Player Watch Jake Soligo - Showdown Medalist!

Remove this Banner Ad

But embarrassing for the journalists pushing for Sogs to speculate on Rachele, but an interesting comment from one that we are close to signing Rach on to a similar deal. Nice of Soligo to throw Nank into the mix too though - hopefully he can make the grade (still not sure what position he plays though).

Love this signing.

Now I want him to take his strength and fitness to the next level.

Soli's body still looks kind of soft to me, unlike Rach who already looks ripped.

With his skillset, strength is going to be critical.

Want to see a ball of muscle when he comes back next season.

Love this signing.

Now I want him to take his strength and fitness to the next level.

Soli's body still looks kind of soft to me, unlike Rach who already looks ripped.

With his skillset, strength is going to be critical.

Want to see a ball of muscle when he comes back next season.
He actually seemed stronger in the contest last year which is weird.

Pardon the intrusion but has Soligo shown that much to be given such a long deal? Dollars probably aren't massive but feels like a couple of years too long?

Pardon the intrusion but has Soligo shown that much to be given such a long deal? Dollars probably aren't massive but feels like a couple of years too long?
Absolute gun and going to be elite. Great skills and game sense. Averaging 17 possessions for a part time mid.

Its all on potential. He certainly has shown he is good..inconsistency at this stage. I see him as becoming a very similar player to Kane Johnson

I thought he was a lock for 200 plus games on what he showed last year and he's continued that this year. Had a few quieter games, but he is already pretty consistent when used on ball. He uses the ball very well - noticeably better than what we've had in the Crows midfield for some time. He won't shirk the issue and his pace is good enough. Pure footballer. Glad to have him on a long contract as it will be his generation that will need to step up and steer the club to some success and the commitment he and Rachele have shown shows they are here to stay and be part of that leadership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he was a lock for 200 plus games on what he showed last year and he's continued that this year. Had a few quieter games, but he is already pretty consistent when used on ball. He uses the ball very well - noticeably better than what we've had in the Crows midfield for some time. He won't shirk the issue and his pace is good enough. Pure footballer. Glad to have him on a long contract as it will be his generation that will need to step up and steer the club to some success and the commitment he and Rachele have shown shows they are here to stay and be part of that leadership.
I think the length of the contracts may have something to do with the Tasmanian team coming in 2028. Those two won’t be touchable

I doubt you will find anyone of significance unhappy that the Crows are locking down their quality young talent for the long term.

Soligo has shown he has the tools to become a quality 200+ game midfielder.

Probably a couple of years longer than it needed to be, but the club certainly won't complain. Soligo has shown he has the skills to be a very good midfielder, and frankly we're going to need him there considering many of our regular mids are getting on in years.

Soligo is not near the end of his current contract. So the risk of losing him was low.

He's clearly an exceptionally talented player. So there's little benefit to Soligo in locking himself to a single club for such a long time (and out of potential better offers.)

He also has a bad consistency problem currently. The sort of thing that can be easily fixed with a pre-season discussion with the proper motivation. But less easily if a player knows he is secure for most of a decade.

There's also a lesser issue that he's probably in the worst form since he became a regular player at the moment. And gets a 7 year deal as a reward.

IMHO. There's the high risk the club ends up either being sold a bill of goods; Or with a bitter player looking for a way out of the bad deal they've locked themselves into.
I would suggest there is benefit to Soligo locking himself in. With such assured income and stabiltiy he will now easily qualify for a very substantial house loan.

I would suggest there is benefit to Soligo locking himself in. With such assured income and stabiltiy he will now easily qualify for a very substantial house loan.

The clubs around the league are clearly anticipating a significant uplift in the salary cap in the upcoming CBA and ensuing years.

Might these players jumping at significant long term deals come to resent these agreements in time?

Clubs are suspiciously confident in ways that should concern players over the duration

As in what does the league know that agents and players don’t?

Locking yourself out of future uplifts is a delicate balance, and what seems great today might not be so attractive if the other side has information that you don’t?

we all know how clubs or players get very disgruntled very quickly if a front/backloaded contract is out of step with the market

The clubs around the league are clearly anticipating a significant uplift in the salary cap in the upcoming CBA and ensuing years.

Might these players jumping at significant long term deals come to resent these agreements in time?

Clubs are suspiciously confident in ways that should concern players over the duration

Locking yourself out of future uplifts is a delicate balance, and what seems great today might not be so attractive if the other side has information that you don’t?

we all know how clubs or players get very disgruntled very quickly if a front/backloaded contract is out of step with the market
Any player who gets disgruntled over his own decisions is a bitch.

I couldn’t help think of Scottie Pippen when Soligo’s deal was announced.

Not saying he’s going to be a superstar of the league, and we don’t know the dollars. But it’s a bloody long deal for a second year player who would attract plenty of Victorian interest should he keep improving over the next couple of years.

I couldn’t help think of Scottie Pippen when Soligo’s deal was announced.

Not saying he’s going to be a superstar of the league, and we don’t know the dollars. But it’s a bloody long deal for a second year player who would attract plenty of Victorian interest should he keep improving over the next couple of years.

I’m not talking about Soligo in a vacuum, I mean Rachelle, Larkey etc all of these players signing inexplicable, long extensions.

Clubs should be wary of long deals like this, but suddenly across the league they’re not?

Smells fishy. And if the players find their contracts are under market in a few years they’re gonna be unhappy; and if they’re above market then the club is unhappy

This just feels like one party knows something the other doesn’t?

Anyway…

I’m not talking about Soligo in a vacuum, I mean Rachelle, Larkey etc all of these players signing inexplicable, long extensions.

Clubs should be wary of long deals like this, but suddenly across the league they’re not?

Smells fishy. And if the players find their contracts are under market in a few years they’re gonna be unhappy; and if they’re above market then the club is unhappy

This just feels like one party knows something the other doesn’t?

Anyway…
It's about the Tasmanian team which comes in 2028. They'll be able to snap up uncontracted players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back