News 2020 Pre-season - New and Improved after Rd 1 with Rd2 in June. ***

Remove this Banner Ad

[B="bulletproof, post: 64150662, member: 8274"]
I think Clark's huge running power and goal kicking ability means he will play wing. Agree we need an extra running half back but I think Clark will play further up the ground.
how about we play players in their best positions, leave Clarke at H/B and give Kenerley a go in his natural position on the wing.
[/QUOTE]

Clark is a bad defender 1 on 1 on the other hand he is a classic metres gained player. Wing is his spot.

Bews, touhy, clark all have an offensive game. Touhy pretty much is only about offense. The coaches do not allow them to use it. Our strategy is to hold the ball up and kick to the wing.

Agree..the way we play more than personnel is our issue with ball movement.

Agree..the way we play more than personnel is our issue with ball movement.
Agree on all points and considering the wing is a spot of big concerns with this list I hope they leave clarke there ....they may also use Zuthrie on the wing too if he is big enough now

Opening bounce round 1 of season 2020 and our starting midfield quartet is: Stanley, Guthrie, Guthrie & Parsons

Which player will be #1 in the firing line by the fans?
Wow that will be a physically intimidating group :rolleyes:

Tough call on scapegoats, but when in doubt go with whoever in playing on the wings, its a Cats fan tradition :p

Wow that will be a physically intimidating group :rolleyes:

Tough call on scapegoats, but when in doubt go with whoever in playing on the wings, its a Cats fan tradition :p

I thought about it earlier - if I substituted Stanley out and Jenkins in, would it make the decision even harder ;)

Please note that I'm not endorsing that as our starting midfield quartet, but good luck to those pushing their case for selection

Agree on all points and considering the wing is a spot of big concerns with this list I hope they leave clarke there ....they may also use Zuthrie on the wing too if he is big enough now

Was surprised to see Zuthrie named as making a push as an attacking onballer in the recent article.

“They have done a lot of midfield work this pre-season so far and I think their first couple of weeks post-Christmas have been outstanding. The way they are attacking the ball but also picking up the ball and running with it and breaking lines has been great, so those guys are really demonstrating some good training habits and are keen to nail a spot in that 22."

Hadn't noticed that. I am not sure he is the type "to see ball get ball" to be able to play on ball on the inside or has the pace needed to break lines. Not even off half back.
He strikes me as a calculating footballer who sums the game up ahead of him very well but I can't remember any VFL games where he has attacked the game once he has made the intercept.

I guess its possible for a kid to blossom but this would be a big surprise for me.

Parsons on the other hand was running hard away from stoppages at the bits of training I saw and may be making his last chance count.

Opening bounce round 1 of season 2020 and our starting midfield quartet is: Stanley, Guthrie, Guthrie & Parsons

Which player will be #1 in the firing line by the fans?
If that's it then our so called great depth clearly doesn't stretch to the midfield,God help us if that line up eventuates.

If that's it then our so called great depth clearly doesn't stretch to the midfield,God help us if that line up eventuates.

There's only 5 mid/wing positions (not including ruck), six if you count a bench player. We have these players all vying for one of those spots: Danger, Steven, Sel, Narkle, Cockatoo, C. Guthrie, Duncan, Menegola, Parfitt, Clark, Fogarty, Constable, Atkins. That's before we even get into the new recruits like Stephens who could play early, and then depth like Simpson, Parsons, Brownless, Kennerley, Z. Guthrie (though unlikely) etc. We'd need 7 of those first 13 to get injured/be injured, before we got into the fringe players like the latter group. We also have Dahl and Ablett up forward who can roll through there too.

I'd say we're more than fine when it comes to depth in the mids.

Was surprised to see Zuthrie named as making a push as an attacking onballer in the recent article.

“They have done a lot of midfield work this pre-season so far and I think their first couple of weeks post-Christmas have been outstanding. The way they are attacking the ball but also picking up the ball and running with it and breaking lines has been great, so those guys are really demonstrating some good training habits and are keen to nail a spot in that 22."

Hadn't noticed that. I am not sure he is the type "to see ball get ball" to be able to play on ball on the inside or has the pace needed to break lines. Not even off half back.
He strikes me as a calculating footballer who sums the game up ahead of him very well but I can't remember any VFL games where he has attacked the game once he has made the intercept.

I guess its possible for a kid to blossom but this would be a big surprise for me.

Parsons on the other hand was running hard away from stoppages at the bits of training I saw and may be making his last chance count.
Zuthrie ball use and calmness under pressure would suit him well in the middle and on the wing imo

Zuthrie ball use and calmness under pressure would suit him well in the middle and on the wing imo
how does he stack up height-wise, I'm trying to picture him with a strong core and chest and able to compete with the big boys in the scrum. who would he be compared to in size around the league.
for me, I'm not worried about his head, its his ability to collide and push off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how does he stack up height-wise, I'm trying to picture him with a strong core and chest and able to compete with the big boys in the scrum. who would he be compared to in size around the league.
for me, I'm not worried about his head, its his ability to collide and push off.
Google lists him at 186cm I haven’t looked at the cats page for an updated height

Just want to wish the cats fans a good season this year. Do you think losing TK will hurt the chances of finals?

Hows the Cats fans banter game these days?

Spinning James Parsons as a small forward who is moving into midfield after he spent the entire 2019 season playing in the centre square in the VFL is peak pre-season content.

7 disposals 6 clangers v Richmond rd13 got it's just rewards in 2018 and wasn't seen again,one game last year and dropped,it would be a massive turnaround for Zuthrie to be best 22 playing wing or midfield this season unless we are destroyed by multiple injuries. Unlikely to be a Cat in 2021 IMO, still we have form in extending contracts to spuds GHS and Kersten spring readily to mind so who knows.It's true to say his Brother clouds my judgment on Zach as well so maybe I'm being a harsh.

7 disposals 6 clangers v Richmond rd13 got it's just rewards in 2018 and wasn't seen again,one game last year and dropped,it would be a massive turnaround for Zuthrie to be best 22 playing wing or midfield this season unless we are destroyed by multiple injuries. Unlikely to be a Cat in 2021 IMO, still we have form in extending contracts to spuds GHS and Kersten spring readily to mind so who knows.It's true to say his Brother clouds my judgment on Zach as well so maybe I'm being a harsh.
He did have a good game in a final against Richmond a couple of years back. Just hasn't kicked on.

You can make stats look like anything , he has potential and his game is good despite your negativity towards him.

With all the above mentioned surely he's got good friends in the place.
There's a few mature aged players missing getting drafted because of this guy.

With all the above mentioned surely he's got good friends in the place.
There's a few mature aged players missing getting drafted because of this guy.
Yeah but f**k mature agers. Wish we'd stop doing that so much.
Would rather bring a young group through together. I get that some young players like Zuthrie aren't as talented as mature recruits that get a game ahead of them, but a young group all coming through together, all on the same page makes a better team overall.

Yeah but f**k mature agers. Wish we'd stop doing that so much.
Would rather bring a young group through together. I get that some young players like Zuthrie aren't as talented as mature recruits that get a game ahead of them, but a young group all coming through together, all on the same page makes a better team overall.

He's not that young and he's had plenty of time to show what he can do, even at VFL level he's just a player.
I understand the partisan support but sometimes it gets a little over the top.

With Zuthrie and players like him you need to consider the BATNA, what's the best alternative to a negotiated agreement i.e. contract extension?

We have averaged around 2 trade ins per year and we have 3 first round draft picks so 5 places to fill on the list. We already have 2 confirmed retirees. I think we can find 3 players to drop before him depending on how the year goes and so it becomes a question of valuing Zuthrie ahead of say pick 50+ in a bad draft. On that I think he gets extended a year and probably gets a run a few times middle of the season.

He's not that young and he's had plenty of time to show what he can do, even at VFL level he's just a player.
I understand the partisan support but sometimes it gets a little over the top.
Yeah I don't think he's a massive talent or anything but I do see enough that he could possibly be a best 22 player on merit maybe in a couple of years.
Does have a go and can be very composed when playing well.
Rather give a few of these types a real go and have a crack at building a kick arse team 4-5 years down the track than getting mature agers who are better right now but will be gone in 2 years.
Just my opinion. I don't care about making top 4 just because.
But I know many do and I get that too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back