West Coast's top 30 picks lately:
2021: #14 Chesser
2020: None
2019: None
2018: #28 O'Neill (two L's)
2017: #13 Brander, #21 Allen, #26 Ryan
2016: #13 Venables
2015: #28 Partington

Why would they want to cough up a potential top ten pick to get Johnson?

Because they need to?

Johnson v Goater

Both big bodies ✅
Johnson WA ✅
Goater Vic ❌
Judging by the highlights Goater looks a bit slicker and cleaner with the ball ✅
Tough one 🤔

This is the wrong way around. Goater isn't as good using the ball as Johnson
Then it’s Johnson ✅
Forget to mention his tackling ✅

I thought Goater looked a bit more agile and evasive with some nice laser kicks

Johnson v Goater

Both big bodies ✅
Johnson WA ✅
Goater Vic ❌
Judging by the highlights Goater looks a bit slicker and cleaner with the ball ✅
Tough one 🤔

Goater has WA connections.
'While the 'go home' factor has been an issue for many clubs over the past decade, Goater could be a different prospect. His father David was born in Western Australia, playing for East Perth in his youth.

Despite growing up in Victoria, Goater's WA connection has sparked the interest of Fremantle and West Coast who have both shown interest in the midfielder.

"I do have family over in WA, so it's obviously something that I wouldn't shy away from and I'd be more than willing to move across. I'd be happy with any club that would be interested in taking me at the draft, so I wouldn't shy away from going to WA. '

Johnson v Goater

Both big bodies ✅
Johnson WA ✅
Goater Vic ❌
Tough one 🤔

Sorry to intrude, but one thing I had read was that Goater uses the ball fairly well when playing off half back, but when he plays in the middle he lacks a bit of composure with his kicking. Johnson is by far the cleaner player although he has far more experience in that midfield role.

Pumped for you guys if you decide to take Johnson. I'm not sure anyone would have thought you could nab all three WA lads with your picks.

Anyone think we might go Sam Butler? Pace and defensive pressure is exactly what we're missing in the forward line. I do love Johnson though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If at the start of the draft you had said we’d get Amiss/Erasmus sand one of Johnson/Goater/Sonsie (who I like the most out those left)/Draper I would have said you were crazy

in that case a 3 place slide plus a F2 would be a great outcome.

Looking at it the other way around, if we had say pick 26-28 ish and a f2 would we consider trading up to 21 to get Johnson ?

I’d guess that’s a yes, pretty sure we did something similar for O’Driscol last year and he wasn’t quite so highly rated.

On that logic it would need to be a very very good offer to drop back and miss the chance to grab him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Conundrum.

Would love Johnson. Perhaps we rated him around 10-12 also.

So any deal for our next pick should be the equivalent of 10-12 in order to convince us to part with it.

Making it more interesting is the fact that Hawthorn, Geelong and Richmond all have multiple picks in the 20s (3 for Richmond) so they are no doubt quite interested in using them to trade up.

Hawks - given the mail pre draft, would be dead keen on Johnson, so a deal with them would be a deal that means we miss out on Johnson but gain Pick 23 (Goater, Sonsie, Motlop, Butler) plus a future second (highly doubt Hawks would part with both of their picks this year)

Geelong - may be keen on Johnson, Sonsie, Goater, Knevitt - perhaps they would offer 24 plus 32 (they also have 25) to trump the Hawks. This would mean Hawks pick before us - most likely Johnson - so we end up with Sonsie, Goater or Knevitt/Motlop plus perhaps Williams at 32.

Richmond - could trump those two by offering picks 28 and 29 (or 30). We likely miss out on Johnson, Goater, Sonsie, maybe Motlop/Knevitt. End up with someone like Williams/Bazzo, Howes, Butler. Becomes a bit of a lottery given the number of picks before 28. Doesn't seem like its better value than Johnson (pick 10-12 value?).

So my mail is on Hawks or Geelong if we do a pick swap.

It's been said by many but it really is a great position to be in, I'm so torn on which outcome I want the most.

Picking Johnson is just a bit romantic, get all the rated WA boys and set ourselves up.
Or make a trade to get a F2 for next year, while keeping a hand in the 20-30 range where there is a lot of attractive talent left and potentially better list balance (or even still get Johnson!).

My head says the trade is the best option because there are a lot of good options;
21-25: Johnson, Sonsie, Butler, Goater, Draper - all of these appeal for different reasons
26+: Bazzo, Williams, Motlop, Knevitt - some decent options still left, and there's even potential that could bump up a future pick to an F1 or likely early F2

Good to pick up a plya that would already be out to prove people wrong.
Could we be cheeky and snowball our pick to fill our hand for next year?

Hawks offer 23 and future 2nd.
Then we trade 23 for hypothetical pick 30 and future 2nd.
Then we just pick up a Clark, Motlop, Dittmar, Bazzo around 30?

We’d have effectively given up rights for Johnson, Goater, Draper, Sonsie type for 2 x 2nd rounders and one of the type of players mentioned.

We held pick 19 for a reason. I won’t mind Johnson or Goater but we have no hand next year and pick 19 unlocks this opportunity 100%.
Probably losing Lobb and 1 or 2 others will give us a hand for next year, strike now for this year, we have had enough top drafteees now in the last few years.

Living interstate I've only seen the draft video for Johnson rather than his local form but how good is he at getting the ball as he gets crunched, absorbing the hit and dishing off the ball?

Unless Freo rate Johnson a mile in front of the next best 5 or so candidates remaining in the draft, then if the Hawks came to us with #23 and #26 for #21 and #53 I'd do it. Still a chance we'd end up with Johnson anyway and if we're guaranteed of getting two of Johnson/Goater/Sonsie/Butler/Motlop/Bazzo/Howes/Knevitt/Draper then it'd be hard to turn it down.

No draft grade yet from old KM, but apparently we should have taken Erasmus and Johnson with our first two. And gone for Tyler Keitel late instead of Amiss. Good luck with that.
what would you do at this point Chris? Who is available that you think has the best chance of making it and would fit in at Freo knowing our needs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back