Rumour GFC 2023 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, this is making an appearance here also, and probably getting more useful as the season draws to a close and this discussion ramps up

Getting a pick in the 20s for a guy out of contract is not a terrible result.

I liken it to the Alan Christensen trade.. we thought that getting pick 21 was a bit average for him, but it netted us (premiership ruckman) Rhys Stanley. Christensen went on to achieve precisely what after playing in a flag with us?

Sometimes we're not looking at bigger pictures here.

I would never recover if we lost Esava and got a Stanley-esque player.

Isaac Smith is a client of the company where my daughter works and he told them in early March not to expect much from the Cats for the first part of the season because they had partied so hard and had such a delayed start to the preseason. It showed!
I think some of those comments by Smith and a few others have been conveniently overplayed. I'd imagine Smith saying that whilst also having a grin from ear to ear.

From all reports, the players had a shorter break but did return to training in pretty good shape. And the older players got a bit more time away but were all on programs to ensure they came back in good nick. The way some people have interpreted those comments is that players were at nightclubs 5 nights a week for most of preseason celebrating the win. Just wasn't the case. Some were given extended time away from the club but were all doing their own program.

Partridge part two:

Round 12

-Dangerfield, Duncan, Holmes, Stanley, C.Guthrie, Ratugolea, Bowes

Round 14

-C.Guthrie, Ratugolea, Stanley, Dangerfield (in-game), Bruhn (in-game)

Round 15

C.Guthrie, Ratugolea, Dangerfield, Cameron (in-game)

Round 16

-C.Guthrie, Cameron, O'Connor

Round 17

-C.Guthrie, Cameron, Smith, Kolo, Bews

Round 18

-C.Guthrie, Bews, Tuohy

Round 19

-C.Guthrie, Rohan

Round 20

-C.Guthrie, Blicavs (in-game), Hawkins (in-game)

Round 21

-C.Guthrie, Blicavs, Hawkins, J.Henry (in-game)

Round 22

-C.Guthrie, Blicavs, Hawkins, J.Henry, Rohan (in-game), Stanley (in-game)

Round 23

-C.Guthrie, Blicavs, J.Henry, Rohan, Stanley, Ratugolea (in-game), Close (in-game)

Round 24

-C.Guthrie, Blicavs, J.Henry, Rohan, Stanley, Hawkins, Close, Duncan, Cameron, Ratugolea, Tuohy, Bruhn

Injuries briefly eased up but the side looked to be running on fumes at times (the Freo game being the true shocker - even with two in-game injuries it was a strong side against a low confidence unit with nothing to play for). Cameron and Dangerfield struggled through injury even though, as you say, they made themselves available (the alternative was an early white flag though, there's no doubt).Once we started racking up in-game injuries again from round 20, the last yelp was squeezed out of the group.

If it meant the Stanley-esq player became a premiership player at the Cats in a few years I'd be happy enough with that outcome.

There's a few people in here that quickly look for a target when everything isn't perfect. Stanley has been that player for a few years and for the most part, he's been unfairly maligned. Interesting though (and probably more a guide) is the fact that he's one of the coaches favourites. And has played a big part in developing Conway to prepare him for AFL footy.........unselfishly, given he knows he's helping develop a bloke who will push him out of the side.

If we don't have Stanley playing last September we don't win the flag - pretty simple.

I think some of those comments by Smith and a few others have been conveniently overplayed. I'd imagine Smith saying that whilst also having a grin from ear to ear.

From all reports, the players had a shorter break but did return to training in pretty good shape. And the older players got a bit more time away but were all on programs to ensure they came back in good nick. The way some people have interpreted those comments is that players were at nightclubs 5 nights a week for most of preseason celebrating the win. Just wasn't the case. Some were given extended time away from the club but were all doing their own program.
I understand, but the players would have a sense if not gut feeling where they are at and how they are tracking, just as by R11 in 2022 the players and Scott were saying they could sense the team was onto something special.

Wow, we do have some old-timers on this board.

I didn't play against him in high school, but I do remember him flying over packs and running up and down the wing for the Dees at not much more than 50kg.

I also recall being SO disappointed for him in his last game when Jim Stynes ran through the mark, gave away the 15m penalty and cost him the opportunity to go out in a Grand Final. Considering it took him his whole career just to play a final.
It might have been for the best. Melbourne would have lost by 100 if they made that GF.

We should hold firm on a 1st rounder for Rat. He is exactly what they need. He will restructure their defence and make it that much better... We should play hardball...
Second best player halfway through the season according to the club before he got injured. No wonder our coach rates him highly.

They are also paying him a large amount over an extended period.

Why give him away for steak knives. Looks like we may get screwed again.

Last edited:
I understand, but the players would have a sense if not gut feeling where they are at and how they are tracking, just as by R11 in 2022 the players and Scott were saying they could sense the team was onto something special.
I think the players have broadly said a similar thing about 2022 and what the triggers were.

-- They had a pretty honest and frank assessment as to where they were after the loss to St Kilda at Marvel. There were suggestions of some fairly animated discussions and a few players were eyeballed. There were a few bruised egos but it resulted in us not losing another game for the season.
-- Both Dangerfield and Stewart were quoted as saying that it was after the win against Melbourne late in the season that a group of senior players got together and said they thought they had real belief that they could win the flag.

That's compared to this season where both players and coach have mentioned frequently, the feeling that they were always behind where they needed to be due to player availability - and that as soon as one problem was fixed, another would appear. I think Chris Scott used the term "whack a mole"

If it meant the Stanley-esq player became a premiership player at the Cats in a few years I'd be happy enough with that outcome.

There's a few people in here that quickly look for a target when everything isn't perfect. Stanley has been that player for a few years and for the most part, he's been unfairly maligned. Interesting though (and probably more a guide) is the fact that he's one of the coaches favourites. And has played a big part in developing Conway to prepare him for AFL footy.........unselfishly, given he knows he's helping develop a bloke who will push him out of the side.

If we don't have Stanley playing last September we don't win the flag - pretty simple.

You're well aware that his premiership medal doesn't make Stanley a good player. Had we had a half-competent ruckman at any stage in the past ten years we might have won more than one flag.

You're well aware that his premiership medal doesn't make Stanley a good player. Had we had a half-competent ruckman at any stage in the past ten years we might have won more than one flag.
Garbage take underselling Stanley badly.

I was actually amazed to see that DeKoning only missed 4 games. Felt like more.

Either way though, if you cross the line you're fit. And should be judged as such. Opposition players get zero sympathy for playing with niggles or injuries (as they should), same should go for us. If the depth is as strong as we're told it is, they should have rested Cameron and whoever else when they needed to, not once the season was blown.
SDK was clearly hampered for a number of games that he played in 2023. Either physically or mentally. He needs to show that he can cope with being targeted physically (opposition teams took every chance they could to bash him this season) and still be an high quality key defender. We also need to do a better job of giving him some protection.

There is not a club in the land that would have been able to contend this season with the amount of key players who were either injured or playing underdone than we did this season.

Now I am not saying that a new season will automatically fix this issue, and it must be acknowledged that we had a dream run with our injuries and player management in 2022, but starting the season with a clean slate and a proper preseason at least gives us a chance.

I don’t think it can be underestimated how much our preparation for 2023 was negatively impacted by our 2022 premiership.

He was a strategic late out in a final v the Pies and Grundy when he was our #1 choice first ruck.

That's how good he is... a late-out "when fit" in a final v Grundy so we can deliberately play no recognized ruckman.

He did contribute to our 2022 flag whilst having a solid year and I'm very thankful for that.

But yeah he has been average at best as a ruck... Just the best of a very very bad bunch of rucks we have had for a while.

The 2022 flag changed plenty of views about him... but I can't forget the pre-2022 years just because of a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon it's more that if we'd had Cameron 2-3 years earlier then we would have won more. Stanley wasn't the issue to my mind.

Anyone suggesting that Stanley is the reason we didn't win a few more flags is conveniently embracing a very simple narrative.

We're all entitled to whatever opinions we want, but the constant suggestion that Stanley had been our biggest problem and the reason for missing out on flags is misguided and plain wrong. I won't bore people with it, and it's probably been covered hundreds of times in the past, but opposition sides had very clear plans in place in a few of those finals campaigns and we couldn't counteract it.

Geelong wanted to play slow controlled tempo football - that was good enough against most sides - but Richmond was our kryptonite and we generally had no answer against them. That's the most obvious one from the last 5 years. Is that a Rhys Stanley problem - no. There's a bloke called Tom Stewart who is lauded as a champion - and I agree. But go back and have a look at a few of his finals performances.............but he doesn't cop the heat that Stanley does. Dangerfield as well - delivered nothing in some finals games.

He was a strategic late out in a final v the Pies and Grundy when he was our #1 choice first ruck.

That's how good he is... a late-out "when fit" in a final v Grundy so we can deliberately play no recognized ruckman.

He did contribute to our 2022 flag whilst having a solid year and I'm very thankful for that.

But yeah he has been average at best as a ruck... Just the best of a very very bad bunch of rucks we have had for a while.

The 2022 flag changed plenty of views about him... but I can't forget the pre-2022 years just because of a flag.
him being omitted for that final was our biggest match committee and coaching screw up of the last 15 years.

We traded pick 21 for Stanley and in hindsight we made out like bandits.

If we could trade Sav for pick 21 nearly everyone on this board would grab it with glee.

I am a Sav supporter, but you are either seriously overrating Sav or seriously underrating Stanley (or both).

I reckon if we can bring in Lord and Oliver that would be a good haul! Looking into it though - what other club would Oliver go to ? Other clubs are either stacked in the MF, don't have a high pick, don't have cap space or a rock bottom club. I'd say we're front runners to bring him in... thoughts ?

I reckon if we can bring in Lord and Oliver that would be a good haul! Looking into it though - what other club would Oliver go to ? Other clubs are either stacked in the MF, don't have a high pick, don't have cap space or a rock bottom club. I'd say we're front runners to bring him in... thoughts ?

Oliver is staying put.

J Roughead, Nakvervis, Lycett/Vardy, Stanley, D Cameron[/: These are the premiership ruckmen of recent years. There is one obvious exception : Gawn 2021. You don't need a gun ruckman to win a flag. Stanley is adequate if we have the other pieces around him.

Lets look at our failures and see if Stanely is responsible.

2016 PF : go in as favourites and conceed the first 7 or 8 goals. Swans ruckman was Naismith (4 disposals)
2017 PF : underdogs against Adelaide and down by 7 goals early. Crows ruckman was Jacobs (16 disposals to Stanley 11) he played OK.
2018 EF : we were never gonna win that year
2019 PF : lead by 4 goals then lose. Nankervis and Solo were just adequate (15 combined disposals to Stanley 19). Ruck wasn't the cause of their comback
2020 GF : Rinse repeat of above. No Soldo, only Nankervis but Stanley had more touches than Nankervis (8 touches)
2021 PF : Gawn dominates -yes. Half the Geelong team has gastro and we are down by plenty early.
2022 - Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Last edited:
We traded pick 21 for Stanley and in hindsight we made out like bandits.

If we could trade Sav for pick 21 nearly everyone on this board would grab it with glee.

I am a Sav supporter, but you are either seriously overrating Sav or seriously underrating Stanley (or both).

If Port Could get hold of a pick between 21-25 i'd take that in heart beat and pick George Stevens

Trading Pick 7 on Draft Night will happen I think - would be looking at trading to Bulldogs for 10 + F1

P7 + F3 >Bulldogs

P10 + F1 >GFC

2024 - Bailey Smith > Geelong R1 + Future R1 (2025)

Make a Pick at 10 in this Draft and Use the Dogs Pick to Select in R1 2024

Jordan Roughead, Nakvervis, Lycett/Vardy, Stanley, Darcy Cameron : These are the premiership ruckmen of recent years. There is one obvious exception : Max Gawn 2021. You don't need a gun ruckman to win a flag. Stanley is adequate if we have the other pieces around him.

Lets look at our failures and see if Stanely is responsible.

2016 PF : go in as favourites and conceed the first 7 or 8 goals. Swans ruckman was Naismith (4 disposals)
2017 PF : underdogs against Adelaide and down by 7 goals early. Crows ruckman was Jacobs (16 disposals to Stanley 11) he played OK.
2018 EF : we were never gonna win that year
2019 PF : lead by 4 goals then lose. Nankervis and Solo were just adequate (15 combined disposals to Stanley 19). Ruck wasn't the cause of their comback
2020 GF : Rinse repeat of above. No Soldo, only Nankervis but Stanley had more touches than Nankervis (8 touches)
2021 PF : Max Gawn dominates -yes. Half the Geelong team has gastro and we are down by plenty early.
2022 - Winner winner, chicken dinner.
Yeah good analysis right there. Only problem is the fact that you are applying logic and common sense.

If I were you I'd start ducking for cover.

Sorry, but neither will be in Geelong jumpers next season.

Media are on the wrong track with the whole story on Oliver and overlooking some facts in preference for chasing a story. Yes he's a bit wayward - yes his cub has sat him down and set some expectations - but that's the extent of it.

Lord is a required player at Port and he has no interest in playing for Geelong even if that door was open.

If Port Could get hold of a pick between 21-25 i'd take that in heart beat and pick George Stevens

Trading Pick 7 on Draft Night will happen I think - would be looking at trading to Bulldogs for 10 + F1

P7 + F3 >Bulldogs

P10 + F1 >GFC

2024 - Bailey Smith > Geelong R1 + Future R1 (2025)

Make a Pick at 10 in this Draft and Use the Dogs Pick to Select in R1 2024

Th Bulldogs are not giving up a future first to move up three spots in the draft….

Particularly, when they are 50-50 to really fall over next year with an unhappy football department.

That is a very generous trade for Geelong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back