Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

Remove this Banner Ad

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

Delighted with how well Florent is fitting in across HB. His ability to beat the first tackler is really handy under intense pressure down back but also he's throwing his body into the contest in more effective ways in defence. In the midfield, sometimes he can get a little overwhelmed physically by the big midfielders (like Oliver, Bontempelli, Petracca size guys) but in defence matched up on smaller defenders, he's got more ability to win the physical battles. Loving his game at the moment.

Delighted with how well Florent is fitting in across HB. His ability to beat the first tackler is really handy under intense pressure down back but also he's throwing his body into the contest in more effective ways in defence. In the midfield, sometimes he can get a little overwhelmed physically by the big midfielders (like Oliver, Bontempelli, Petracca size guys) but in defence matched up on smaller defenders, he's got more ability to win the physical battles. Loving his game at the moment.

He seems to be clicking into place down there now. Saturday night he was hard into the contest and looked like he belonged

hmmm....
Florent and Lloyd out of contract. Theres been some chatter about Florent signing over the last couple of weeks.
Could the Swans be testing the waters and seeing how Florent goes down back and maybe how he would go playing Lloyds position - next year????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hmmm....
Florent and Lloyd out of contract. Theres been some chatter about Florent signing over the last couple of weeks.
Could the Swans be testing the waters and seeing how Florent goes down back and maybe how he would go playing Lloyds position - next year????
They're playing in the same back 6. Not sure why you'd want to lose one

Because Lloyd adds very little to the side but would be expecting a reasonable contract.
Reckon Lloyd would demand a reasonable contract.. but he adds more than what we see here on Bigfooty
Florent is an age and quality that (I reckon) we really need to keep. The ease in which he's moved down back shows just how good of a player he is.
I reckon he could play Lloyds position, and maybe play it as well, if not better. Florent and Cunningham would offer 2 x genuine small defenders. Both quality players with speed, calm under pressure, good disposal and experience.

Last year we saw Florent dropping back in defence a bit. This year, hes starting in defence. Maybe the Swans are planning something there which involves Lloyd leaving.?? Maybe they're planning (like Hewett) to play Florent back rather than in the mids as hes going to be traded at the end of the year??

Trading out Lloyd would open a list spot and save a bit of cap space. In saying this, I reckon Lloyd will stay.??? And I hope Florent stays.

Reckon Lloyd would demand a reasonable contract.. but he adds more than what we see here on Bigfooty
Florent is an age and quality that (I reckon) we really need to keep. The ease in which he's moved down back shows just how good of a player he is.
I reckon he could play Lloyds position, and maybe play it as well, if not better. Florent and Cunningham would offer 2 x genuine small defenders. Both quality players with speed, calm under pressure, good disposal and experience.

Last year we saw Florent dropping back in defence a bit. This year, hes starting in defence. Maybe the Swans are planning something there which involves Lloyd leaving.?? Maybe they're planning (like Hewett) to play Florent back rather than in the mids as hes going to be traded at the end of the year??

Trading out Lloyd would open a list spot and save a bit of cap space. In saying this, I reckon Lloyd will stay.??? And I hope Florent stays.

What does Lloyd add? Blakey is a better kick out, Florent now showing he can play the link up role well, Campbell another reasonable option back there. I just see Lloyd as surplus.

What does Lloyd add? Blakey is a better kick out, Florent now showing he can play the link up role well, Campbell another reasonable option back there. I just see Lloyd as surplus.

agreed ... i'm not a lloyd "hater", as the kids might say (based on some of my past posts), but football is as much a business as a sport and lloyd at least still offers trade value, whereas he is indeed heading towards being surplus to requirements in our team ...
he has been better in recent games (consolidating his trade value) but his stop-start style and dubious decision-making are counter to the way our team is developing
florent is clearly a better longer-term prospect based on how he's been used this season, and he continues to improve, and there's a definite element of class about him
i'm not sure campbell is a long-term option in defence, i'm certain he will end up in the midfield, but moving florent full-time to the lloyd role and bringing campbell in as a florent understudy (as florent seems to be to lloyd now) in the next year or so as part of his development seems a sensible prospect

What we don't know is how much lloyd adds to the organisation skills of the back 6 and also during the week on the training paddock. Looks like Rampe is pretty vocal but unsure about lloyd, maybe he adds alot and that's what the coaches value? Florent imo should take on lloyds role in the future but is still finding his feet across hb, so atm i'm happy for both of them being together in the back 6. Happy to give lloyd a 2 year deal with Ollie then taking over as the hb leader. If lloyd gets a 3 or 4 year deal then it's probably not worth it for us to match it considering our list.

One thing I love about Florent's HB role is he uses his quick feet and evasiveness to beat the incoming tackler, it's not a hack blind kick up field straight away. He gives himself time to make a sound decision then backs his kicking skills to execute the kick. He'll probably get pinged HTB occasionally but well worth it to avoid a useless hack kick forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back