NFL 2018 Super Bowl LIII - Los Angeles Rams vs New England

Super Bowl options.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

get

After all the drama of the last few Superbowls this one was much harder to watch I reckon.

I don’t mind defences having a say and making things tough but the game to me just lacked tension and excitement. Even though the game was close in the fourth I never felt like the Rams were going to win or even seriously challenge the Pats. Watching Goff trying to get any sort of yardage was painful. Had a feeling all along on that key drive that he would turn it over and he did.

Yeah exactly. I can understand appreciating the defensive tactics but that doesn't make it entertaining or exciting. Defensive games can be exciting when the defense makes big plays but that didn't really happen here except for one INT at the very start and one at the very end. There were a number of sacks but only one or two were really "exciting". This was just a dull game with its only saving grace that it was close to the end.

As someone who watches football every week it still kept me entertained but for those who only really watch once a year I can understand them being bored senseless.

They wouldn’t have made the Super Bowl if it wasn’t for Brady in the AFC title game.
I'm going to say it had more to do with Belichick keeping the best offence in the league scoreless in the first half. Don't get me wrong Brady is still clutch as hell but he didn't exactly set the world on fire in that game. He doesn't screw up that endzone pick then there's probably no OT debate

Like he did against the Saints...oh hang on

Foles was in position to win the game if you remember. & wouldn't have been carrying any 'Brady/Pat is unbeatable Gohd' baggage into yesterdays contest.

Anyway, not going out on a limb to say any of the defeated NFC playoff sides would have put up a better showing than the Rams managed.

Last edited:
Hey fuey how did you do with all your prop bets today?

2/4

Greatesst of all time and giselle shots, but greatest show on turf and belichick genius did not.

How Belichick wasn't called a genius for that defensive game, I don't know!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations to Tom Brady for becoming the winningest quarterback in NFL history. Still has a bit of work to do to catch up to Tucky, though.

160511MichaelTuckPortrait.jpg

I enjoyed the game immensely. I reckon that had you told McVay before the game that the Rams' defence would hold the Patriots to 13 points for the game, he'd be fairly confident of winning.

The Patriots seemed to have Aaron Donald under control, but Phillips was canny enough to make Brady's life pretty difficult, only for Brady and McDaniels to counterpunch with the crucial touchdown drive where Brady went four for four on the drive and allowed Michel to punch in the touchdown.

On the other hand, Goff was exposed as being an average quarterback. He committed just about all the errors you could think of - held the ball too long, ate too many sacks and couldn't find open receivers due to poor reads. He really should have put the Rams in front when he missed a wide open Cooks in the back of the end zone following a defence breakdown on the Pats. A good quarterback would have summed up the situation quicker and made a flatter throw to ensure that McCourty couldn't get across in time to knock the ball away.

And the interception he threw was just a bad throw compounding a bad decision.

The touchdown drive is pretty interesting. Other than the first play to Gronk on the fake block/wheel route the Pats went 3/3 with 2 TEs, 1 RB and Develin - a run heavy set but they lined up five-wide (Develin and Burkhead outside the numbers).

Brady had struggled to identify man v zone most of the day but when Develin and Burkhead lined-up out wide and were marked by Talib and Peters it was a dead giveaway.

I enjoyed the game immensely. I reckon that had you told McVay before the game that the Rams' defence would hold the Patriots to 13 points for the game, he'd be fairly confident of winning.

The Patriots seemed to have Aaron Donald under control, but Phillips was canny enough to make Brady's life pretty difficult, only for Brady and McDaniels to counterpunch with the crucial touchdown drive where Brady went four for four on the drive and allowed Michel to punch in the touchdown.

On the other hand, Goff was exposed as being an average quarterback. He committed just about all the errors you could think of - held the ball too long, ate too many sacks and couldn't find open receivers due to poor reads. He really should have put the Rams in front when he missed a wide open Cooks in the back of the end zone following a defence breakdown on the Pats. A good quarterback would have summed up the situation quicker and made a flatter throw to ensure that McCourty couldn't get across in time to knock the ball away.

And the interception he threw was just a bad throw compounding a bad decision.
There were only a handful of opportunities where he could have even had a chance at throwing to "open" receivers. The Pats Secondary played an immense game and that's not even raising the fact of the Pats Front 7, specifically the DL, dominated this game. Pats took the run game out of the equation which made play action (effectively) useless then controlled and moved the LoS. It was good old fashioned trench domination, something old timers and football connoisseurs appreciated.

There were only a handful of opportunities where he could have even had a chance at throwing to "open" receivers. The Pats Secondary played an immense game and that's not even raising the fact of the Pats Front 7, specifically the DL, dominated this game. Pats took the run game out of the equation which made play action (effectively) useless then controlled and moved the LoS. It was good old fashioned trench domination, something old timers and football connoisseurs appreciated.

True, but Goff also threw to covered receivers when he did have receivers open that, for whatever reason, he ignored.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/super-bowl-53-jared-goff-rams

Personally, I see a lot of parallels between Goff and Mark Sanchez. With a team full of veterans and play makers around him, the Jets got to the AFC Championship game twice in two seasons but Sanchez ultimately couldn't put the Jets over the hump and into the Super Bowl, because when the Jets needed Sanchez to make plays, Sanchez couldn't deliver.

I think McVay has done a wonderful job elevating Goff's level of play, but when the Patriots rendered Gurley ineffective and challenged Goff to make plays, he came up very short because he doesn't have the necessary level of talent to take advantage of what the Patriots gave him.

True, but Goff also threw to covered receivers when he did have receivers open that, for whatever reason, he ignored.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/super-bowl-53-jared-goff-rams

Personally, I see a lot of parallels between Goff and Mark Sanchez. With a team full of veterans and play makers around him, the Jets got to the AFC Championship game twice in two seasons but Sanchez ultimately couldn't put the Jets over the hump and into the Super Bowl, because when the Jets needed Sanchez to make plays, Sanchez couldn't deliver.

I think McVay has done a wonderful job elevating Goff's level of play, but when the Patriots rendered Gurley ineffective and challenged Goff to make plays, he came up very short because he doesn't have the necessary level of talent to take advantage of what the Patriots gave him.
That's the thing about perceived pressure, it forces you into bad reads.

Back