Autopsy AFL 2023 First Semi Final (Week 2) - Demons v Blues Fri Sept 15th 7:50pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 17 8.4%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 67 33.2%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 73 36.1%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 16 7.9%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 17 8.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just stirring them up. Can't have them get too used to playing finals.
But Brisbane should be going straight through to the GF. The Blues have done well, but how much of that is emotion? Lions are on another level.

Brisbane should’ve played a Grand Final or two in this window, but haven’t.

Maybe not Port-like in 2002-03, but still underachieving. Like Port then, perhaps they’ll finally crack it

I think Blues can win next week.
Harry coming back in is huge. Despite kicking woes, still takes grabs and very important to structure/Curnow. Always high in score involvements.
Martin, Dow and Hollands also into 22 to freshen it up. More run.
Docherty and Acres to miss I think. Acres has been amazing, but looks really sore. I think next week would be just one to many. Cincotta, Marchbank to also make way.
Just my thoughts.

Would have been reviewing the footage in the break while the ads were playing and found that frame to be decisive. Come back and show the decisive shot and move on.
First time I've ever seen them do that.
I was watching on Foxtel. No ads, no replays.
Not saying there's anything in it, or that it wasn't touched. Just very odd to not show a single replay of it. Even for the broadcast.

To be going on about it (first time in 40 years Carlton, Collingwood in the prelim) on the final siren of Carlton’s biggest win in about 25 years is a bit much.

Just focus on the game Brian, it was pretty amazing.
It was a great game to watch leon

You’ve got a pretty narrow ******* memory. Played one of the best prelims ever a couple years ago but we’ll conveniently skip past that because it doesn’t suit your agenda.
Ignore him. He's just trolling.
There's been a noticeable shift in the way he posts in the past few months. I'm not a fan of the way he's been going about it.

Gawn is a star. Made a few poor errors last night, but not the first or last champ to do that.

Acres deserves credit but if you’re Melbourne fan you’ve got to be wondering how on a slow play from HBF with 1:40 left where you have possession does a turnover result in Carlton kicking to an outnumber in their forward line off a turnover. Surely some players made some fairly fundamental errors in their positioning
Majority of the melb bodies were on the near side running forward or clogging space down the line. The switch opened the corridor which we didn’t do a whole lot and acres sprinted as soon and the Weitering kick occurred creating an outnumber. Curnow pushed out to the fifty which left lever and may high and dry.

Maybe , but Carlton winning against the pies last time might out a few seeds into the heads of Collingwood players about it not being an easy contest
Carlton also have never lost to Collingwood in a GF. Either way it goes v brisbane I can’t see Coll winning. Another notch on their second place belt.

I think Blues can win next week.
Harry coming back in is huge. Despite kicking woes, still takes grabs and very important to structure/Curnow. Always high in score involvements.
Martin, Dow and Hollands also into 22 to freshen it up. More run.
Docherty and Acres to miss I think. Acres has been amazing, but looks really sore. I think next week would be just one to many. Cincotta, Marchbank to also make way.
Just my thoughts.
I've been saying the past couple weeks that Acres shouldn't be playing, but * me if he didn't, we probably don't win both games.
Wouldn't be surprised if he plays again next week.
Doubt Doc misses. Providing there was no muscle/ligament damage in the dislocation, he should be fine with strapping. Played the game out fine and didn't seem bothered by it after the game.
Only changes I'd consider are McKay and Martin back in. Not sure who for though.

A curious evening watching the semi. As an older life long Pies supporter with a long memory, I had no idea who to support. Tried to weigh up which result helped Pies more - but came up short. Who did I like the least? - next criteria. Well, Carlton hatred is in my DNA - reinforced by the misery of the 70s. Melbourne, for most of my life, have been irrelevant. Carlton, more so in my greying years. Decided to just let the game unfold and see where I landed. What a surprise - I was out of my seat when Acres drove the stake through the heart! That's how you do it. That what Elliot did to them, and this result will help clean that slate. For the first time in my life I was happy to see a Blues win. Because they deserved it! They never gave up. For the past two weeks, Melbourne have looked like a bunch of entitled Melbourne private school fops just expecting the opposition to move aside and let them take their rightful place where they expect to be. The Blues and the Pies weren't having it and Naarm didn't like it. Pickett smacking every second person in the head, Sparrow throwing people into the fence. This is the mob who spent the whole week trying to get Maynard out of the finals, assuming they'd have no trouble with Carlton. We may end up facing blues in a GF if we make it. Losing to them is unthinkable but at least they have my respect. Goodwin and his Covid kings good riddance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wait. Is it just Petty and VR out? Thatd be 1/3 of your forward line not half. Even less if you count the one on the bench. Just pointing that out because you are so hell bent on facts and statistics.
Melksham also. that makes 3. And before you say 'Melksham is no good'. He was in career best form. And the thing with Petty, JVR and Melksham is that they are all accurate kicks for goal. It also means that Tom McDonald wouldn't have been playing.

Melksham also. that makes 3. And before you say 'Melksham is no good'. He was in career best form. And the thing with Petty, JVR and Melksham is that they are all accurate kicks for goal. It also means that Tom McDonald wouldn't have been playing.
your coach decided McDonald was a better option than Grundy. Let it go mate.

Forgot Melksham. Even though most Melbourne fans didn't rate him or want him in the team he was a massive part of where you ended up. Good shout.

Don’t be too hard on them. There was a shortage of Jarlsberg cheese platters that day, enough to make any Dees Members super aggressive!
Some idiot in catering ordered Spanish olives, when they were told specifically that they needed Kalamata olives. Things went from bad to worse then the platters came out with Malaysian rather than Russian Caviar. They were rope-able before the first bounce.

Carlton have only won two finals due to their opponents not getting it done in front of goal. Alarm bells should be ringing because Sydney and Melbourne both probably would have won with only slightly better kicking.
… alarm bells should also be ringing because Brisbane kicked 19 goals 9 behinds in their win over Port Adelaide.

Melbourne and ‘HUBRIS’ often end up in the same sentence. For example, how bad was the decision to select Schache as the SUB in the first place, but to then not use him? Why select Schache, who is a third rate tall, and not select Grundy? In a game they lost by two points, the ability to rest Gawn and Grundy alternating in the goal square would have probably made the difference.

Melbourne and ‘HUBRIS’ often end up in the same sentence. For example, how bad was the decision to select Schache as the SUB in the first place, but to then not use him? Why select Schache, who is a third rate tall, and not select Grundy? In a game they lost by two points, the ability to rest Gawn and Grundy alternating in the goal square would have probably made the difference.
Why are we even talking about scrubs like Grundy and Schache? Maybe we talk about Ben Brown then too. We were dominating Carlton all over the ground but just couldn't kick straight. 17 behinds says it all.

Back