Player Watch Jake Soligo - Showdown Medalist!

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not talking about Soligo in a vacuum, I mean Rachelle, Larkey etc all of these players signing inexplicable, long extensions.

Clubs should be wary of long deals like this, but suddenly across the league they’re not?

Smells fishy. And if the players find their contracts are under market in a few years they’re gonna be unhappy; and if they’re above market then the club is unhappy

This just feels like one party knows something the other doesn’t?

Anyway…
Yeah I get the point you are making.

I just thought it odd with Soligo in particular. Second year player, shown a bit, not a high draft pick. Locks himself away for 6.

Seems risky for both parties.

The clubs around the league are clearly anticipating a significant uplift in the salary cap in the upcoming CBA and ensuing years.

Might these players jumping at significant long term deals come to resent these agreements in time?

Clubs are suspiciously confident in ways that should concern players over the duration

As in what does the league know that agents and players don’t?

Locking yourself out of future uplifts is a delicate balance, and what seems great today might not be so attractive if the other side has information that you don’t?

we all know how clubs or players get very disgruntled very quickly if a front/backloaded contract is out of step with the market
Seems unlikely clubs would all have important info about future cap that wouldn’t be known to players through their union or through leaks

Yeah I get the point you are making.

I just thought it odd with Soligo in particular. Second year player, shown a bit, not a high draft pick. Locks himself away for 6.

Seems risky for both parties.
Depends on the terms of the contract.

I'm sure a fair chunk of the contract is incentive based.

Hardly risky for Soligo as he has ensured his financial security.

Crows reckon he will be a quality long term player & there would be a discount for the length of the contract.

Probably a factor too in his good mate Rachele signing up for the same term.

Shown more than a bit!!
Will be shocked if he isn't a quality 200+ game player as you can see he has the tools & the desire.

Think it was Crow till I die who likened him to Kane Johnson which I reckon is a good comparison.

I’m not talking about Soligo in a vacuum, I mean Rachelle, Larkey etc all of these players signing inexplicable, long extensions.

Clubs should be wary of long deals like this, but suddenly across the league they’re not?

Smells fishy. And if the players find their contracts are under market in a few years they’re gonna be unhappy; and if they’re above market then the club is unhappy

Anyway…
Why is is fishy?

There is Tasmania coming into the competition.

Contacts can have incentives built into them to take into consideration performance.

Crows have been front loading contracts with an inexperienced list... which is allowing us to target free agents.

It's not a bad strategy to lock in our best young talent as we climb up the ladder.

Better than the alternative watching the likes of Lever, Dangerfield, Cameron & McGovern walk from the club as we are looking to contend.

Depends on the terms of the contract.

I'm sure a fair chunk of the contract is incentive based.

Hardly risky for Soligo as he has ensured his financial security.

Crows reckon he will be a quality long term player & there would be a discount for the length of the contract.

Probably a factor too in his good mate Rachele signing up for the same term.
Zak Butters signed for 2 in 22. He can write his own ticket now. He’d be glad he didn’t extend for 6 in his second year you’d think. This is what I’m getting at.

Zak Butters signed for 2 in 22. He can write his own ticket now. He’d be glad he didn’t extend for 6 in his second year you’d think. This is what I’m getting at.
Soligo just became a multimillionaire... so I don't think he is too worried.

They built in financial incentives.

I think you'll find Sog isn't exactly playing for free in the later years of the contract.

Unsure about this case but you would get the odd player that would take unders because they don't really need the money due to family wealth. Would be pretty rare though.

Anyway…

These long deals wouldn’t happen if contracts in the AFL meant something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The clubs around the league are clearly anticipating a significant uplift in the salary cap in the upcoming CBA and ensuing years.

Might these players jumping at significant long term deals come to resent these agreements in time?

Clubs are suspiciously confident in ways that should concern players over the duration

As in what does the league know that agents and players don’t?

Locking yourself out of future uplifts is a delicate balance, and what seems great today might not be so attractive if the other side has information that you don’t?

we all know how clubs or players get very disgruntled very quickly if a front/backloaded contract is out of step with the market
dont most player contracts have CBA linked uplifts

Anyway…

Player agents - at least as a collective - aren’t stupid. They would be all over this

The contracts would likely be indexed to cap increases - and great security for young players to lock in good money contracts - clubs benefit by having more say in go home factor plus the Tassie inclusion

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Who wanted to go to Gold Coast? Or GWS? Nathan Bock and Phil Davis say hello.

Gold Coast? Everyone.
Sydney? One of the great cities of the world
Tasmania… retirees? Lovely place, but no chance of success;

The thing with these contracts isn’t that they’re long - with all the rights and wrongs that go along with it - it’s that they’ve come in a rush, out of nowhere across the league, even from teams like us.

From teams like us!

How is that not sus?

Player agents - at least as a collective - aren’t stupid. They would be all over this

The contracts would likely be indexed to cap increases - and great security for young players to lock in good money contracts - clubs benefit by having more say in go home factor plus the Tassie inclusion

Is that permitted? There are salary capped leagues around the world, from which we draw influence, that do not allow such terms

And we know the league office has fought tooth and nail to stop the players TPP being index linked to overall revenue.

I don’t know, but I wouldn’t presume that’s allowed in individual player contracts

Something has happened though, the calculus has changed for teams

Is that permitted? There are salary capped leagues around the world, from which we draw influence, that do not allow such terms

And we know the league office has fought tooth and nail to stop the players TPP being index linked to overall revenue.

I don’t know, but I wouldn’t presume that’s allowed in individual player contracts

According to the article posted by Mutineer in the drafts and trading thread, it is allowed, and clubs have a mix of indexed and non-indexed contracts.

Gold Coast? Everyone.
Sydney? One of the great cities of the world
Tasmania… retirees? Lovely place, but no chance of success;

The thing with these contracts isn’t that they’re long - with all the rights and wrongs that go along with it - it’s that they’ve come in a rush, out of nowhere across the league, even from teams like us.

From teams like us!

How is that not sus?

Sus indeed.

We get the yearly articles talking about clubs having the right to trade a player under contract without the all clear from the player.

Could this be gaining traction?

Is the something that happened possibly just that one club offered it, and now players know that there are teams willing to offer it, so they demand it, and if the player is good enough they get it?

I don’t think a shift in trend necessarily means something suspicious.

Is the something that happened possibly just that one club offered it, and now players know that there are teams willing to offer it, so they demand it, and if the player is good enough they get it?

I don’t think a shift in trend necessarily means something suspicious.

Players with 2 years remaining offered long extensions is very definitely new

Now these players have accepted the terms because they involved some very tasty $$ and they feel adequately compensated for locking in for that long

With all the risks involved, the clubs were happy enough to start offering them…

There’s something in the wind

Players with 2 years remaining offered long extensions is very definitely new

Now these players have accepted the terms because they involved some very tasty $$ and they feel adequately compensated for locking in for that long

With all the risks involved, the clubs were happy enough to start offering them…

There’s something in the wind
Could that something be that clubs are anticipating players wanting big pay rises so trying to lock them down early, and the players are willing to accept that for long term security?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back