Senior 15. George Stevens (2023 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

George was playing half back (earlier in the season) and was consistently in the best players on the ground. Then went to midfield and dominated. then played Vfl and looked fantastic.

Great pick up.

Will be a Cats favourite for years.

And another with great leadership.
Looks a Premiership Captain sorta player...

I don’t want to be a wet blanket, but go watch his game v Port Power reserves this year. Ollie Lord burned him on the lead to kick the first two goals of the match. Then Georgiades absolutely towelled him too - both on the lead and turning back to goal. The knock on his leg speed is real.
Maybe so, but it's worth noting that those two players aren't exactly slow either.

Also, it was listed that George's weight was in the early 80kgs last year, and he's now up to 101kg post the ACL.

That's a huge difference, and it would've impacted his speed, his agility, and his endurance.

Not a knock on the kid either, as it's only natural to put on some weight when you can't move, but it doesn't change that it would have impacted him during the year.

After a big pre-season, and getting back to the late 80s-early 90s weight range, I'd say it'll become clear that he's not that slow after all.

Welcome George.

George Costanza Seinfeld GIF
Happy Fuck Yeah GIF by Stickers

AVG something like 160 fantasy points ..

Tom Green with wheels

surprised oh my GIF

There are quick slow players ... and slow quick players. Pace can be leg but also mind.

The club has seen this kid up close at least twice. Once in a the phonebox outright pace is probably not the key criteria...its getting the ball and passing it out and coping with body heat. Of course...maybe the leg speed might prove to be his down fall..but at a late 50's pick..worth a ping I think.

Last edited:
There are quick slow players ... and slow quick players. Pace can be leg but also mind.

The club has seen this kid up close at least twice. Once in a the phonebox outright pace is probably not the ket criteria...its getting the ball and passing it out and coping with body heat. Of course...maybe the leg speed might prove to be his down fall..but at a late 50's pick..worth a ping I think.
We need a few options for the imminent retirement of Dangerfield, with Blicavs and Guthrie not too far behind. If you add Bailey Smith next year then it's just a matter of one or two of Clark, Knevitt and Stevens joining Bruhn as an inside mid with some grunt. And midfield is one area you always need plenty of depth. A few won't make it but we absolutely need a bunch of options.

The interesting thing is Stevens adapted to VFL football much quicker than Clark (who did struggle to impact at that level). I find it hard to get my head around all this stuff sometimes.

But it must drive these elite kids with some athletic deficiencies absolutely crazy when guys they beat up on at junior level go in first round and they almost miss out.

But that is the modern game.

Running and defence is a premium.

Hope he makes everyone look silly. Good luck George.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t want to be a wet blanket, but go watch his game v Port Power reserves this year. Ollie Lord burned him on the lead to kick the first two goals of the match. Then Georgiades absolutely towelled him too - both on the lead and turning back to goal. The knock on his leg speed is real.
I haven't seen the footage you refer to, but as a general rule, that's not a good indicator.

Even quick defenders regularly get burned on the lead because they can't anticipate the forward's movements, and if it happens to a particular defender often it is usually more about reading his opponent than about pure leg speed. Hawkins is a great example - hardly what you'd call quick but doesn't have too much trouble marking on his chest on the lead very, very regularly. Doesn't matter who his opponent is.

And if Stevens is a big-bodied clearance machine, then I'm not too worried about his ability (or lack thereof) to read a leading key forward, because we're not likely to be playing him at full back very often. In fact, I reckon you put any mid at full back on Lord or Georgiades, and they'll get burned 95% of the time.

Maybe so, but it's worth noting that those two players aren't exactly slow either.

Also, it was listed that George's weight was in the early 80kgs last year, and he's now up to 101kg post the ACL.

That's a huge difference, and it would've impacted his speed, his agility, and his endurance.

Not a knock on the kid either, as it's only natural to put on some weight when you can't move, but it doesn't change that it would have impacted him during the year.

After a big pre-season, and getting back to the late 80s-early 90s weight range, I'd say it'll become clear that he's not that slow after all.
I think one thing for certain is he will get a fair look in at some point.

I feel like some kids walk in the door and from day one they are hardly noticed or given much of a shot for whatever reason or another...But i feel george will be given every bit a chance

This kid had 44 disposals, 9 tackles, 14 clearances and 8 I50's against a star studded stingrays side this year.

I've been on his wagon all year and I'd have taken him very early.

Stoked he's at the Cats.

This kid had 44 disposals, 9 tackles, 14 clearances and 8 I50's against a star studded stingrays side this year.

I've been on his wagon all year and I'd have taken him very early.

Stoked he's at the Cats.

I’m not certain he will make it but I am certain that he will leave absolutely no stone unturned in trying to. Absolute quality young man from a great family. An absolute beauty.

I’m not certain he will make it but I am certain that he will leave absolutely no stone unturned in trying to. Absolute quality young man from a great family. An absolute beauty.
I think he will. He finds the ball and his vision in traffic is elite.

I think he will. He finds the ball and his vision in traffic is elite.

He’ll need to thin down over the off season but for me the 2 aspects of his game that give me confidence are that he can find the footy and did so when going from U18 to VFL level and he is excellent by hand and foot. If he can distribute to our outside runners then he is a chance.

Looking forward to watching a bit more VFL footy next year to track his progress.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back