up has been a problem from round 1.

oh, nah its definitely gone now. in fact, we'll likely be 2 games outside the top 4 anyway. I find it annoying that I got kicked out of the other thread for 'trolling' even though my genuine view was that we'd come 6th or 7th. And it turns out we're odds on favourite to finish on 14 wins which puts us in 6th or 7th. Grinds my gears that people get so defensive when all I do is look at how terrible we've been playing all season long, look at your fixture and join the dots.

TopKent, maybe its time you do some ladder predictors. We've only got ourselves to blame. We get smashed in centre clearances every week, but we never change the starting midfielders. We had to wait for Ben Brown to get injured before we kicked our highest score for a long time, definitely no coincidence and our non existent zone after we kick a behind is pathetic. You may as well let them advance it to half way before commencing play. A bloody hard season to watch in 2022.
Except we won the centre clearances 20-13.

we did? yikes. what was the stoppage clearances then?
Lost the stoppage clearances 32-18. They're the ones we lose every week because we play less mids around the ball and set up to intercept the quick clearance.

Hey Guys, sorry for the intrusion.

Just thought I'd chip in with some outside perspective after being at the game tonight. I think the biggest difference maker happened before the game even started. If Lever plays tonight I genuinely think you win by 6+ goals. With Bruce being so underdone and May controlling Naughton, I think Lever playing just takes Jamarra out of the game completely. It doesn't help to have some players out but I think your tall forwards (or forward line in general?) looked really disorganized. You guys looked most threatening directly out of the middle with a quick handball chain which freed up a mid running into F50 and taking a shot. I think if your forwards read the play a bit better there were significant opportunities to hit up a lead forward and have a set shot from 35m out directly in front as opposed to a mid taking a shot on the run with perceived pressure around. To carry on from this, I think Gawn made a really bad error by trying to grab the ball out of the ruck repeatedly, by doing so he basically took your mids out of the game and allowed us to rebound from his rushed kicks inside 50, which is what we heavily relied on to score because our forward structure isn't much better.

All in all, I wouldn't be too discouraged with the result, I think a loss like that lights a fire under you, and with some key players coming back in I think you'll finish the season strongly heading into the finals.

I dont agree with Brown being out as the catlyst for us kicking our second highest score. Weid pretty much played exactly Brown's game tonight, got on the end of some good delivery inside 50 on the lead and was flogged up on the wings when trying to compete.

Think our higher scoring had far more to do with the Dogs shitty defense which has leaked goals most of the season
Lol we scored so freely because of clearances and we completely gave up defending. Personnel had nothing to do with it again. We gave up everything that made us successful to roll the dice on a clearance game that would be 5-5 played out 10 times. That was essendon style footy

Just thought I'd chip in with some outside perspective after being at the game tonight. I think the biggest difference maker happened before the game even started. If Lever plays tonight I genuinely think you win by 6+ goals. With Bruce being so underdone and May controlling Naughton, I think Lever playing just takes Jamarra out of the game completely. It doesn't help to have some players out but I think your tall forwards (or forward line in general?) looked really disorganized. You guys looked most threatening directly out of the middle with a quick handball chain which freed up a mid running into F50 and taking a shot. I think if your forwards read the play a bit better there were significant opportunities to hit up a lead forward and have a set shot from 35m out directly in front as opposed to a mid taking a shot on the run with perceived pressure around. To carry on from this, I think Gawn made a really bad error by trying to grab the ball out of the ruck repeatedly, by doing so he basically took your mids out of the game and allowed us to rebound from his rushed kicks inside 50, which is what we heavily relied on to score because our forward structure isn't much better.

All in all, I wouldn't be too discouraged with the result, I think a loss like that lights a fire under you, and with some key players coming back in I think you'll finish the season strongly heading into the finals.
Bolded part is bang on.

Well yeah we don't have any key forwards. Weideman is the best key forward on our list, followed by Ben Brown who thankfully was out tonight. We desperately need to hit the draft with the Luke Jackson picks and pick up 2-3 or even 4 key forwards. That's how light on we are. Agree with the Gawn thing. I'm not sure what he's thinking. He should've just smacked it forward.

The thing I'm most annoyed about is the umpiring. The Garcia fend off and then tackle, not holding the ball. And then Petracca tackling Bont who tried to handball and missed the whole damn ball. Not to mention the 4 or 5 marks where the dogs player never controlled it and they paid it. Also very harsh on Jack Viney for holding the ball when he hadn't even been swung 360 and he got a boot to the ball. A 6 goal influence the umpires tonight. Frustrating as hell.

Lol we scored so freely because of clearances and we completely gave up defending. Personnel had nothing to do with it again. We gave up everything that made us successful to roll the dice on a clearance game that would be 5-5 played out 10 times. That was essendon style footy

I said personal had nothing to do with our score. We still played the same boring kick down the line s**t for a lot of the game. Against a better defensive side we dont kick 100 points, probably nowhere near it.

I think someone mentioned it before but I need to repeat it, ZERO tackles inside 50... ******* ZERO ...how is that a thing?
Think thats a little bit of a false stat. We scored from like half our inside 50s midway through the third im pretty sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back