Game Day 2017 draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Tyrone has high risk element because of his out of footy "commitments". I think he is very similar to Dayle Garlett. Plenty of talent but plenty of risk to go with it.
Interesting... A real talent i have heard

Interesting... A real talent i have heard
He had big wraps as an underager but he hasn't come on like he was expected too. I think this is due to enjoying himself and footy not being his number one priority. He hasn't been invited to the combine so I highly doubt he will be pursued.

Always hard to turn a wayward kid away from his shortcomings.
All the tallest in the world won't save a loose unit.
The club has taken flyers before...

He had big wraps as an underager but he hasn't come on like he was expected too. I think this is due to enjoying himself and footy not being his number one priority. He hasn't been invited to the combine so I highly doubt he will be pursued.
Thats really sad and its why i didnt like your post

That is exactly the type of slider we should be trading back into the first Rd for.
Ready made is always hard to come by & those that are assimilate quicker IMO

My thoughts also.

Had a quick look through the phantom drafts and he doesn't even get a mention in any of them so he may even slide to our 1st pick in the 2nd round.

Burton looks an absolute steal at pick 19 as does Witherden for brissy.

To a lesser extent Harry Morrisson was rated top 30 at the start of last year before injuries ruined his year and he went at 74.

There is something about taking the risk on these injured kids to perhaps get a bargain unless you draft a bloke at #6 who attends the draft in a wheelchair :D

Jonty Scharenberg - 19 - Glenlg - didnt get recruited at all after being touted as a potential top 10 talent in last years draft, has played good footy in the SANFL, would be an absolute BARGAIN.... Brians Bargains

Jonty Scharenberg - 19 - Glenlg - didnt get recruited at all after being touted as a potential top 10 talent in last years draft, has played good footy in the SANFL, would be an absolute BARGAIN.... Brians Bargains
Is he still a notorious ball burner?

I'm expecting our draft position to be similar to last season once trading is over (think of how we can/will land Lever and Balic, doesn't leave us much this year). We will look to improve/build upon our 2018 draft position though. One extra pick in the first couple of rounds in 2018 without giving anything up is a win for us even though many won't see that for 12 months or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope the club is monitoring the progress of Oskar Baker at the Aspley Hornets. The 'ginger ninja' plays like a young Keith Greig or if you like Isaac Smith - fast, takes the game on, kicks long range goals, and can tackle.

Picking up Oskar Baker would quickly negate any loss from a possible Billy Hartung trade.

Oskar Baker's goal of the year in the NEAFL: .

Last edited:
i think we may draft a Box Hill Player or 2

some of the players in contention

Anthony Brolic - 21 y/o 183cm 86kg - good physique, has been one of our best forwards for box hill this year

Chris Jones - 22 y/o 196cm 85kg - really promising tall forward, i would be shocked if he didnt get at least rookied for an AFL team

Sam Switkowski - 20 y/o 178cm 68kg - x-factor forward/mid, another talented kid that came through the Box Hill system

i hope we list or rookie Jones, Brolic and Switkowski.....

Billy Murphy - 21 y/o 173cm 67kg - small running forward pocket, can kick bags of goals, has a lot of heart and goal-sense, negatives are his height and weight, which might hold him back from top-level football

Max Warren - 24 y/o 183cm 82kg - very skillful player, have only seen a little of him, but he is impressive overall

Warren has skill and i like him, but being 24 and a bit of a risk, Murphy is a great little battler, but im not sure if he would fit in the AFL, but all-in-all these guys have been HUGE for Box Hill and most are still young...
What makes you say this Davo-27? Generally I've noticed that we don't seem to draft a lot of BHH players. Any reason why you think this year will be different?

What makes you say this Davo-27? Generally I've noticed that we don't seem to draft a lot of BHH players. Any reason why you think this year will be different?

theres been a lot of talent at BHH since we started our partnership with them and it would be a shame to miss out like we have on a few in the past

some notible BHH Players:
Sam Mitchell (Haw/WCE)
Michael Firrito (North)
Ben McGlynn (Haw/Syd)
Ed Curnow (Carl)
Robbie Campbell (Haw)
Sam Gibson (North)

*there are a dozen others that had smaller careers in the AFL

i just think those 3 (Brolic/Jones/Switkowski) are better than VFL standard and might have a chance at being AFL Players, Brolic looks like a ready made player, maybe a Flanker or inside mid type, Jones is a great contest player and takes a good grab, he is a bargain KPP option for at least squad depth and Switkowski has a lot of ability and skill.... whether they make it or not, they are worth considering with late draft picks and rookie contracts ect

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back