Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

Remove this Banner Ad

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

Unless I'm mistaken Ablett wasn't in the mids that much at that stage of his career. Pretty sure it took him a fair while to go into the midfield and once he did he never looked back.
Even then this is including the period when Dusty has been a mid forward, with a bag of 6, and even 4 this year.

It's all apples and oranges, but to compare they're top output, duty's three best years have averages of 1.5,1.5, and 1.4, whereas Abblet had 1.8 (2010), 1.7, and 1.7 in 2004 and 2006. But when he went to GCS he had 0.9, 1.3, 1.3, 1.6, so he was still a freak (I don't include the 2 years after as they only have 5 and 6 games respectively)

Anyway, it's two elites of the game, but it does amaze me how consistent Abblet was, whereas Dusty will more be separate a game in a moment. Both superstars obviously, it's what makes sport enjoyable.

He is not a world beater but a very solid B potentially B+ player IMO.

Would be inked in (not pencilled) the side every week.

I loathe the title of the Player Watch thread and ask it be changed to something more appropriate.

He is not a world beater but a very solid B potentially B+ player IMO.

Would be inked in (not pencilled) the side every week.

I loathe the title of the Player Watch thread and ask it be changed to something more appropriate.
*all* current Sydney Swan players have "Player Watch" prefix.

It is 5 Brownlows I object to, not the player watch prefix.

When he was drafted he was most definitely touted as a 5 time brownlow winner, a steal, midfield leader, inside dynamo etc.

Abhorrent revisionism to remove it.

When he was drafted he was most definitely touted as a 5 time brownlow winner, a steal, midfield leader, inside dynamo etc.

Abhorrent revisionism to remove it.
Really? Who exactly touted him as such? You?

Why is revisionism abhorrent? If you make a mistake, identify it, and correct it, is that then the sensible approach or 'abhorrent revisionism'?

By not changing the title, are we clinging to a past where the potential was glorious, or just being dicks?

My money's on the later...

If Craig Bird is a brownlow medallist it shouldn't be too tough for Florent to win 5.

This is the 2021 kicking efficiency of the likes of Florent, Blakey, McInerney, Warner, Gulden (in that order). Players who've had or might have similar roles (Warner might come off a wing less in future and just stay in mids, Blakey looks to be consistently down back now), or at least competition for position going forward. Didn't see enough of Campbell imo, but another candidate. Interesting to note that Florent's career ave. is 58.2% so he's actually improved quite a bit this year (yes he had some poor moments in some games, but he largely came back into those games and made up for it, not that most critics gave him the credit). That and he has played some inside, which would impact. Hopefully he can improve again.

View attachment 1227818
Just going to bring this up again. Florent improved statistically in his kicking, quite a bit this year. Personally I think he just had a few notable flubs, sometimes a couple in a row, where he tried to do too much and either rushed the kick, or didn't even get a disposal off. We've spent ages wishing for players with dare and attack, but imo we selectively have a go at some players (and not others) that make mistakes (and then largely ignore anything good they did before or after it in a game). If Florent keeps improving, and there's not really a reason to suggest he won't, even if it's not as big of a rise year on year, he'll be ok.

Last edited:
Be lucky to poll 10 in year let alone winner

bird was just as good player if not better
Florent is worth 83 Craig Birds as per draft valuation, looking forward to seeing him get 83 brownlow medals 🤗

Just going to bring this up again. Florent improved statistically in his kicking, quite a bit this year. Personally I think he just had a few notable flubs, sometimes a couple in a row, where he tried to do too much and either rushed the kick, or didn't even get a disposal off. We've spent ages wishing for players with dare and attack, but imo we selectively have a go at some players (and not others) that make mistakes (and then largely ignore anything good they did before or after it in a game). If Florent keeps improving, and there's not really a reason to suggest he won't, even if it's not as big of a rise year on year, he'll be ok.

His problem is that others will improve too, and they'll be better than him.

The fancy footwork and "take the game on" justifications don't work for him either now, given that we have an abundance of players who can do that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His problem is that others will improve too, and they'll be better than him.

The fancy footwork and "take the game on" justifications don't work for him either now, given that we have an abundance of players who can do that.
I like most of your posts, but I do have some doubts about your ability to tell the future, after we didn't win the flag this year.

I remain to be convinced he's gone to the next level, mainly because his best footy has pretty much always come in the first month of the season, so the way he played on Saturday wasn't exactly surprising. His challenge will be maintaining a level close to that over the course of the season.

BUT one thing I loved about his game that I thought was noticeably different was his demeanour. Seemed incredibly vocal, every time they cut to him he was barking out directions to his teammates. When he kicked his third, he did the old chest-bump and turned to face the crowd and rev them up. Never seen such animation from him since he's been at the club. He's usually one of the more low-key types, but he really looked like he meant business on Saturday night. That was new from him and it was great to see.

I remain to be convinced he's gone to the next level, mainly because his best footy has pretty much always come in the first month of the season, so the way he played on Saturday wasn't exactly surprising. His challenge will be maintaining a level close to that over the course of the season.

BUT one thing I loved about his game that I thought was noticeably different was his demeanour. Seemed incredibly vocal, every time they cut to him he was barking out directions to his teammates. When he kicked his third, he did the old chest-bump and turned to face the crowd and rev them up. Never seen such animation from him since he's been at the club. He's usually one of the more low-key types, but he really looked like he meant business on Saturday night. That was new from him and it was great to see.
His best performances have happened when he was played in the middle. So long as we don't push him back out to the wing I think he'll continue this form

His best performances have happened when he was played in the middle. So long as we don't push him back out to the wing I think he'll continue this form

In 2020 he was played in the middle. He had a then-career best game to start that season against the Crows, and then had another few good performances after that. And by about round 4 or 5 he'd faded, then got overtaken, and pushed to the wing. Then last season he started the year on the wing, and was putting in more career-best games, until he faded again.

It's been so hard to know exactly where his best position is, because he's had great performances both inside and outside, but never sustained that form for long enough to really make an impression either way. I'd love nothing more than to be at say round 8 or 9 this year and to be talking about what an impressive two months Florent's had to start the season. Guess we won't know until we're there, but one week in and it's a great start.

In 2020 he was played in the middle. He had a then-career best game to start that season against the Crows, and then had another few good performances after that. And by about round 4 or 5 he'd faded, then got overtaken, and pushed to the wing. Then last season he started the year on the wing, and was putting in more career-best games, until he faded again.

It's been so hard to know exactly where his best position is, because he's had great performances both inside and outside, but never sustained that form for long enough to really make an impression either way. I'd love nothing more than to be at say round 8 or 9 this year and to be talking about what an impressive two months Florent's had to start the season. Guess we won't know until we're there, but one week in and it's a great start.
I've always been a bit of an Ollie fan but that was an Ollie we've never seen before on Saturday night - in looks and confidence.
He looks insanely fit, not that he ever looked unfit, but (to me at least) he looks like he's taken his fitness and intensity to a whole new level.
Fingers crossed this new Ollie is here to stay.

I've always been a bit of an Ollie fan but that was an Ollie we've never seen before on Saturday night - in looks and confidence.
He looks insanely fit, not that he ever looked unfit, but (to me at least) he looks like he's taken his fitness and intensity to a whole new level.
Fingers crossed this new Ollie is here to stay.
He looked like an inside mid and not a hybrid inside outside. Certainly bulked up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back