Play Nice 2018 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

We finished 5th at the end of the home and way season and we beat Sydney and west coast... clearly not a great team but to say that we weren’t a good team is just stupid
Sydney were in their 0-6 run. It was round 1 wasn’t it? Although a very good debate point but these teams weren’t in the 8 when you beat them but I guess it counts.

1. Patrick Cripps (1st full preseason too)
2. Weitering and curnow showed glimpses in 2nd year. Traditionally players who show this have improved 3rd years.
3. A full season of Liam jones at CHB.
4. A preseason into SPS, Fisher and Williamson (2nd year players)
5. A fit Ciaran Byrne
6. Inclusion of Kennedy (best 22 in GWSs midfield)
7. Inclusion of Lang (see Geelong v sydney final in 2017 for evidence)
8. The return of Ed Curnow (evidence - my opinion + we have struggled without his leadership and fitness base late in the last 2 seasons + statistically compares to other elite midfielders + fittest bloke on the list + can stop oppositions best players).

Fair enough. And where do u predict the blues will finish?

Fair enough. And where do u predict the blues will finish?
14th-15th. Probably 6-8 wins.
Betting agencies has us 15th I front of GC, Bris, and north but I can see west coast and Fremantle being down their too. West coast will want pick 1-3 in this draft and have previously been known to drop down to rebuild for a year.

Last edited:

Well, maybe they weren't a great team, but they had the foundation to be one.

Look, not every team is in that position to do what Richmond did. If most teams do it, then those that do not and successfully focus on drafting well will become the dominant teams. Then, teams will start running to drafting again.
Essendon won’t even make the finals and if they do (cos of their best draw in the comp) they will lose the elim. Just a s**t soft football side with a very weak midfield that leak too many goals and haven’t done anything to fix it. Their inclusions of Saad, Stringer and Smith don’t fix their midfield problem or their backline problem.

They are being severely overated on here, lets not forget they got done by Brisbane at Etihad and Carlton (lol).

1. Patrick Cripps (1st full preseason too)
2. Weitering and curnow showed glimpses in 2nd year. Traditionally players who show this have improved 3rd years.
3. A full season of Liam jones at CHB.
4. A preseason into SPS, Fisher and Williamson (2nd year players)

6. Inclusion of Kennedy (best 22 in GWSs midfield)
Agree that you guys will improve next year on the back of the first 4, but saying Kennedy was a best 22 mid at GWS is incorrect. He was dropped after round 21 when the starters came back from injury.

You know what is interesting?

This was the Round 1 ladder in 2017:

1. Adelaide
2. Geelong
3. Richmond
4. West Coast
5. Port Adelaide
6. Melbourne
7. Essendon
8. Western Bulldogs
9. Brisbane
10. Gold Coast
11. Collingwood
12. Hawthorn
13. St Kilda
14. Sydney
15. North Melbourne
16. Carlton
17. Fremantle
18. GWS

8 teams (Adelaide, Geelong, Richmond, Port Adelaide, Essendon, Hawthorn, North Melbourne and Carlton) ended up finishing the H&A season exactly where they were placed after Round 1.

This included 5 teams that finished in the top 8 (Adelaide, Geelong, Richmond, Port Adelaide and Essendon).

Of the remaining 10, 6 teams finished within 4 spots or less of their Round 1 placement (Western Bulldogs = 2, Collingwood = 2, St Kilda = 2, Melbourne = 3, Fremantle = 3, West Coast = 4).

Of the remaining 4 after that, Brisbane finished 9 spots away, Gold Coast finished 7 spots away, Sydney finished 8 spots away and GWS finished 14 spots away, the furthest. Coincidentally, these are the Northern teams from Queensland and New South Wales.

Anyway, since the competition is equalising, is how you begin the season starting to become more and more important?

It is also interesting to note that the top 2 sides of Round 1 in 2016 (Western Bulldogs = 1 and Sydney = 2) were the Grand Finalists, with the top seed (Bulldogs) winning the Grand Final.

Tigers could be 0-2 after the Adelaide game. Now that would be a worry. Young sides tend to start well and grind finalists slow.
Tigers are a young side hahaha (that actually won the flag, not stunk it up in the bottom half of the ladder.)

Lol Carton is gonna beat us are they ? Mate we send in our 2s for that game and still win

That is how rubbish the blues are

Last edited:
Hoefully they can feel good about themselves if they beat us in a regular match after getting their arse handed to them in the grand final
Well that's the thing

They would have been humiliated by that performance and look to avenge. Thing is emotion can sometimes mean they overdo it.

Round 1 they play essendon which is tricky

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not denying they drafted well. I’m saying it could be the downfall of the AFL if all teams start topping up for premierships. And no Port Adelaide weren’t a good team in 2017. They didn’t beat anyone in the top 8 all year. Even Carlton beat 3.
Söoooooo everyone one here bangs on about Essendon being hard to trade with. Then they trade and now we suck because we topped up on a few positions. This has been the nature of AFL for 20 years. I recall one team throwing vissy Park at one Judd but that's ok. Hawthorn Geelong have topped up consistently for years. But Essendon it's a different set of rules.

Good on you for being optimistic about your team's chances but I would be very surprised if the Eagles (or Dockers) make the 8 this year. A few years rebuilding I think.

We won 16 games two years in a row (2015-16) and we still have the nucleus of that team, with our only real loss from that team being Priddis.
I’m optimistic they will surprise a few

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's where he wants us to finish. Nothing bold about that.

No it’s where I’m predicting Richmond will finish. Premiership hangover like the Bulldogs this year. I think you’re a chance to miss finals, But thought if I put you 9th it would be seen as trolling, so 10th is the next closest option.

I don’t really want any team to finish a particular spot on the ladder bar my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tigers are a young side hahaha (that actually won the flag, not stunk it up in the bottom half of the ladder.)

Lol Carton is gonna beat us are they ? Mate we send in our 2s for that game and still win

Or 2-0 after playing 2 sides we flogged in previous encounter.

Historically grand finalists start slower than the rest of the competition. An extra month of training. The possibility of a hangover. I’d like to think Carlton can turn around a 26 point deficit from our last encounter.

Edit: I’m sure you’ll have a few people just like me to remind you all about it when it happens. Lol. The beauty of under estimation.

Historically grand finalists start slower than the rest of the competition. An extra month of training. The possibility of a hangover. I’d like to think Carlton can turn around a 26 point deficit from our last encounter.

Edit: I’m sure you’ll have a few people just like me to remind you all about it when it happens. Lol. The beauty of under estimation.
Blues fans think they can knock off the reigning premier after finishing 3rd last the year before.

It must be off season.

Blues fans think they can knock off the reigning premier after finishing 3rd last the year before.

It must be off season.

Of course they can, upsets happen in football.

I don't think it will happen but of course they could beat you.

Wow its sad how far you guys have fallen as a rival that I totally forgot that 2nd closer game happened. My bad.

Blues aren’t rubbish if you take them lightly they will beat you imo.

Teams like Blues,Lions won’t be easy beats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back