Toast 2014 ND Pick #34 - Welcome to Freo Connor Blakely

Remove this Banner Ad

I have him in a real competitive SCD league, so I watched basically him for the last few games. I would say he stays in your team because he is young, fit, it is 2020 and he tried hard on the weekend. He could have scored 120+ on whatever weird metrics CD use for scoring and could also have just as easily been dropped because some of his stuff ups were comical. Actually, an annoying player to have in a deep draft league because he will score 90 and get dropped!

But he flew around like a little madman, he tried hard to crash through tackles and made a few boys prop and wear some big hits and I liked it. He got out of stoppages a few times. I know it is is defensive stuff that might get him dropped - I do my homework - but I thought he made a few mistakes but not through lack of effort - a few of his front pressing approaches were textbook. The coaches at Freo surely have to be happy with how he has responded to being dropped. I still think he will get better over the next 40 games. 30-50 games is where GUN players aim to become good. Most others is around the 80+, another season, mostly uninterrupted will be good for him I think. If he can improve on doing different jobs: play forward, pinch hit of HB, play tight in the middle, etc. you would think he is good enough to be a solid AFL player.

Even if he is only 65% of Brayshaw, you need both blokes to win a flag. I'd take him at Geelong. Not saying he would get a game (ha!) but I'd like to have him in line!
Blakely and 30 for 16 + future 4th as a sweetener. Done. :)

Don’t see much difference between Blakely and Brayshaw. Both good players who try their guts out every time they take the field. Both have good disposal by hand but poor by foot. Both have questionable decision making.
One is currently a fan favourite, the other a former fan favourite.
Blakely was never a fan favourite. He was just better than Lamb.

What was there to dislike about Lachie G Mus? I briefly considered changing my cat’s name when Lachie went to Brisbane. In the end though it proved easier to adopt Brisbane as the team to support when not playing Freo.

What was there to dislike about Lachie G Mus? I briefly considered changing my cat’s name when Lachie went to Brisbane. In the end though it proved easier to adopt Brisbane as the team to support when not playing Freo.
Wasn’t as clean as he is now, didn’t have that penetration and drive with the ball, certainly didn’t kick it as much and was worse defensively than Fyfe, both of them combined wasn’t a good balance

Wasn’t as clean as he is now, didn’t have that penetration and drive with the ball, certainly didn’t kick it as much and was worse defensively than Fyfe, both of them combined wasn’t a good balance
I'd argue he was just as clean and still is worse defensively than Fyfe. He's definitely added that drive out of contests and become a more damaging player with the ball though.

Fagan has helped his game significantly. Already had the fitness, effort down. Just needed accountability and use his possession for the team’s benefit. Skills vs effort. Also he’s been playing more offensively, which I thought he was underrated at Freo. Knows how to kick a goal. Just didn’t get that chance often enough

I'd argue he was just as clean and still is worse defensively than Fyfe. He's definitely added that drive out of contests and become a more damaging player with the ball though.
Fyfe is bigger. Neale isn’t going to be a defensive weapon, no point really. He does rack up tackles inside though.

Michael Barlow: Does Connor Blakely shift clubs in 2021, or make it impossible not to pick him at Fremantle?
Michael BarlowThe West Australian
Thu, 20 August 2020 7:00PM

The curious case of Connor Blakely highlights the importance of being multi-faceted when in the modern AFL.
What comes next in his career will be fascinating. Many have ridden the lower end of the depth chart like Blakely, few have copped to the uncomfortable reality and made the necessary changes.
The easy option would be to shift clubs. The harder option is to get to work and make it impossible for the coach to overlook you. Connor Blakely has that capacity.
There was never any doubt about what Blakely’s output would be when he was given the opportunity in the first-choice Fremantle team in 2020. Since his inclusion in round 10 he has had 23 possessions (at 61 per cent time on ground), 14 (63 per cent) and 18 (55 per cent). We know what he gives as an inside midfielder, even after Ross Lyon sent him to half-back to add new elements to his game.
He’s just one of a number of players across the league in the same situation, a fringe player who may begin to ponder which clubs might be able to give them more best-22 opportunities. But many have thought the pastures may be greener elsewhere, only to learn their shortcomings don’t disappear with a change of environment.
The ball-hunting, inside midfielder with a license to play on instinct live an enviable existence to those in their slipstream. Names like Nat Fyfe, Patrick Dangerfield, Lachie Neale and Patrick Cripps are players that spring to mind immediately.
Players with a superior skill set who deliver consistent performances to validate their magnets being almost exclusively inside the centre square.
From personal experience, players long to be given this opportunity and role within the team. The reality, also from personal experience, is that such aptitude only exists in the elite few.
But even those players are finding it necessary to diversify. Fyfe has increased his time in the forward line from seven per cent in 2019 to 33 per cent this season. We’ve seen the same thing with Dangerfield in the past two seasons (27 per cent forward in 2019 and 32 per cent in 2020).
These two players have shared three of the past five Brownlow Medals and have had to adjust their roles to satisfy team balance and performance.
So, to an extent, the best in the business are already bending to the needs of their teams, teams that are experiencing breakout years for players either coming into the AFL and drafted as midfielders — Caleb Serong — or playing increased midfield minutes and thriving, like Cam Guthrie and Sam Menegola at the Cats.
If that elite category of player can add extra elements to their craft, then that indicates it’s even more important for those players in their slipstreams.
Blakely at the Dockers, 2016 top-10 draft pick Will Brodie at Gold Coast, former No.4 pick Dom Tyson at North Melbourne and Cam Ellis-Yeolman at Brisbane are examples that the modern-day AFL doesn’t work with an oversupply of bigger-bodied inside midfielders.
Tyson and Ellis-Yeolman are at their third and second club respectively, with Will Brodie a near certainty to follow suit in 2021.
But this type of player can’t go to the new club with the perception that their new reality will adapt to their circumstances. This won’t be the case. The ability to improve your deficiencies and be willing to play different roles is as important now as it ever has been.
Tyson was squeezed out of a star-studded youthful GWS midfield before seeking greener pastures at Melbourne, when Groundhog Day saw him move on and skip to the lower end of North Melbourne’s midfield depth chart. The hopes and dreams attached to a trade did not transition to reality.
There are always outliers. Tom Mitchell left Sydney to get more opportunities at Hawthorn and elevated his game to become the top dog.
But even in his case, on his return from a broken leg he has also been asked to mix more time in the front half to accommodate an array of similar midfielders at the Hawks.
In Blakely’s case, he has the advantage of having shown he can play at half-back under Lyon. Add that to his obvious aptitude in the midfield and there is enough to suggest he has the potential for a long career at the Dockers.
And while there’s still a lot to play out for Fremantle’s No.19, should he look for a new environment he has to understand it in no way means a change in fortunes at the selection table.
The next five weeks will be crucial for Blakely. If it all comes together, and he shows he can expand his game, he’s exactly the type of player Fremantle need to assist the climb back up the ladder.

Michael Barlow: Does Connor Blakely shift clubs in 2021, or make it impossible not to pick him at Fremantle?

The curious case of Connor Blakely highlights the importance of being multi-faceted when in the modern AFL.
What comes next in his career will be fascinating. Many have ridden the lower end of the depth chart like Blakely, few have copped to the uncomfortable reality and made the necessary changes.
The easy option would be to shift clubs. The harder option is to get to work and make it impossible for the coach to overlook you. Connor Blakely has that capacity.
There was never any doubt about what Blakely’s output would be when he was given the opportunity in the first-choice Fremantle team in 2020. Since his inclusion in round 10 he has had 23 possessions (at 61 per cent time on ground), 14 (63 per cent) and 18 (55 per cent). We know what he gives as an inside midfielder, even after Ross Lyon sent him to half-back to add new elements to his game.
He’s just one of a number of players across the league in the same situation, a fringe player who may begin to ponder which clubs might be able to give them more best-22 opportunities. But many have thought the pastures may be greener elsewhere, only to learn their shortcomings don’t disappear with a change of environment.
The ball-hunting, inside midfielder with a license to play on instinct live an enviable existence to those in their slipstream. Names like Nat Fyfe, Patrick Dangerfield, Lachie Neale and Patrick Cripps are players that spring to mind immediately.
Players with a superior skill set who deliver consistent performances to validate their magnets being almost exclusively inside the centre square.
From personal experience, players long to be given this opportunity and role within the team. The reality, also from personal experience, is that such aptitude only exists in the elite few.
But even those players are finding it necessary to diversify. Fyfe has increased his time in the forward line from seven per cent in 2019 to 33 per cent this season. We’ve seen the same thing with Dangerfield in the past two seasons (27 per cent forward in 2019 and 32 per cent in 2020).
These two players have shared three of the past five Brownlow Medals and have had to adjust their roles to satisfy team balance and performance.
So, to an extent, the best in the business are already bending to the needs of their teams, teams that are experiencing breakout years for players either coming into the AFL and drafted as midfielders — Caleb Serong — or playing increased midfield minutes and thriving, like Cam Guthrie and Sam Menegola at the Cats.
If that elite category of player can add extra elements to their craft, then that indicates it’s even more important for those players in their slipstreams.
Blakely at the Dockers, 2016 top-10 draft pick Will Brodie at Gold Coast, former No.4 pick Dom Tyson at North Melbourne and Cam Ellis-Yeolman at Brisbane are examples that the modern-day AFL doesn’t work with an oversupply of bigger-bodied inside midfielders.
Tyson and Ellis-Yeolman are at their third and second club respectively, with Will Brodie a near certainty to follow suit in 2021.
But this type of player can’t go to the new club with the perception that their new reality will adapt to their circumstances. This won’t be the case. The ability to improve your deficiencies and be willing to play different roles is as important now as it ever has been.
Tyson was squeezed out of a star-studded youthful GWS midfield before seeking greener pastures at Melbourne, when Groundhog Day saw him move on and skip to the lower end of North Melbourne’s midfield depth chart. The hopes and dreams attached to a trade did not transition to reality.
There are always outliers. Tom Mitchell left Sydney to get more opportunities at Hawthorn and elevated his game to become the top dog.
But even in his case, on his return from a broken leg he has also been asked to mix more time in the front half to accommodate an array of similar midfielders at the Hawks.
In Blakely’s case, he has the advantage of having shown he can play at half-back under Lyon. Add that to his obvious aptitude in the midfield and there is enough to suggest he has the potential for a long career at the Dockers.
And while there’s still a lot to play out for Fremantle’s No.19, should he look for a new environment he has to understand it in no way means a change in fortunes at the selection table.
The next five weeks will be crucial for Blakely. If it all comes together, and he shows he can expand his game, he’s exactly the type of player Fremantle need to assist the climb back up the ladder.
It's a really interesting read that one and makes a lot of sense. Personally I'm not sure where even an in-form Blakely fits in the squad unless its taking Mundy's midfield minutes next year. I think to be considered near the best 22, he needs to get away from being an 'inside-midfielder' and turn into a midfielder. The shift for him doesn't need to be forward or back, but to have the capacity to get to work on the outside of contests as well.

This isn't really as any fault of his own, but as the article says - Fyfe is top dog in that inside midfield role. Of the next bunch (Walters, Cerra, Brayshaw, Tucker, Serong, Mundy) they'd all be capable of playing decent footy on the wing. Given these guys all play better as inside mids and we're giving them development minutes through there - It just really doesn't make much sense to have Connor in unless he claims that top-dog position (which with Nat around is unrealistic). Hence, he needs to add that string to his bow the same way the others have. Looking at it from this perspective does make you wonder, is the reason he's taking tacklers on all the time because he's been told to work on that inside-to-outside aspect of his game and just not found the balance yet?

How good is this journalist.

I really don't see top dog potential in Blakeley, and think Barlow dances around that. There would never be a discussion about whether to tag Blakeley or not. The best inside mids are elite in other areas in addition to ball winning. Blakeley isn't. He feels like a poor man's Conca.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i expect that interview will shut a few people up (if their egos allow it)
Egos? Yep, that's what people requesting Conor be traded have, egos.

Name me one player that said mid season (not injured), I think I might explore my options at trade table.

It's almost as if he's a professional sportsman who knows how to answer questions in front of a camera.

Egos? Yep, that's what people requesting Conor be traded have, egos.

Name me one player that said mid season (not injured), I think I might explore my options at trade table.

It's almost as if he's a professional sportsman who knows how to answer questions in front of a camera.
nah it was all those (earlier) comments about having dodgy/questionable character, other players not wanting him around, not respected, bad for culture, not getting picked for some of those reasons, bs. Interview gives good insight into the stand up guy he is, hence why he is good mates and spends a lot of time outside the club with Fyfe.

Yes, I have an issue with people constantly suggesting trading out a range of our players. Successful footy teams don't have a constantly revolving door mentality that I've seen but I guess we don't have experience with that. But, no I agree that an interview is not a reason for not wanting to trade out one of players if you're into that.

It's a bit like Nick Suban, but at least he doesn't run full tilt leading with his head.

I was watching a S.Freo game a couple of weeks back, and I swear Suban got done HTB a couple of times as he always did, then rolled his eyes, stared down the umpire and mouthed off that he was being umpired unfairly (or words to that effect). Same same. :tearsofjoy:

#mymatenick
View attachment 938964
i'll never forgot the North game where he ran into someone neck first

Remove this Banner Ad

Back