List Mgmt. 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
.. we ain't finding a quality ruck prospect way down there.

I have my doubts that we'll draft/trade a ruck this year.

We have drafted McAndrew as a project player and obviously to develop he needs minutes in the ruck.

We drafted Pat Mitchell & Kyle Galloway as project rucks a few years back and they were gone pretty quickly, without much minutes in the ruck because of other guys on our list and therefore they were given little chance to develop.

Now obviously hoping McAndrew is better than them, but my view (assuming we do give Sinclair another year) is that we will monitor his progress this season and determine whether he has the capabilities to become an AFL standard ruck and that will influence our drafting/trading next year, rather than this off-season.

EDIT I was typing as SGBeach was posting. :thumbsu:

dream land stuff

we hold lol the cards 23 or nothing and that being generous doing the right thing

probably worth realistically 15 to 23 but 23 not too far off what worth. 23 will get it done

we lost Keith 40 plus greenwood pretty much same . That’s how works we win some we loose some we got shafted with Keith and greenwood that’s how trades even up

Stop trying to compare your struggles over players that don't justify comparisons to Dawson. We're not simpletons who just nod and accept that Keath and/or Greenwood are equivalent in value, or age, or place in the team when you lost them.

If you think Dawson is "worth" pick 15-23, you know little about him.

Yeah you hold most of the cards, no reason to flood the thread with nonsense.

Stop trying to compare your struggles over players that don't justify comparisons to Dawson. We're not simpletons who just nod and accept that Keath and/or Greenwood are equivalent in value, or age, or place in the team when you lost them.

If you think Dawson is "worth" pick 15-23, you know little about him.

Yeah you hold most of the cards, no reason to flood the thread with nonsense.
I reckon we hold a few cards too.
1.. We have a quality and deep list of 1st - 4th year players ie. developing kids...
- We can afford to send Dawson to the PSD (where North or Collingwood would take him.. 100% certain of that)
- Suns made a stand with Martin 2019, Giants made a stand with Hately 2020, Swans will be prepared to make a stand 2021. Northern clubs making a (strong and continuous) stand together has its power.
2.. crows are a rabble, yes, a developing rabble, which is still a rabble. They need to make this trade work as they havnt had the opportunity to trade in an A-grader for years thanks to Port getting all the SA big trades

Id be very surprised if we drafted a Ruck. We just drafted one mid season.
Yep, we'll need another ruck in a year or two, but drafted rucks take 4-6 years to develop. Better off trading in a 22-24yo second ruck from somewhere

I have my doubts that we'll draft/trade a ruck this year.

We have drafted McAndrew as a project player and obviously to develop he needs minutes in the ruck.

We drafted Pat Mitchell & Kyle Galloway as project rucks a few years back and they were gone pretty quickly, without much minutes in the ruck because of other guys on our list and therefore they were given little chance to develop.

Now obviously hoping McAndrew is better than them, but my view (assuming we do give Sinclair another year) is that we will monitor his progress this season and determine whether he has the capabilities to become an AFL standard ruck and that will influence our drafting/trading next year, rather than this off-season.

EDIT I was typing as SGBeach was posting. :thumbsu:

I think we need to draft a ruck, our age profile dictates it. Sinclair and the ruck jesus are not young, the question is more so which age group do we draft in, older or younger than McAndrew? I suspect older

Get Moore out of pies
would rather pay and hold onto McDonald, Gulden, Campbell, Stephens, Warner, Blakey, Rowbum, McInerney, T & P McCartin etc.. than pay that guy to be injured
Get Moore and lose 2-3 from the above list

on the other hand..
The only way to get more out of pies is to add some tucker *er (tomatoes sauce)

Id be very surprised if we drafted a Ruck. We just drafted one mid season.
Yep, we'll need another ruck in a year or two, but drafted rucks take 4-6 years to develop. Better off trading in a 22-24yo second ruck from somewhere
If we net 3-4 picks in the first two rounds I can easily see us taking a ruck. A key defender should be our absolute number one priority but after that I'd be pretty happy to take a ruck if there's a decent one available.

would rather pay and hold onto McDonald, Gulden, Campbell, Stephens, Warner, Blakey, Rowbum, McInerney, T & P McCartin etc.. than pay that guy to be injured
Get Moore and lose 2-3 from the above list

on the other hand..
The only way to get more out of pies is to add some tucker f***er (tomatoes sauce)
If we run out cap right we can fit them all in

Other clubs seem to do it fine and still bring in players

If we net 3-4 picks in the first two rounds I can easily see us taking a ruck. A key defender should be our absolute number one priority but after that I'd be pretty happy to take a ruck if there's a decent one available.
reckon we'll take a mid and a KPP with our 1st two selections.
In the mid season draft, something like 9 out of the 15 players selected were Rucks. There are cheaper ways to get a ruck than using a high draft pick ( then developing them for 5 years). We might draft a ruck, who knows ?
Ill back us trading one next year.

I reckon we hold a few cards too.
1.. We have a quality and deep list of 1st - 4th year players ie. developing kids...
- We can afford to send Dawson to the PSD (where North or Collingwood would take him.. 100% certain of that)
- Suns made a stand with Martin 2019, Giants made a stand with Hately 2020, Swans will be prepared to make a stand 2021. Northern clubs making a (strong and continuous) stand together has its power.
2.. crows are a rabble, yes, a developing rabble, which is still a rabble. They need to make this trade work as they havnt had the opportunity to trade in an A-grader for years thanks to Port getting all the SA big trades

Can we just afford to throw away pick 23 or similar? I could provide a list of era-changing players drafted at or after pick 23. It's pretty dumb to pass that opportunity up.

Where did Martin and Hately end up? At the club of their choice. Some stand. Hately wasn't so much of a stand, the Giants weren't going to use the pick offered to them, so they just avoided the paperwork.

North etc are extremely unlikely to pick Dawson. We might hope they make noises and Crows panic, but they won't take him. There's theories that it would net a draft pick in a year or so, when they try to trade Dawson to the Crows themselves, but there's a fair risk. Crows move on, Dawson either goes backwards because he's not where he wants to be, or gets a significant injury and then they're saddled with a big, long term deal that no-one wants a part of, or the trade value plummets. A very hard sell if it backfires in the Covid era of reduced caps.

If we run out cap right we can fit them all in

Other clubs seem to do it fine and still bring in players
If we run our cap right.. how, by paying the players rent?
Dawson and his Missus will be paying approx $40-50k/year less in rent living in Adelaide. ( a bill after tax)

Can we just afford to throw away pick 23 or similar? I could provide a list of era-changing players drafted at or after pick 23. It's pretty dumb to pass that opportunity up.

Where did Martin and Hately end up? At the club of their choice. Some stand. Hately wasn't so much of a stand, the Giants weren't going to use the pick offered to them, so they just avoided the paperwork.

North etc are extremely unlikely to pick Dawson. We might hope they make noises and Crows panic, but they won't take him. There's theories that it would net a draft pick in a year or so, when they try to trade Dawson to the Crows themselves, but there's a fair risk. Crows move on, Dawson either goes backwards because he's not where he wants to be, or gets a significant injury and then they're saddled with a big, long term deal that no-one wants a part of, or the trade value plummets. A very hard sell if it backfires in the Covid era of reduced caps.
crows need to make this trade happen as much, if not more than the Swans do
just how I read it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

crows need to make this trade happen as much, if not more than the Swans do
just how I read it.
Yeah, they do. We take what they give us, or they get him in the PSD. It's not fair, but it's the most realistic view. I'm hoping they're scared of stuffing it up, but they probably don't need to be.

reckon we'll take a mid and a KPP with our 1st two selections.
In the mid season draft, something like 9 out of the 15 players selected were Rucks. There are cheaper ways to get a ruck than using a high draft pick ( then developing them for 5 years). We might draft a ruck, who knows ?
Ill back us trading one next year.
I really just want Mac Andrew on the team whilst we simultaneously play McAndrew, McCartin, McDonald, McInerney and McLean.

I really just want Mac Andrew on the team whilst we simultaneously play McAndrew, McCartin, McDonald, McInerney and McLean.
Could be McCartin x 2

Think we already broke the record with the most Maccas playing one game earlier this year, but we could improve that record and make it untouchable.

Hawthorn posters keep linking us to Daniel Howe, but haven't seen anything mentioned anywhere else. Would make sense given our apparent interest in Lipinski, and Howe's an NSW boy.

Again, haven't seen much else to substantiate this beyond Hawks posters suggesting we're sniffing around, but would be a decent pick-up if cheap IMO. 191cm utility player. If it was true, you would have to assume the club see him being in our best 22, or else not sure how we would convince him to move.

Hawthorn posters keep linking us to Daniel Howe, but haven't seen anything mentioned anywhere else. Would make sense given our apparent interest in Lipinski, and Howe's an NSW boy.

Again, haven't seen much else to substantiate this beyond Hawks posters suggesting we're sniffing around, but would be a decent pick-up if cheap IMO. 191cm utility player. If it was true, you would have to assume the club see him being in our best 22, or else not sure how we would convince him to move.

Hope it's not true as I'm not convinced he would be in our best 22.

Crows are seeking to trade 23 to be jerks (similar to what saints did to us for Jones) remove options and then say.... look this is all we have.

If they are it will be part of pick 4 being split to get two later first round picks with one of those to satisfy us for Dawson.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hope it's not true as I'm not convinced he would be in our best 22.
I rate Howe, personally, but would be curious to hear where we would be envisioning playing him. Maybe it's an (almost) reverse-Dawson and he's homesick because of Covid and wants to return to NSW.

From what I can see Howe is from Yarrawonga which is just on the Victorian side of the border with NSW. He played junior footy in Rennie which is slightly the other side of the border.

Given that, I doubt playing in Sydney has much pull factor in terms of being nearer to home (unless he has family in Sydney).

I rate Howe, personally, but would be curious to hear where we would be envisioning playing him. Maybe it's an (almost) reverse-Dawson and he's homesick because of Covid and wants to return to NSW.

Presumably as a tagger, as we don't have one without Hewett. (Unless you count Clarke who is lucky to even be on the list.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back