Play Nice 2018 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Where do you think Gold coasts improvement will come from? North and Brisbane will finish above them.

Dude, crazy coincidence- I am watching TBL as we speak. Clearly you're not a golfer!

I think their improvement will comr from a much more stable environment and undeveloped but inspired players with good potential. Will surprise us - both QLD teams will.

Dude, crazy coincidence- I am watching TBL as we speak. Clearly you're not a golfer!

I think their improvement will comr from a much more stable environment and undeveloped but inspired players with good potential. Will surprise us - both QLD teams will.

15th and 16th on your ladder isn't surprising. That's still in bottom 4 territory where most people expect. Personally I think Brisbane are capable of better. I have no faith in Gold Coast though.

15th and 16th on your ladder isn't surprising. That's still in bottom 4 territory where most people expect. Personally I think Brisbane are capable of better. I have no faith in Gold Coast though.

Brisbane are capable of better but in order to achieve that things need to go our way. I suspect a 6-10 win season in what will be another close year.

Well that's just like your opinion man.

I can't see it with Gold Coast. Stone cold last for me.

My wildly speculative and most likely misinformed ladder prediction.

1. GWS - No more excuses or pardons. Time is now.
2. Geelong - Simonds advantage + Gablett should see them right up there.
3. Adelaide - The very best sides in history rarely win B2B minor premierships and I think Adelaide will regress slightly. Still dangerous.
4. Richmond - Won't be carrying the added pressure and will win plenty of games.
5. Sydney - Showed great fight last year but are regressing.
6. West Coast- Are going to be much better than people realise.
7. Port - Tougher draw and newer players means gelling issues, but think they will get it together in second half and come into finals hot. The week off means they are as good a chance as any.
8. Melb - Not super confident in the Dees but backing them in simply because failure is not an option.
9. Ess - Expecting many crazy, high scoring affairs but consistency may get them in the end.
10. St Kilda - Still a couple of years away.
11. Freo - Will surprise but won't sustain it.
12. Dogs - Competitive but won't kick winning scores again.
13. Collingwood - Another middling finish for a side that was built to contend.
14. Hawthorn- Fans are optimistic but I think they are in for a long year.
15. Carlton - Should look to improve on last years win total and continue improvement. Some of the best young players in the comp.
16. GC
17. Brisbane
18. North

1. West Sydney
2. Adelaide
3. Port adelaide
4. Sydney
5. Richmond
6. Essendon
7. Geelong
8. Melbourne
-------------------------
9. West. Bulldogs
10. St Kilda
11. Fremantle
12. West coast
13. Hawthorne
14. Collingwood
15. Gold coast
16. Brisbane
17. North Melbourne
18. Carlton

1. Adelaide -Gibbs is a big gain. Will be stung by GF performance. Fortress at home. V strong forwards and mids. Although, missing Smith and Lever means backs are weaker.
2. GWS -loss of Wilson is a blow, but surely will have a better run with injuries. Still one of the most talented and balanced lists.
3. Essendon -hate to say it, but think they will be a force. Strong key forwards and backs, quick flankers and outside players. Question on the engine room players -do they have enough?
4. Port Adel. -chances starting to run out for their top age players. I'll back Rockliff and Motlop to make a significant contribution and lift them a few places.
5.Melbourne -are heading in right direction. A full year from Hogan and Gawn and they may climb even higher.
6. Richmond -are confident and will stick with their game plan, but last year everything fell into place for them, especially at the end of the year. Might expect to hit a few more speed humps this year, as other sides develop counter strategies.

7. Collingwood -obviously optimistic. Think Cox's role forward will be a key if we are to improve. I'll back him in. That, plus having a stable team that plays week in, week out with minimal changes.
Sydney -still have too much talent to drop out of 8, but can't see where the improvement will come from to lift them any higher.

The also-rans:

Geelong -have lost Mackie, Motlop, Lonergan and Darcy Lang -all played in their finals teams last year. Ablett has not played a full season in years and is turning 34, Selwood is also showing signs of wear and tear. Backs and forwards are not strong. Home ground will see enough wins to be competitive.
St Kilda -can't see where any major improvement will come from. Can Patty Mc stand up and partially replace Reiwoldt? Around the same as last year.
Dogs -lost Murphy and Stringer. Don't have faith in Boyd and Schache. Going backwards.
Hawthorn -will miss presence and leadership of Hodge. Mids are Mitchell and ....?
Brisbane -will be on the rise, but a couple of years away.
WCE -will Nic Nat get back to his best? Do they have enough quality mids? Too many questions.
Freo- honestly have no idea, but can't see where major improvement will originate.
Carlton -"Prefer others"
North -"No"
Gold Coast -will be looking forward to picking up Jack Lukosius and Izak Rankine with picks 1 and 2 in the 2018 National Draft.

1. Adelaide -Gibbs is a big gain. Will be stung by GF performance. Fortress at home. V strong forwards and mids. Although, missing Smith and Lever means backs are weaker.
2. GWS -loss of Wilson is a blow, but surely will have a better run with injuries. Still one of the most talented and balanced lists.
3. Essendon -hate to say it, but think they will be a force. Strong key forwards and backs, quick flankers and outside players. Question on the engine room players -do they have enough?
4. Port Adel. -chances starting to run out for their top age players. I'll back Rockliff and Motlop to make a significant contribution and lift them a few places.
5.Melbourne -are heading in right direction. A full year from Hogan and Gawn and they may climb even higher.
6. Richmond -are confident and will stick with their game plan, but last year everything fell into place for them, especially at the end of the year. Might expect to hit a few more speed humps this year, as other sides develop counter strategies.

7. Collingwood -obviously optimistic. Think Cox's role forward will be a key if we are to improve. I'll back him in. That, plus having a stable team that plays week in, week out with minimal changes.
Sydney -still have too much talent to drop out of 8, but can't see where the improvement will come from to lift them any higher.

The also-rans:

Geelong -have lost Mackie, Motlop, Lonergan and Darcy Lang -all played in their finals teams last year. Ablett has not played a full season in years and is turning 34, Selwood is also showing signs of wear and tear. Backs and forwards are not strong. Home ground will see enough wins to be competitive.
St Kilda -can't see where any major improvement will come from. Can Patty Mc stand up and partially replace Reiwoldt? Around the same as last year.
Dogs -lost Murphy and Stringer. Don't have faith in Boyd and Schache. Going backwards.
Hawthorn -will miss presence and leadership of Hodge. Mids are Mitchell and ....?
Brisbane -will be on the rise, but a couple of years away.
WCE -will Nic Nat get back to his best? Do they have enough quality mids? Too many questions.
Freo- honestly have no idea, but can't see where major improvement will originate.
Carlton -"Prefer others"
North -"No"
Gold Coast -will be looking forward to picking up Jack Lukosius and Izak Rankine with picks 1 and 2 in the 2018 National Draft.

Finally some sense re; Geelong. They have tried to hang onto their winning culture and have only won 3 of their last 11 finals since their 2011 flag. All while losing this talent that won them the flags in 07, 09 and 11. They win a few due to that crazy home ground advantage they have and people get sucked into thinking they’re contenders.

Finally some sense re; Geelong. They have tried to hang onto their winning culture and have only won 3 of their last 11 finals since their 2011 flag. All while losing this talent that won them the flags in 07, 09 and 11. They win a few due to that crazy home ground advantage they have and people get sucked into thinking they’re contenders.

fancy having a home ground in the city/region your club has played in since the 19th century, it's a bloody outrage

fancy having a home ground in the city/region your club has played in since the 19th century, it's a bloody outrage

They have little travel but a huge home ground advantage. This gives them a leg up over every other team who don’t have the luxury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They have little travel but a huge home ground advantage. This gives them a leg up over every other team who don’t have the luxury.
No you had that Luxury and your members voted to throw it away to play at the G, fair call and it was yours to make but Geelong didn't go that route.

No you had that Luxury and your members voted to throw it away to play at the G, fair call and it was yours to make but Geelong didn't go that route.

I’m not complaining about not having a proper home ground because a Melbourne club having what Geelong have now was never remotely realistic. I am saying Geelong get a few more wins because of their choice that they otherwise wouldn’t have.

The Hawks lost all six games when Mitchell had is six highest possession games for the year

Bullshit.

For a start there were 7 games, because he got 38 possessions twice which were his equal 6th highest possession games. The top 3 possession games were all losses (Collingwood 50, Carlton 44, Geelong 43). GWS and Gold Coast were both 39 possession games, and that was a draw and a loss. His equal 6th highest possession games on 38 possessions were a win and loss. So his top 6 possession games included a win and a draw, which is quite different from "lost all six games which Mitchell had his six highest possession games". I wonder how much of the rest of what you have written is just straight up bullshit.

Bullshit.

For a start there were 7 games, because he got 38 possessions twice which were his equal 6th highest possession games. The top 3 possession games were all losses (Collingwood 50, Carlton 44, Geelong 43). GWS and Gold Coast were both 39 possession games, and that was a draw and a loss. His equal 6th highest possession games on 38 possessions were a win and loss. So his top 6 possession games included a win and a draw, which is quite different from "lost all six games which Mitchell had his six highest possession games". I wonder how much of the rest of what you have written is just straight up bullshit.
Ok I was out by one, and a draw isn't a win.
You Hawks are so sensitive now you have an ordinary list and are just making up numbers.
For the record

50 disp - Loss - r9 Pies
44 disp - Loss - r22 Blues
43 disp - Loss - r17 Cats
39 disp - Loss - r10Suns
39 disp - Not a win but Draw - r16 GWS
38 disp - Loss - r2 Crows
38 Disp - Win - r14 Crows.

Looking good!
Did you not read where I said I got "one" wrong?

It went like this-

"Ok I was out by one, and a draw isn't a win.
You Hawks are so sensitive now you have an ordinary list and are just making up numbers.
For the record

50 disp - Loss - r9 Pies
44 disp - Loss - r22 Blues
43 disp - Loss - r17 Cats
39 disp - Loss - r10Suns
39 disp - Not a win but Draw - r16 GWS
38 disp - Loss - r2 Crows
38 Disp - Win - r14 Crows.

[Lots a losses to s**t teams in them big possession games- is that what some people call a "downhill skier"]

Exactly my point. When you have a competitive team, you do well in the finals. When you don't have a competitive team, you still generally make the finals because of your incredible home ground advantage, but do poorly in them.
Newsflash. Competitive teams are known to win finals. Well I never...

Ok I was out by one, and a draw isn't a win.

It isn't a loss either. You said we'd lost all our games last year in his top 6 possession winning games. Here is your exact post if you've forogtten:
"The Hawks lost all six games when Mitchell had is six highest possession games for the year"

You were out by two, but we already knew you had trouble counting after your last post. Out by one would be saying Richmond has won 0 flags in the last 35 years.

GWS- too much talent too not be here. can they put it all together. I think so.
Adelaide- hard to beat at home, adding gibbs to the midfield was a must as were shown up GF day in the guts. can cover lever and Cameron.
Port- Will motlop, rockliff, watts pay off? I think so. Adelaide oval big advantage.
Geelong- A team with selwood, danger and ablett has to make the top 4 surely? * all depth or young talent though. enjoy it while it lasts geelong. spoons are coming.
Sydney- buddy franklin puts them in the 8.
Richmond- Tiges star power will keep them near top 4.
Western bulldogs- will bounce back after a underperforming 2017. too good too miss the 8.
Essendon- Great off season, kids are getting better, great spine. can they do a Richmond?
Hawks- hawks will surprise and make the 8 with Omera in brownlow contention.
Melbourne- great list but still abit immature as a whole team. silly suspensions will cost them a spot in the 8.
St Kilda- Still not enough star players on the list, likely pick Sloane up next year. look for a big jump in 2020.
West coast- LBH priddis and Mitchell were s**t last year so the eagles won't drop off that much, NIC NAT returns will be a boost. other teams getting better though so will miss the 8.
Fremantle- KPP are the biggest issue at fremantle. picked up a couple of guns for the future in the draft. won't improve on last year or drop any lower IMO.
Brisbane- Inclusions of Cameron, hodge, Rayner will be a big boost for the young lions. going to be good to watch next year. could shock.
North Melbourne- Still have a few decent players in Ziebell, Cunnington, Goldstein, Brown, Tarrant etc. will upset a few teams this year.
Gold Coast- Like carlton with the likes of ablett gone and few good senior players the kids are good but not enough depth to compete against the bigger bodys.
Carlton- Losing Gibbs and Docherty will be too much for a young developing side, will win 1-5 games. look for improvement in 2 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back