Traded Brodie Grundy [Traded to Melbourne for #27]

Remove this Banner Ad

So the Pies had Witts, traded for nothing so they could keep two time AA and BnF Grundy.

Now they trade Grundy and pay part of his salary so they can keep Darcy Cameron and Mason Cox.
Oh My Wow GIF

I forgot they offloaded Witts for peanuts as well. 😳

If he breaks down, and they’re paying the last 2-3 years of his contract for him to be on the sidelines, that’s still a win for them?

Not saying it’ll happen, but it’s not a win for the Dees unless he stays fit, and plays out his full 5 years.

Can’t just say it’s a win for them regardless.
Normally, when one evaluates a trade it's done so as though the player will get a reasonable run with injuries, otherwise what you're saying would apply to McStay or every other player that's traded. I'm sure we've checked out any potential injury concerns.

Prior to the last 12 months he has averaged over 20 games per season across 8 years.

But, I don't really care about ''winning'' trades. I care about net gains vs net losses and the quality of the list and team that runs out each season.

It's only a win if Grundy is a Melbourne premiership player.
I’m with you and value trades based on premiership success, but I wouldn’t call this a complete failure if he plays for another 5 years and becomes a very good ruckman for the Dees in that time.

Gawn can be legitimately dangerous up forward. Would be better value than a chook like Ben Brown.

The biggest surprise in all this is that Graham Wright agreed to this trade without including a convoluted swap of 3rd and 4th round picks

So the Pies had Witts, traded for nothing so they could keep two time AA and BnF Grundy.

Now they trade Grundy and pay part of his salary so they can keep Darcy Cameron and Mason Cox.
Hindsight is a beautiful thing, isn’t it?

What did the Hawks get for a young Gary Ablett? How did the Lions go trading in Beams for pick 5 and Jack Crisp?

It’s not uncommon for some to be hits and some to be misses.

Gawn can be legitimately dangerous up forward. Would be better value than a chook like Ben Brown.
Can he? He's done it once and that was playing from the ruck.

Normally, when one evaluates a trade it's done so as though the player will get a reasonable run with injuries, otherwise what you're saying would apply to McStay or every other player that's traded. I'm sure we've checked out any potential injury concerns.

Prior to the last 12 months he has averaged over 20 games per season across 8 years.

But, I don't really care about ''winning'' trades. I care about net gains vs net losses and the quality of the list and team that runs out each season.
I’m with ya, I was responding to someone saying this trade is an automatic win for the Dees regardless.

Can he? He's done it once and that was playing from the ruck.

Been alright in glimpses. Doesn't need to be hit on the tit to take a mark. Out of the pair he would be more useful up forward with Grundy doing more of the ruck work. Might be more value between the pair than with Jackson spending 35% of games on the bench.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When was the last time a side won a Grand Final with 2 top shelf ruckman heading their onball division?

The last few decades there has been few elite ruckman winning flags. Gawn last year was one, Cox in 2006, maybe Lade in 2004? Otherwise a lot of premiership sides get by with ruckman who wouldn't be Top 5 in the league when they won a premiership medal. Stanley this year, Nankervis, Lycett, McEvoy, Mumford, Ottens, Jolly, Blake, Bailey, etc.

The Dees are really trying to overcompensate for losing Jackson here, but they aren't addressing any structural weaknesses. Grundy and Jackson are also very different style ruckman.

Genuine Hail Mary trade IMO.

Last edited:
When was the last time a side won a Grand Final with 2 top shelf ruckman heading their onball division?

The last few decades there has been few elite ruckman winning flags. Gawn last year was one, Cox in 2006, maybe Lade in 2004? Otherwise a lot of premiership sides get by with ruckman who wouldn't be Top 5 in the league when they won a premiership medal. Stanley this year, Nankervis, Lycett, McEvoy, Mumford, Ottens, Jolly, Blake, Bailey, etc.

The Dees are really trying to overcompensate for losing Jackson here, but they aren't addressing any structural weaknesses. Grundy and Jackson are also very different style ruckman.

Genuine Hail Mary trade IMO.
Maybe we should copy everyone else ...

Love to see Gawn Grundy vs Cameron Cox rd 1 Friday night what odds..?
I've watched enough Queen's Birthday thrashings to know that Cox and Cameron kick three each and win the hit out and mark counts in this scenario.

Pies paying 150k a year. Grundy taken a cut around 100k a year to facilitate the move
Absolute bullshit. Grundy HAS NOT taking a pay cut from the team that wanted to cut him loose.

He is still on $1m per season for the next 5 years and Collingwood are paying $300k per year.

Suck on them apples Magpies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back