Autopsy Cats lose to Freo by 29 in Perth.

Remove this Banner Ad

I do agree in the sense that i think cegs cant cover as much ground as stanley so blitz is having to cover more ground than he normally would..that said he has a better tank than most but he could use a rest.

The main ones i was thinking of are tuohy who we know has been carrying back issues and looks injured to me. Duncan (who is now injured), off a limited pre season will need management (as will hawkins potentially for same reason). Ceglar will need a rest as soon as we have another fit ruck. Bews doesnt look right to me and it wouldnt surprise me if hes playing injured (again we cant do much until bowes is back). Smith is playing well but at his age im sure we would have rested him by now if we had less injuries.

So these are the guys i expect to see 'managed' once we have a shorter injury list.

Its the furry side of a mature list .... we could have several that just tip over the edge together. The trick for the Master of Management will be to get us into the finals ..somehow ..somewhere ..... in the best possible condition.

WE have seen it many time that getting there top 4 but at the cost of being at our best in Sept is a fools errand... Finishing bottom 4 but in our best nick is risky ... away grounds etc ... but its still only four games.... and most on the list now know tehy can win it...if fullf fit and in form. Will will know by August. Storm home ... when our season finishes.... Freo, Port Adelaide , Collingwood , StKilda , Bulldogs ...

Come home like a train ... we can win it still. If we are not in our best kick ...that last group of games could see us miss the finals.

This !! Worst game Stewart has played for a long time. Very poor I thought.

I had a rush of nostalgia watching Kolo this week.
Instinctively thought of you with that signature kick across goal 30m out.He needs to put that back in the kitbag.

Amazing how emotional and over the top a subset of supporters get after a loss or god forbid, a couple of losses. We're missing players, the ones out there are largely in a mini form rut and we should bounce back but there's no guarantee. Surely all of this can be discussed without personal attacks, baiting, "I told you so"s and the rest. We have no idea how things will pan out from here and that's part of the fun. Let's see if we can be one of the defending premiers who go through a difficult phase and then sharpen up at the business end. If it's too late, so be it. But there are plenty of clouds to yell at outside if you can't cope with a rough patch by the GFC.
It would be amazing if it wasn’t so predictable.

Yeah, statistically speaking, a team coming into a GF from outside the Top 4 is unlikely to win, but our hope here - should we miss Top 4 - is that it's not impossible.....a la 2016.
GWS in 2019 and Bulldogs again in 2021 also made it to the GF from these positions. They simply weren't the best team on the final day. I rate the full strength 2023 Geelong side ahead of those if they are in form.

Since the pre-finals bye was introduced, twice the recently crowned premiers Richmond were just one game from falling into 5th. A couple more unlucky injuries for one game and they may well have finished 5th once or twice in those years. Would it have been impossible for them to win 4 finals in a row - beating Essendon, Geelong, Brisbane and GWS in 2019? Of course not. In 2020 to beat Collingwood, Geelong, Brisbane and Port in 4 consecutive games would not necessarily be beyond them. Not when they were in that form, a team full of premiership stars with their full list at the right time.

I was surprised so many people were so positive about our chances for the last two weeks.

As soon as I saw Danger going off injured in the Crows game I knew we were in strife for the away Tiges/Freo games with so many outs that just kept coming.

I don't expect us to finish top 4 and all I hope for is that we can have a fullish list of players to choose from in the last half of the year and get on a bit of a roll and hit the finals in form (if we make them).

We really haven't beaten a thing this year either.

West Coast and Hawks were two gimme games.
Sydney was at home and they were decimated (like we are now).
Essendon are a middle of the road team and we got them off a 5-day break.
Crom also just average and we got them at home.

We should handle GWS at home no stress next week and then it'll be a big one V the dogs going into the bye.

Win the next two and we will still feel like we are hanging in there.

If the season falls apart it'll suck but at least we won it last year.

I'm not sure the depth is as good as people think it is... Guys like Danger dominating can really cover over some issues.

When Danger was playing poorly early in the year we lost... then he caught fire and we started winning... He goes out and we start losing again, he is still very important to us (obviously).

Injuries will stop a steam train and we got plenty.

We have looked really good when we have won, but very very ordinary when we have lost. Middle of the road. We just appeared so slow and the opposition moved the ball far too easily. These last couple of games in particular has shown that our next generation of players are not ready to step up just yet. The biggest disappointment has been the drop off from our more established players who have been available.
Unfortunately I don’t see a scenario where we get anywhere close to repeating our long winning streak last year.

We are 5-5 now. We have a really tough draw in the 2nd half of the game. Therefore our true home games will be key. We have the following 7 games left at Kardinia Park.
  • R11: GWS
  • R15: Melb
  • R17: North Melb
  • R18: Essendon
  • R20: Freo
  • R21: Port
  • R24: WB

I’d say we will need to win at least 6 of those 7 games, otherwise there’s a real risk we miss finals. Realistically we finish anywhere between 6th and 10th now.

Last edited:
We have looked really good when we have won, but very very ordinary when we have lost. Middle of the road. We just appeared so slow and the opposition moved the ball far too easily. These last couple of games in particular has shown that our next generation of players are not ready to step up just yet.
Unfortunately I don’t see a scenario where we get anywhere close to repeating our long winning streak last year.

We are 5-5 now. We have a really tough draw in the 2nd half of the game. Therefore our true home games will be key. We have the following 7 games left at Kardinia Park.

I’d say we will need to win at least 6 of those 7 games, otherwise there’s a real risk we miss finals. Realistically we finish anywhere between 6th and 10th now.
I don't think we have looked particularly good in our wins, often on the back of one good quarter. We haven't got near our form in the later half of 2022. We might still do that but it won't be happening in a hurry. The important thing is to make finals and be in winning form.

You know we weren't necessarily the most gifted team last year. We won the flag because we had the necessary ingredients: top forwards, backs and mids. Plus coach and game plan. Plus chemistry.

As for this year, we don't need endless reminders of who is missing. But that shouldn't preclude us from critiquing our current performance, as some would seem to think.

I will take issue with the criticism of Knevitt and Bruhn. Bruhn butchers the ball because like many young players he's got more time than he thinks; he will improve his disposal efficiency over time. Knevitt is an unusual player who in time could be very hard to match up on.

We can beat GWS; we'll probably lose to the Dogs and then it's let's see what happens after the bye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know we weren't necessarily the most gifted team last year.

Yes we were.

Best forwardline personnel. Best backline personnel. Best utility in the comp.

The only area in which we were not the most gifted was midfield depth, where quite a few teams had us covered.

As a whole though, we had more talent across every line than the next best teams in the comp. It wasn't just game plan that won us the flag.

We have looked really good when we have won, but very very ordinary when we have lost. Middle of the road. We just appeared so slow and the opposition moved the ball far too easily. These last couple of games in particular has shown that our next generation of players are not ready to step up just yet. The biggest disappointment has been the drop off from our more established players who have been available.

We will not look so slow when both Duncan and Bowes are back in the side at the same time - two quality ball users and decision makers. Turning the ball over and having scrap fest games is not helping us, especially when we are not a clearance scoring team without Dangerfield. Tuohy is skilled but has lost half a second so is rushed.

Bruhn has areas to improve but is fine as a midfield rotation until Guthrie is back.

Stengle getting match fit and Rohan's return will help stop easy defensive transition. It will also release J.Henry to defence - who at the moment would be our most agile and athletic defender even if he is technically a "tall". Likewise for De Koning. The other defenders nonetheless have to improve as it is often them losing their man or 1v1 contests up on the wing/half back that then exposes their deeper team mates.

With a full squad we should win all of our home games. Then it's one more win for finals, or three more wins for top 4. We may need a decent scalp on the road or at the G now - Port, Brisbane or Collingwood. We will have to overcome them if we make finals anyway so effectively it will be like an early series of finals. Nothing wrong with that if we rediscover personnel and form in time.

We will not look so slow when both Duncan and Bowes are back in the side at the same time - two quality ball users and decision makers. Turning the ball over and having scrap fest games is not helping us, especially when we are not a clearance scoring team without Dangerfield. Tuohy is skilled but has lost half a second so is rushed.

Bruhn has areas to improve but is fine as a midfield rotation until Guthrie is back.

Stengle getting match fit and Rohan's return will help stop easy defensive transition. It will also release J.Henry to defence - who at the moment would be our most agile and athletic defender even if he is technically a "tall". Likewise for De Koning. The other defenders nonetheless have to improve as it is often them losing their man or 1v1 contests up on the wing/half back that then exposes their deeper team mates.

With a full squad we should win all of our home games. Then it's one more win for finals, or three more wins for top 4. We may need a decent scalp on the road or at the G now - Port, Brisbane or Collingwood. We will have to overcome them if we make finals anyway so effectively it will be like an early series of finals. Nothing wrong with that if we rediscover personnel and form in time.
DeKoning and Henry back. Is there still a place for Sav?

DeKoning and Henry back. Is there still a place for Sav?
I know it seems very tall but remember, we used to play 4 talls quite successfully and this was with older/slower players. Whereas J.Henry, De Koning and Ratugolea are really athletic and quick. Even Kolo to a degree, although I guess he is the slowest of that group.

This might seem harsh but Z.Guthrie, Bews and Tuohy are not impressing me defensively or on transition lately. They just don't seem to have 1v1 stopping power and the last two of them are getting on a bit.

FB: J.Henry Ratugolea O'Connor
HB: Stewart De Koning Z.Guthrie

IC: Kolo

As the 7 defenders maybe. With J.Henry an option to swing forward, or O'Connor more as a utility. You're right though it will be tough to squeeze players in when we also have Duncan and Bowes to worry about as well. But I'd happily take that problem than being heavily depleted.

Geelong still has to play PA twice and Bulldogs twice. Their destiny is in their own hands. Beating teams above them is important because those teams will be vying for top 4 or at least top 6. The way we are playing it's not going to happen. I can't see us doing it playing Bews (who has dropped right off) or Simpson. However we haven't got an obvious replacement for Bews. Our backline is very top heavy with one paced players who struggle when the ball hits the ground. Maybe there is another young player who can play that small defender role.

Geelong still has to play PA twice and Bulldogs twice. Their destiny is in their own hands. Beating teams above them is important because those teams will be vying for top 4 or at least top 6. The way we are playing it's not going to happen. I can't see us doing it playing Bews (who has dropped right off) or Simpson. However we haven't got an obvious replacement for Bews. Our backline is very top heavy with one paced players who struggle when the ball hits the ground. Maybe there is another young player who can play that small defender role.

We will have to pinch some games but look at the top 8.
Other than melb pretty much all teams have a % 130 or below. Theres several teams in the top 8 that are barely above 110 %.
This tells you a couple if things.
One is the comp is even and apart from hawks and wce (and not every team has played them both yet) no one is smashing anyone consistently.
It also tells you there are no standout teams.
Hence if we get fit and in form (which we are not we lack cohesion due to all the changes) we can win a run of games and end up top 4, and if we are not fit we wont do that anyway.

I know it seems very tall but remember, we used to play 4 talls quite successfully and this was with older/slower players. Whereas J.Henry, De Koning and Ratugolea are really athletic and quick. Even Kolo to a degree, although I guess he is the slowest of that group.

This might seem harsh but Z.Guthrie, Bews and Tuohy are not impressing me defensively or on transition lately. They just don't seem to have 1v1 stopping power and the last two of them are getting on a bit.

FB: J.Henry Ratugolea O'Connor
HB: Stewart De Koning Z.Guthrie

IC: Kolo

As the 7 defenders maybe. With J.Henry an option to swing forward, or O'Connor more as a utility. You're right though it will be tough to squeeze players in when we also have Duncan and Bowes to worry about as well. But I'd happily take that problem than being heavily depleted.
J Henry, Ratu, SDK, Kolo - quick?
I dons thin so! Maybe in a straight line but not when they have to turn to chase an opponent or bouncing ball. O'Connor and Bews are quicker and more mobile but Bews is hopelessly out of form, lacks fitness and has lost some speed. We desperately need a small zippy defender.

Bews and Simpson will make way for others as they come back. Jack Henry cannot play forward and I reckon he won't displace Kolo down back. Tuohy tuohy slow. We desperately need Rohan Dangerfield and Cuthrie back before we will do any damage. In all honesty that was a belting today. Freo ran rings around us, walked out of tackles, did as they pleased. On a positive note Bruhn was our best player and Stengle was good coming back from injury.
Simpson is a good reserves player. I don't see him winning contested ball. A robot like mechanical player with no instincts. Doesn't seem to get much scrutiny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back