Review 2013 - Redo the 2013 AFL draft

Wild Bill

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Please, Daniher was playing on one leg. This was his last game he played before we learned he was battling OP. You can’t count that surely
He played 96% of game time. Every player carries something into games.

Sicily wasn’t shy in telling Daniher he is better off taking the rest of the year off. Good advice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
He played 96% of game time. Every player carries something into games.

Sicily wasn’t shy in telling Daniher he is better off taking the rest of the year off. Good advice.
Sure I get that all players have niggles but this was an injury that put him out for the remaining 15 weeks of the season and he is still struggling with now 8 months later. OP severely limited all of Joe’s strengths and I feel our medical team/Joe himself badly mismanaged the situation but that’s another argument...

adammania9

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
And wasn't at the start of the year, so he wasn't consistently consistent like you said? Quality player who wasn't at his best this year.
Even if Sicily had a better season, it was marginal at most. As good as he was, he too mixed in some poor performances with his best.

Judd2Sewell

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
And getting suspended multiple times is surely has to reflect negatively on Sicily's consistency.
It doesn't change the fact that he had a very consistent season. It just shows that he was an idiot and needs to pull his head in. He's too good and too valuable to miss games for us.

AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
It doesn't change the fact that he had a very consistent season. It just shows that he was an idiot and needs to pull his head in. He's too good and too valuable to miss games for us.
But for sure that would effect where he is drafted in a redraft. Teams avoid drafting dickheads

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wild Bill

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
But for sure that would effect where he is drafted in a redraft. Teams avoid drafting dickheads
Carey, Ablett & Matthews were all suspended more than Hird and all 3 were better. Some of the greatest lived on the edge and sometimes over stepped the mark. It’s a non factor.

AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Carey, Ablett & Matthews were all suspended more than Hird and all 3 were better. Some of the greatest lived on the edge and sometimes over stepped the mark. It’s a non factor.
Come on, how is that an argument? The 3 names you mentioned are in the top 5 players to ever play the game.... you can overlook their indiscretions because they were Legendary footballers. They were great footballers with anger issues but there would have been 100 footballers who played football in the same manner.

Sicily is a handy footballer with anger issues who is one of only a couple players in the league with that sort of issue, coaches don’t want that sort of player in their team these days.

Wild Bill

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Come on, how is that an argument? The 3 names you mentioned are in the top 5 players to ever play the game.... you can overlook their indiscretions because they were Legendary footballers. They were great footballers with anger issues but there would have been 100 footballers who played football in the same manner.

Sicily is a handy footballer with anger issues who is one of only a couple players in the league with that sort of issue, coaches don’t want that sort of player in their team these days.
What rubbish - every club would love Sicily - as well as Toby Greene, Cameron and Gaff. Match winners >>>> brain fades.

AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
What rubbish - every club would love Sicily - as well as Toby Greene, Cameron and Gaff. Match winners >>>> brain fades.
Yes, I’d happily have them all at Essendon but you can’t tell me it doesn’t effect where you would draft a player.

Hypothetically, Say you rank Barrass and Sicily equally as players. Reckon you’d still take Sicily over a bloke with a squeaky clean record?

Wild Bill

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Yes, I’d happily have them all at Essendon but you can’t tell me it doesn’t effect where you would draft a player.

Hypothetically, Say you rank Barrass and Sicily equally as players. Reckon you’d still take Sicily over a bloke with a squeaky clean record?
Jake Stringer is getting very nervous with the way you’re posting.

AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Jake Stringer is getting very nervous with the way you’re posting.
Jesus... I’m not saying I wouldn’t have dickheads on my team I’m just saying it is something coaches take into consideration when drafting players. Probably a fair reason why he slid to the 50s to begin with.

RedmanWasHere

Rarely in kitchens at parties.
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Brisbane AFLW
J. Kelly
P. Cripps
The Bont (if not for injuries he'd be #2)
B. Brown
Z. Merrett
J. Sicily
M. Crouch
T. Barrass
T. Nankervis
D. Gardiner

SHIT!

We have the same players in our top 10 but in different order.

Mine is this:

J. Kelly.
P. Cripps.
Z. Merrett.
The Bont.
B. Brown.
M. Crouch.
J. Sicily.
D. Gardiner.
T. Barrass.
T. Nankervis.

Judd2Sewell

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
SHIT!

Mine is this:

J. Kelly.
P. Cripps.
Z. Merrett.
The Bont.
B. Brown.
M. Crouch.
J. Sicily.
D. Gardiner.
T. Barrass.
T. Nankervis.
I think the top 10 are pretty clear at this point in time.

What's your reasoning for Zerrett over the Bont?

Virgin Dog

Team Captain
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
SHIT!

Mine is this:

J. Kelly.
P. Cripps.
Z. Merrett.
The Bont.
B. Brown.
M. Crouch.
J. Sicily.
D. Gardiner.
T. Barrass.
T. Nankervis.
I get that we are both probably very biased to our own clubs, but would you really take Merrett over Bont? Bont has achieved a lot more in his career (even excluding the premiership), and is more of a unique player, given he is a tall, goalscoring mid. Not saying Merrett isn't an absolute gun, but I'd be more likely to place him somewhere 4th to 7th (hard to decide where Brown, Sicily, Crouch and Merrett go)

Wild Bill

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Jesus... I’m not saying I wouldn’t have dickheads on my team I’m just saying it is something coaches take into consideration when drafting players. Probably a fair reason why he slid to the 50s to begin with.
So you honestly believe there was a question mark on Sicily’s personality when he was 17 and that’s why he slid?? Understand you don’t like him or the hawks but this is a massive stretch and I haven’t seen any quotes to back your claim up.

Top Bottom