Preview Match Sim v North @ AIA - Wed Feb 21st. 10am. 4x25min

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn’t sound like any of the possibles have done enough yet to displace the probables.

Best guess for opening game v GWS relative to our GF team:

OUT: Ginnivan, Frampton, Murphy

IN: Schultz, Johnson, Dean/Frampton

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ain't no chance Dean is playing AFL round 1... he's barely played in the past few years.

Ain't no chance Dean is playing AFL round 1... he's barely played in the past few years.
I agree. He has missed so much footy since 2021, needs to play some decent games of vfl first. For himself to get some footy in him.

For extra context we have a 6 day break and north have 11 days before the practice game.
It ended up mostly being our top 18 players playing half a game tops and the fringe players having a chance to compete for spots with full games. North's VFL team finished 10th last year and us 8th. And their youngsters have more upward potential. So even with thier outs factored in too. Their VFL team could be better than ours now which is close to what today was than AFL standard. I also find North to be a bogey team, as in we can't thrash them despite our ladder differences, and would have lost to them the last couple of years if they were a mid table team. The result is around the mark expected.

Interesting, I don’t think I was overly critical of him, he just didn’t do enough for a player trying to break into the team especially with Lipinski being our best player. If you contextualise (am I using this right?) his spot in the round 1 team it would be at the expense of Lipinski or (very unlikely) Mitchell unless you’re of the opinion they’re gonna change structure/ players roles to fit him in. Lipinski has out performed him and is basically a lock for round 1 it would appear at this point
I’m changing up the structure to fit Fin in personally. It’s hard to know who dips out instead.

Doesn’t sound like any of the possibles have done enough yet to displace the probables.

I did not even notice Dean yesterday. If he was playing, it was news to me. Our defence was a bit of a shambles in the last 3 quarters. Nobody in it could be accused of playing a great game. I really hope that neither he nor Frampton have to play AFL.

I did not even notice Dean yesterday. If he was playing, it was news to me. Our defence was a bit of a shambles in the last 3 quarters. Nobody in it could be accused of playing a great game. I really hope that neither he nor Frampton have to play AFL.
Someone will have to in replace of murphy.

I wouldn't be worried about our defence based on today. We were without Moore, Howe, Murphy & Bruz.

All or any one of the defenders playing today will be better having those guys next to them.

Haven’t seen a Collingwood game without jack crisp featuring for a long time, super valuable. We were trying a fair bit out today, our young blokes definitely got exposure they need to develop and they were thrown in and all around. I thought it was positive, we play two sides in the preseason that have had the extra training weeks on us and then we open the season against sides that played finals last season so we will have similar training dates as they have had, so i recon these games are helping us a lot more than it looks on the scoreboard today

For extra context we have a 6 day break and north have 11 days before the practice game.
It ended up mostly being our top 18 players playing half a game tops and the fringe players having a chance to compete for spots with full games. North's VFL team finished 10th last year and us 8th. And their youngsters have more upward potential. So even with thier outs factored in too. Their VFL team could be better than ours now which is close to what today was than AFL standard. I also find North to be a bogey team, as in we can't thrash them despite our ladder differences, and would have lost to them the last couple of years if they were a mid table team. The result is around the mark expected.

The only thing u can get out of this is how the young/fringe players look.

I would like ours to step up next game and actually put pressure on the best 22.

The only thing u can get out of this is how the young/fringe players look.

I would like ours to step up next game and actually put pressure on the best 22.
Roughy did say in his interview, that this was more about giving the kids exposure to see how they would fare, what decisions they make, without the seniors around them

Also more about getting through unscathed and implementing things that had been teaching through the pre-season.

No thanks on Johnson. I like his athleticism and ability to do some things at ground level, but I think he’s just a low footy iq player who seems to pretty consistently make stupid errors most games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roughy did say in his interview, that this was more about giving the kids exposure to see how they would fare, what decisions they make, without the seniors around them

Also more about getting through unscathed and implementing things that had been teaching through the pre-season.
Correct from roughy.
If players are going to dominate…..they are going to be best 22.

Today was growth and learning.
Thats it.

Think it was another example of how well we manage our list.
North didn’t play 22-45 on their list. So it’s just another example of how we manage our list. Quite impressive really.

That’s a very narrow and outdated view.

Let’s say the ball comes to Frampton 10 times in a match. How many would you expect to be 1v1?

I would say if it’s more than 2, we’ve failed as a defence.
So if he wins 50% of those, it’s great.
Today it was more in the 4-6 range. Which means our defence failed.

1v1 is a disaster. We’re extremely lucky we have legit elite 1v1 defenders (who save our bacon more than not).

What Frampton did today would be more aligned with industry average.
100%, left him on a island trying to defend some good use inside his D50, few cheap frees too.

Comfortable with the big Bill stepping in if Murph no good.

No thanks on Johnson. I like his athleticism and ability to do some things at ground level, but I think he’s just a low footy iq player who seems to pretty consistently make stupid errors most games.
He is averaging 1.5 goals a game. He looks to have gone up a notch and yesterday could have easily kicked 5. Yesterday he made some blues but I don't think that is the norm.

Forwards like him don't grow on trees. I think teams we play against would be like you and not want him in.

In some ways you’re correct.
But in the context of how he looked compared to his teammates (also VFl level)….miles above. Wrong?
Add to that the oppo was afl quality (albeit because north are so young).
So, if you’re taking a 26 year old SSP….youd expect them to be ahead of 21 year olds and be ready to play no?
Most 26 year old VFL players will outperform 21 year old AFL listed players in a VFL type intensity game. If Sullivan plays and can perform next week against Richmond in what should be a higher intensity game against better opposition then I’ll become a believer.

Meaningless training run with no injuries being the only thing that actually mattered.

One thing that pricked my ears is the laughable undermining of Larkey, he was BOG by a country mile and as a matter of fact kicked 5 against last year too.

Someone like him would make us close to unbeatable in the near future.

You’re probably right. In that case, if Murphy doesn’t get up for start of season as seems likely, then I expect Frampton returns to the defensive back-up role he was recruited for.

Last edited:

So what’s your solution to replace Frampton up forward from our GF side?

McInnes? A player entering his fourth season who has shown next to nothing in any role at AFL level? I really don’t understand the hype/expectations that have built up around Reef.

Or would you pick Krueger?

So what’s your solution to replace Frampton up forward from our GF side?

McInnes? A player entering his fourth season who has shown next to nothing in any role at AFL level? I really don’t understand the hype/expectations that have built up around Reef.

Or would you pick Krueger?

it’s going to be fun seeing how this pans out.

I like them all. Perhaps AJ with the best senior track record gets first crack. He was still kicking goals when dropped last year. A tad unlucky To not be a premiership player but clearly there were some things they wanted him to work on.

reef is a smaller player and perhaps more the Elliott replacement

Kreuger could be anything and the nearest mcstay type replacement we have.

Re our Mcstay replacement, i have to admit I am an Ash Johnson fan. Has a great skill set.

However, my god he can be frustrating. It appears to me that he just coasts through games at times and depends on his talent to get through. Can do the amazing one minute and then just do something you shake your head at. A real rocks and diamonds player, if you like

So I will say he gets first crack, but he is on notice.

I wouldn't be worried about our defence based on today. We were without Moore, Howe, Murphy & Bruz.

All or any one of the defenders playing today will be better having those guys next to them.
I am not worried about the defence because Moore and Howe will be back, but there is a lot of uncertainty over Murphy. If he does not play, then Dean or Frampton will probably be required to man someone substantial in a key post. Though they will have some experience around them, they are 'Clayton's' defenders - the defenders you have when you don't have a defender. I want Murphy to start some positive inner head self talk and toss aside his fears, remove the worst of the kamikaze element from his game, and ensure those other two chaps spend the full year trying to get up to standard in the VFL.

Last edited:
I love Larkey, and don’t understand why he gets less love generally than other over-hyped higher profile KPFs - like Curnow. I’m also hoping he knocks Curnow off for the Coleman this year, and puts a hole in that hugely inflated ego.

For the small part of the game I saw yesterday, I thought North were playing a bit like us, and doing it well. Whether they can repeat that style of play in a ‘real’ game remains to be seen. But a fun day out for their fans and good luck to them.

Meanwhile, back at the Pies, Bobby Hill has picked up where he left off at the GF. And Shoota is a perfect complement. Two outstanding recruits under Wright’s watch. And very smart targeted recruiting, given the makeup of our forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back