Toast Welcome to Freo Hayden Young – Fremantle’s 1st 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #7]

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think Chappy will have him covered long term. Now think Young is moving ahead of serong. On form yes, but also long term. And while I have some concerns for Serong I think he will win an AA or two and be a match winner. Basically we are stacked for talent. Delicious!

Young is staying on that half back flank and will be one of the best if not the best in that position in the comp. Chapman to my mind has to move up the ground to fully realise his talents.
Maybe the next evolution of the kind of game Hodgy played at his peak. Played half back but sometimes attended centre bounces etc. Sort of a AFL equivalent of an attacking libero?

Thinking about it a bit more, the year we got Mundy and Johnson playing full time, with Heath Black as our rebounding defender, and McPharlin as our fullback, was probably the first time we had a fully functional defence. Everything before that was makeshift and pretty rubbish. It was 2006, I remember Duffield’s debut being sirengate and thinking “we’ve got some talent in the backline”.

That back six plus Pav and Farmer was what got us to a prelim.

It's so cringe watching him, makes a lot of mistakes, called Longmuir Longmire during the interview and can't remember what day teams are playing on. Low standards for this man.
Australian Football is still strange like this. What with this guy and the other cave dweller, Rex Hunt, it's as if they can't be held to even basic standards of professionalism.

It's so cringe watching him, makes a lot of mistakes, called Longmuir Longmire during the interview and can't remember what day teams are playing on. Low standards for this man.

He's pathetic. I remember one week Robbo's "Monday hero" was Tabs after the Essendon game. Then he went on and said "I don't know how old he is ... I'll have a guess and say 26" or some rubbish. I mean, this wasn't a question somebody had asked him. It was his own segment and he couldn't even be bothered to look up basic details.

He's pathetic. I remember one week Robbo's "Monday hero" was Tabs after the Essendon game. Then he went on and said "I don't know how old he is ... I'll have a guess and say 26" or some rubbish. I mean, this wasn't a question somebody had asked him. It was his own segment and he couldn't even be bothered to look up basic details.
And he couldn't remember who Tabs was the other week either. And spent half the time taking about Fyfe playing as a 3rd tall when he spent most of the game as a midfielder against St Kilda.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now, this is a thing of beauty.

Hayden-Young-kicks..JPG

So glad JL has put Young into the midfield. Young's upside in the middle is higher than his upside at HB. He has the best potential out of anyone in our midfield to win a brownlow. He's also exactly what we need in there - a Mundy type inside/outside player with a deadly kick. Would love to start seeing him get on the end of possession chains around the fifty and launch his deadly left footers at goal.

Play Chapman back next year in Young's role and keep Young in the midfield.

Sheesh he's a player isn't he.

Until two weeks ago i was a little disappointed with his season and thought he might be one that doesn't quite reach that elite level. If he continues on as a midfielder next season and continues to develop like he projects to he could easily be a top 10 player in the comp.

Dare i say, our greatest #26.

I've been supremely pessimistic this season but seeing his last two weeks has addressed a lot of structural concerns that I've had going into next year.

He's not as powerful or dynamic as the best mids in the competition, but he has the class and aerial prowess that Brayshaw & Serong don't have so that balance looks really promising long term.

I've been supremely pessimistic this season but seeing his last two weeks has addressed a lot of structural concerns that I've had going into next year.

He's not as powerful or dynamic as the best mids in the competition, but he has the class and aerial prowess that Brayshaw & Serong don't have so that balance looks really promising long term.
I agree with you, plus we can cover his absence in defence.

We seem likely to delist both Wilson and Hamling despite both still being capable at the level, we will welcome back Walker and Chapman, we have Draper and Davies developing, and we have decided Worner as a half back flanker. Wagner looks like best 22 for now as well.

This is the method in the hitherto much-derided half-back flanker recruitment strategy. For every three HBFs (and of course you take three every year), you develop one into an elite midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back