Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done Tom 2021 AA

Now a Monster Energy ambassador (joining Bailey Smith, Izak Rankine and Oscar Allen)
3911BE54-9001-4810-8A35-7B4F7C42F524.jpeg

I'm not on board with this whole front running thing, he was one of our best in 2019, and we saw him back it up in 2021.

He is terrible at the moment and needs a stint in reserves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs a week in the two's just to send the message that he's not a guaranteed start every week. He's been very ordinary since he's come back from injury. Set shots today alone should get him dropped.

Some (admittedly understandable) overreactions here. His form is off, his kicking and fumbling just tremendously frustrating, but he's putting the effort in, and he's not playing selfishly. He's just struggling to execute his basics. Not sure what it is. Maybe a stint in the VFL would help, but calls to trade him are extreme.

All that said, I did say to my Bombers supporting dad that I wished we had traded him for Daniher at one point today. But that was out of frustration. He'll almost certainly come good eventually, he's just been a split second off the pace all year and it's screwed with his ability to execute.

He's always played this way though. He's hot-headed and goal hungry.

It looks good when we win (Melbourne) and looks bad when we lose (Essendon).

He’s just a terrible I mean not at Mornington football league reserves level as a set shot. He’s like Ben Simmons at free throw level at set shots

he has a lot of other positives and I wouldn’t trade him because he’s much better than wicks or ronke but as with hawthorn and buddy if he’s having 5 or 6 set shots it’s almost counter productive.

Paps had no preseason, and he is well in his rights to take selfish shots for goal, just like Heeney. He just didn't kick them today, whatever. Practice mroe goal kicking.

No to trading another player thats 25 years old about to hit his prime years lol.

Honestly, Sydney are overflowing with decent small forwards. He’s diabolically overrated and could be converted to upgrade trade points and give Sydney some really early bites at draft night this year. * him off.
He's not 'overrated' he's out of form. He really hasn't been at his best since returning from injury but he has had a few good performances. He'll come good

Jeez have a look at some of these overreactions in here. Folks have their pitchforks and torches ready. The same people would be the first ones to complain when he dominates a game against us.

I’d go so far as to say Papley would fail the “no dickhead” policy.

Completely separate from his form, I've heard this is true. Not in a particularly terrible way, just an arrogant-and-slightly-misogynistic way. Which would describe a good chunk of professional footy players, in fairness.

It's not a big deal, just a healthy reminder not to develop parasocial relationships with our favourite footy players cos they run the full spectrum of c*ntegrity.

Some serious overreactions here. At his best, he's a match winner, and can provide the team with a real spark when it's much needed, and has shown that he can create a goal from nothing. Definitely not overrated, and definitely not a downhill skiier.

He's been out of form this year after returning from injury, and is still trying to find his touch, both around the ground and in his accuracy around goal.

He's been working his way back into form and is getting closer, but isn't quite there yet. In saying that, I was pretty disappointed with how selfishly he played, particularly since he still isn't in great form. Looked as though he was trying to have that breakthrough game, and ultimately cost the team as he was in a position to bring others into the game, and was more focused on playing himself into form than ensuring we secured the win.

He's had periods in the past where he has been goal hungry has squandered opportunities, but has responded in the past by being a little more selfless and team oriented. I'm sure he'll manage to do the same this time around, I just hope he has the maturity to let his form come back naturally and not try to fore it at the expense of his teammates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back