Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
McGlynn's done but he's been brilliant for us...just sheer bad luck! This young kid might not have all the skill in the world and clearly can miss a goal or two but what he doesn't lack is the desire to play for that red and white jumper! For that reason, those skills will improve but that energy, you see it, rubs off on the others when he's up and about!
I thought McGlyn was fantastic tonight when it counted in those first two quarters. He set so much up with his pressure and attack on the ball. Let's not forget his goal. He was a contributor at the most critical time. Fell off towards the end but should not be chastised for his game I don't think. As a bottom 6 player, he stood up tall.

I thought McGlyn was fantastic tonight when it counted in those first two quarters. He set so much up with his pressure and attack on the ball. Let's not forget his goal. He was a contributor at the most critical time. Fell off towards the end but should not be chastised for his game I don't think. As a bottom 6 player, he stood up tall.
Your not on the McGlynn thread, but the Papley one and it might just be that Paps is making him a better player, less pressure

Absolutely love this guy, has brought a lot of pressure to our forward line and uses the ball very well!

Sorry to intrude guys...

Considering I support a team with 3 of the best small defensive forwards...I have still managed to develop a huge 'Man Love' for this kid. What a rookie year he has had! The pressure he applies is unbelievable and he also does not miss when lining up for goal! Has quickly become one of my favourite players in the game!

Good Luck next week!

Re McGlynn, I was wrong, he's not done yet!

Sorry to intrude guys...

Considering I support a team with 3 of the best small defensive forwards...I have still managed to develop a huge 'Man Love' for this kid. What a rookie year he has had! The pressure he applies is unbelievable and he also does not miss when lining up for goal! Has quickly become one of my favourite players in the game!

Good Luck next week!
The triple team - Papley, Rohan & McGlynn, gave Geelong nightmares. Did it to Adelaide as well.

Papley has really stepped it up these finals. So bloody impressive!

Fast becoming one of my favourite players, with 9 goals he is the equal top goal scorer this finals series and has brought great pressure as well.

I've changed my avatar to him as well.

watching the replay, Papley could have easily had 5. He had the mark that wasn't paid (worst decision in recent memory). And he laid a tackle and was awarded HTB right on front, but Rohan played on a kicked it.

Amazing stuff for a Rookie upgrade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schniederesqe in his "swarming" but also brutal attack on the ball. He's fast, agile but bloody tough.

He and Mills wouldn't back down from a semi truck let alone an opponent and I love both of them for it.

Long may his career build into legend status with the bloods!! On ya Paps!

Sorry to intrude guys...

Good Luck next week!

It is odd because the start of the season he was great with snaps but awful with set shots. He seems to have improved.

What I find funny is that he has outperformed every other 'rated' Small Forward in the league when it matters the MOST!

Yep, stood up big time in the finals.

Poppy needs to take a leaf out of Pappy's book. It's all about producing in finals when you can't rely on bullshit free kicks by ducking and shrugging because the umps tend to put the whistle away and you have to earn those kicks legitimately...

watching the replay, Papley could have easily had 5. He had the mark that wasn't paid (worst decision in recent memory). And he laid a tackle and was awarded HTB right on front, but Rohan played on a kicked it.

Amazing stuff for a Rookie upgrade.
Don't forget the hand off to Buddy. I think that's worth half a goal :cool:

Don't forget the hand off to Buddy. I think that's worth half a goal :cool:
I can just imagine the geelong player who left buddy, who went to hear the benches instructions more clearer, gets within hearing distance and hears "Watch Buddy!!.. oh ffs ..... nooooooooooo don't come .......".

BANG

I can just imagine the geelong player who left buddy, who went to hear the benches instructions more clearer, gets within hearing distance and hears "Watch Buddy!!.. oh ffs ..... nooooooooooo don't come .......".

BANG
Reminded me of my 6 year old nephew's first game of soccer. He was in defense talking Star Wars with his mate as the ball waltzed past him and into the goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back