State of Origin 2017 NSW vs QLD SoO Discussion Thread - QLD win 2-1

Game 3 Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I see Gerard Sutton was one of the referees, that explains it...Don't think QLD have ever lost a close game under his reign.

I just am so thankful he ****** up the Broncos v Titans game so badly last year he lost his spot for the NRL GF, we would never beat Melbourne with him in charge

you think Melbourne has a ref who looks after them? wow.

So just to be clear:

- the penalty that led to the Blues' first try, awarded because the Blues player decided to play the ball on Gavin Cooper's leg (Cooper was literally only getting to his feet and was not illegally entangled in the play the ball) was fine then? Right.

- the accidental offside from the NSW bomb that was knocked into a teammate in an offside position, which should have been a penalty but instead ruled a knock on - that was fine? Ok.

- Slater getting taken out chasing a kick in identical circumstances to the instance you're talking about, that gets ignored?

Just trying to be clear here.

you forgot Gillet getting taken out on suspicion around the 57min mark.

Poor reffing tipped in the Reds favour - but NSW should have closed QLD out with the same aggressive, attacking Rugby they played in the first half and in the first game too. The defensive game was never going to work against the Reds - they saw their opportunity and took it.

....and now the aftermath starts.
How many of the 34 back up this week?
Already out: Morris, Smith, Slater, Cronk, Tedesco, Chambers, Frizell.
Doubtful: Boyd, Jayne, Thurston, Cordner.

Dont really follow the Leagues but why is Nsw so lame?

Their two best players over the last 10 years are:
Jarryd Hayne, who turns up when he feels like it, and plays in a position where he can't really win his team the match most of the time. When he was at fullback he could, not so much in the centres or on the wing. Also missed 2 years 'dream chasing.'

Paul Gallen. A grub of the highest order, he was a ball hog who had a freak work rate but simply got in the way, and never bent the defensive line back. In a way he'd have been a perfect Queensland player. Their class in the halves and the backline has meant that their forward pack has generally been made up of toilers like Myles, Civoniceva (he was a bit better than that but he wasn't an 'impact' forward), Price etc. Gallen would have fitted right in.
Because the Blues haven't had great halves and strike weapons, they've needed explosive forwards to stay competitive. Gallen wasn't one.

Well, maybe, But I'll say this, as a Wigan fan: if I could choose any NRL player to be in my side for my next game, Gallen would probably be top of my list. And most penalised, and much criticised, James Maloney wouldn't be far behind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, maybe, But I'll say this, as a Wigan fan: if I could choose any NRL player to be in my side for my next game, Gallen would probably be top of my list. And most penalised, and much criticised, James Maloney wouldn't be far behind.

He's as hard as a coffin nail. One thing he will never do, is stop trying. But he's selfish, doesn't like to alter his game to accomodate others. Price and Civvo were very similar players to Gallen but took a bit more stopping and were ideal for what was around them. I don't think it's a coincidence that Gallen's greatest success at club level has come when he has had dynamic players like Holmes, maloney, Fifita and Graham around him as opposed to the bore-you-to-death sides of the past where it was just one grafting player after another.

DCE won't get a game for Queensland until there is a change of coach and thus they can work him and his playing style into the team. If not next year, 2019.

As for Game 3, that is a massive bonus for NSW with the emotive pull of JT's last Origin game taken out of it (sure Cronk could say he is retiring but it won't have the same effect). Kevin Walters said on NRL360 on Thursday Night that Morgan would be the likely player to replace JT with Milford unavailable, while Origin II 18th man Cam Munster in the mix for the bench role. Did also throw up Corey Norman and Moses Mbye as possible names while leaving DCE out.

So clearly think it will be Morgan to 6 and Munster to 14

NSW name an unchanged team for Game 3

Queensland make 2 changes with Michael Morgan coming off the bench to replace Johnathan Thurston at five-eighth while Cameron Munster comes in at centre for Darius Boyd (thumb) with Ben Hunt named to the bench.

As much as I want the Blues to win this, I just can't see them beating the Qld juggernaut. Maroons will be that hyped up to do it for JT and maybe Cronk and maybe Slater and maybe Smith. Huge game.

Back