AFL Player #13: Nik Cox 🦄 - Skipper called him 'the Unicorn' in an interview (confirmed!)

Remove this Banner Ad

wasn't his best game by any means, but he looked more confident than usual yesterday and was considerably more involved in the contest than i think he usually is

Was coming here to post the same thing.

In the last few weeks he has gone from looking almost entirely out of place on an AFL field back to raw/immature body that is finding a way to have a positive influence.

I don't think he was out-competed at any stage yesterday, for example. The skill errors I can live with because his kicking ability is first rate. Skill execution will come together as he feels more confident. His ability to absorb a tackle, free his arms and handball will also come with time. My recollection is that he was better at it in his first year than he has been since so that could be a confidence thing, too.

I'm a bit more confident about his capacity to build his body, particularly for roles on the wing and flanks (the body of a KPP is still a long way off). He doesn't look that far away for a wingman / flanker.

It's the silver lining of Ridley's injury. Cox probably isn't playing if Ridley is fit. AFL game time is going to be crucial for Cox as I don't believe he can really be developed at VFL level. The VFL is not great for the development of certain positions, half forwards and wingmen in particular because the transition game is so different (it's almost non-existent at the lower level). The tactical / technical deficiencies of his play as a wingman can really only be developed with training and AFL match play.

I'm going to stay optimistic about Cox. I believe he can be taught to become a wingman and that he could become of the best players in the position (given the set of skills and physical attributes he has). I can see him getting to the level of Acres who I think is one of the most influential and underrated players in the competition. It's essential for our list build that we can maximise Cox's talent because it otherwise leaves a pick 8 sized talent gap in the side / list. The flow-on is that it suits the other parts of our list build given the investment in Hayes, the recruitment of McKay and the recent additions of Roberts and Lual. If Cox is half back only he takes a spot from Hayes / Lual / Roberts when all indications are that we have 3 players with skills there who are really good long term prospects.

Last edited:
Was coming here to post the same thing.

In the last few weeks he has gone from looking almost entirely out of place on an AFL field back to raw/immature body that is finding a way to have a positive influence.

I don't think he was out-competed at any stage yesterday, for example. The skill errors I can live with because his kicking ability is first rate. Skill execution will come together as he feels more confident. His ability to absorb a tackle, free his arms and handball will also come with time. My recollection is that he was better at it in his first year than he has been since so that could be a confidence thing, too.

I'm a bit more confident about his capacity to build his body, particularly for roles on the wing and flanks (the body of a KPP is still a long way off). He doesn't look that far away for a wingman / flanker.

It's the silver lining of Ridley's injury. Cox probably isn't playing if Ridley is fit. AFL game time is going to be crucial for Cox as I don't believe he can really be developed at VFL level. The VFL is not great for the development of certain positions, half forwards and wingmen in particular because the transition game is so different (it's almost non-existent at the lower level). The tactical / technical deficiencies of his play as a wingman can really only be developed with training and AFL match play.

I'm going to stay optimistic about Cox. I believe he can be taught to become a wingman and that he could become of the best players in the position (given the set of skills and physical attributes he has). I can see him getting to the level of Acres who I think is one of the most influential and underrated players in the competition. It's essential for our list build that we can maximise Cox's talent because it otherwise leaves a pick 8 sized talent gap in the side / list. The flow-on is that it suits the other parts of our list build given the investment in Hayes, the recruitment of McKay and the recent additions of Roberts and Lual. If Cox is half back only he takes a spot from Hayes / Lual / Roberts when all indications are that we have 3 players with skills there who are really good long term prospects.
big agree on this, but i do think that Cox will invariably play a different role than hayes/roberts. i almost feel like he could end up playing as a taller dylan grimes type if he can work into taking more pack marks.

I think we (or at least me) would be a bit happier with him if he was pick 30 instead of pick 10.

He's coming along okay - looks like an AFL player, which I didn't think was a guarantee a month or so ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back