Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Couldn't see a thread about this, and considering it should be out in the next two weeks, let the speculation begin...

How many games at KP?
Who will we play twice?
Which "big" club (lol Carlton) will come down the highway?

A potential leaked Rd 1:
44185985_1984221861871100_7225621114980925440_n.jpg

WCE spent time yesterday discussing the potential round 1 match against Geelong being played in Geelong:
- will Geelong fans boo Kelly when he lines up for us :rolleyes:
- will Geelong fans boo Kelly when he isn't traded :rolleyes:
apparently it would be ok to boo Kelly when playing matches in Geelong as it wouldn't be racists as the match isn't in Perth.

and considering we barely boo the umpires and the opposition even less so, not sure why the club would suddenly turn on one individual especially as they are still playing for us

- there was also complaints about how WCE are premiers are shouldn't be subjected to having to travel to Geelong - and more than a few choice words to describe the place such as hell, full of ice addicts and blah blah blah.

If WCE are our round 1 opponents & the match is in Geelong, bring it on - looking forward to the encounter

But my opinion has long been that the reigning premiers should have their round 1 match at their home ground to allow them to unfurl the flag in front of their home crowd

With this talk about the AFLPA signing off on one 5 day break per club, you can bet ours will be interstate against Adelaide or West Coast on a Thursday night.
Better than at home.

I'm expecting by the next broadcast rights deal to have Thursday become a permanent, every round fixture.

Better than at home.

I'm expecting by the next broadcast rights deal to have Thursday become a permanent, every round fixture.

Don't just expect it. You can count on it.

The Beatles, Pink Floyd and ABBA might have sung about it. But they collectively had nothing on the AFL's unstinting commitment to 'money, money, money'.

And a bit more money thrown in after that as well.

For 'the good of the game'.;)

Couldn't see a thread about this, and considering it should be out in the next two weeks, let the speculation begin...

How many games at KP?
Who will we play twice?
Which "big" club (lol Carlton) will come down the highway?

A potential leaked Rd 1:
44185985_1984221861871100_7225621114980925440_n.jpg
Reverse the venue for Geelong,West Coast after last night.

This is the AFL, though. There is no 'due'.

Apart from Toma being due another 'line in the sand' suspension for a trifling misdemeanour.

We're due one of those in about Round 4 next season.
Depends who we play next round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think last year's fixture was released on Tuesday Oct 31. If I'm correct with that (I'm not certain though) then we could see the 2019 fixture released on Tuesday 30 Oct less than two weeks away.

Fixture day is one of my favourite days in the footy calendar as there's so much planning that can then take place like OS holidays, other games to attend when Geelong is not playing etc.

Last edited:
Fixture day is one of my favourite days in the footy calendar as there's so much planning that can then take place like OS holidays, other games to attend when Geelong is not playing etc.

Certainly. Once the fixture is out, you can lock in your O/S trip for the week after our bye. After all, you won't be missing any football from the Cats if you're away for our 'game' after the bye.

As above, really.

:mad:

WCE spent time yesterday discussing the potential round 1 match against Geelong being played in Geelong:
- will Geelong fans boo Kelly when he lines up for us :rolleyes:
- will Geelong fans boo Kelly when he isn't traded :rolleyes:
apparently it would be ok to boo Kelly when playing matches in Geelong as it wouldn't be racists as the match isn't in Perth.

and considering we barely boo the umpires and the opposition even less so, not sure why the club would suddenly turn on one individual especially as they are still playing for us

- there was also complaints about how WCE are premiers are shouldn't be subjected to having to travel to Geelong - and more than a few choice words to describe the place such as hell, full of ice addicts and blah blah blah.

If WCE are our round 1 opponents & the match is in Geelong, bring it on - looking forward to the encounter

But my opinion has long been that the reigning premiers should have their round 1 match at their home ground to allow them to unfurl the flag in front of their home crowd
The day I hear supporters booing our own players is the day I get up out of my seat and give them a clip myself. I wouldn’t even boo Menzel so I doubt anyone is going to boo Kelly.

Who I reckon we’ll play twice: Melbourne, Hawks, Sydney, GC, WCE, NM

9 games is what we’ll get. GFC won’t want to give up those games at the G, and as it’s almost certain we’ll play Hawthorn twice, one of those games will count as one of our home games.

9 games is what we’ll get. GFC won’t want to give up those games at the G, and as it’s almost certain we’ll play Hawthorn twice, one of those games will count as one of our home games.

Don't forget that the AFL will also factor in finishing position from this year with regards to double up matches, and will to feature a few of those teams we finished around us at the end of the year, as well as "traditional rivals".

Hawthorn ticks the box for traditional rival and we know we play then twice.

Teams that finished around us and will likely make up the other 4 matches include: Sydney, GWS, Port, Essendon (I want us to host the country match next year & not continually allow Essendon to host it), North.

Not sure the AFL will see the need for us to play GC twice this year, there's no serious rivalry between the two teams, and same with WCE even though the AFL might want to play on the Kelly no trade.

The other team that is a chance is Richmond, but if we play them twice the AFL needs to seriously consider that our home match needs to be played in Geelong, because our home match at the MCG against them fails to draw even a decent crowd. Give me 30k in Geelong rather than 40k at the MCG.

Last edited:
Don't forget that the AFL will also factor in finishing position from this year with regards to double up matches, and will to feature a few of those teams we finished around us at the end of the year, as well as "traditional rivals".

Hawthorn ticks the box for traditional rival and we know we play then twice.

Teams that finished around us and will likely make up the other 4 matches include: Sydney, GWS, Port, Essendon (I want us to host the country match next year & not continually allow Essendon to host it), North.

Not sure the AFL will see the need for us to play GC twice this year, there's no serious rivalry between the two teams, and same with WCE even though the AFL might want to play on the Kelly no trade.

The other team that is a chance is Richmond, but if we play them twice the AFL needs to seriously consider that our home match needs to be played in Geelong, because our home match at the MCG against them fails to draw even a decent crowd. Give me 30k in Geelong rather than 40k at the MCG.
I suppose the GC double play this year was for Ablett, and they weren’t exactly crackers. No need to do it next year too.

I still think we’ll get Melbourne twice though, both games were excellent close finishes this year and I can see the AFL hoping for more of the same.

I really hope we don’t get Essendon twice, as they seem to have had the measure of us the past couple of years. Plus my bro is a Bomber and I’m sick of getting his smug messages after games. :'(

Wasn't Jeff Kennett saying he wouldn't mind if we played Hawthorn in Geelong next year?

Wasn't Jeff Kennett saying he wouldn't mind if we played Hawthorn in Geelong next year?
Kennett acknowledged that it was better for Geelong financially to play home games in Geelong versus playing them in Melbourne.

He said he would be happy for Hawthorn to play Geelong in Geelong as long as the playing surface was deemed suitable and safe for AFL matches, and from his perspective, Launceston is the best ground in the league.

As long as we have the signage around the ground fixed where it's no longer sharp for those who crash into it, then I can't see any genuine complaints about the ground presenting themselves

I really hope we don’t get Essendon twice, as they seem to have had the measure of us the past couple of years. Plus my bro is a Bomber and I’m sick of getting his smug messages after games. :'(
What's funny about the Essendon games in the last couple of years, is they played a game style that wasn't their own and was a style that had beaten us previously by other teams.

I remember Scott saying (last season) they weren't prepared for the way the Bombers had played as it was different to their previous month of footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back