List Mgmt. 2022 AFL Draft & Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Posters bemoan our poor kicking, then want kids that are poor kicks

Think the club/Austin will focus on better users
While true, having a designated inside 50 scoring option who's a poor/average kick is entirely different to having an outside runner who's a bad kick. If Humphrey is getting 4 shots at goal and missing 2 that's still 2 goals a game output from him, but more importantly it will result in 0 turnovers in dangerous areas of the ground. Having poor kicks further afield is where it becomes a liability for the team.

To me Humphrey is like a less polished Degoey when he started. If we bring in a goal kicking coach for Harry and Charlie this off season I'd back them to fix Humphrey's issues around goal over a few seasons as his ball drop and action aren't that far off. he's not at Casboult levels of kicking skills. His decision making when he is further afield is a bit of a concern but that's all down to good coaching to fix that and he'd have the luxury of having 2 options he basically can't go wrong kicking to in Harry and Charlie.

While true, having a designated inside 50 scoring option who's a poor/average kick is entirely different to having an outside runner who's a bad kick. If Humphrey is getting 4 shots at goal and missing 2 that's still 2 goals a game output from him, but more importantly it will result in 0 turnovers in dangerous areas of the ground. Having poor kicks further afield is where it becomes a liability for the team.

To me Humphrey is like a less polished Degoey when he started. If we bring in a goal kicking coach for Harry and Charlie this off season I'd back them to fix Humphrey's issues around goal over a few seasons as his ball drop and action aren't that far off. he's not at Casboult levels of kicking skills. His decision making when he is further afield is a bit of a concern but that's all down to good coaching to fix that and he'd have the luxury of having 2 options he basically can't go wrong kicking to in Harry and Charlie.
I tend to agree with this, Humphrey's kicking style is reasonable, with some decent coaching, probably some improved control at the ball drop may make a significant difference, as some have mentioned Dangerfield had some kicking issues in his early days possibly partly why he went a little later at pick 10.

I think Humphrey's kicking could be improved slightly, but will always be poor. I see him more of a Dangerfield type, and even the Cats used him less as a forward this year, opting for better finishers

I would be surprised if we selected him if he was still on the board

Fair enough call from Chief, the guy is branching out into investment "advice" and was linking a few dodgy things. Then Knightmare went into a rant about how great he was for BF and completely ignoring that he pretty much built his career off the back of BF. It will be interesting to see his traffic flow since he left. The rookie central guys would be loving being the main source of draft information now.
Yes all true, still a shame as I quite admired the amount of work and interaction Knightmare provided. Had some shocking takes on draftees but always went out of his way to discuss them in depth and provide context.

Fun fact, he actually rated Blake Acres the best player in his draft at the time... So I guess we're getting a gun! :p

I think Humphrey's kicking could be improved slightly, but will always be poor. I see him more of a Dangerfield type, and even the Cats used him less as a forward this year, opting for better finishers

I don't see we are looking the finished product with Humphrey, l guess clubs will make further assessments over the next 6 weeks before they finalise their short lists, l still believe Busslinger would be a good option and if we could trade up Phillipou.

I feel we already have Motlop & Durdin who have significant upside, l am not convinced on Hotton being the right option for us.

I don't disagree in that he likely will always be an ordinary kick... However if developed well he still has enormous talent. Fyfe Cripps and Danger have all been known as poor kicks but still found their place in the AFL system due to their other physical gifts.

In saying that, Danger did also kick 45 goals in a season playing as a mid forward and in my opinion Humphrey has more natural forward craft than Danger at the same age with similar contested marking and explosiveness off the mark.

I think in the end it it could come down to when else are we going to get a chance at one of these physical specimens that can play as a genuine 3rd option inside 50 while also showing natural ability to play on ball? If we improve next season as we all expect to our draft picks will continue falling further down the first round and we'll have less and less chance to pick up one of these unpolished talents. A quality wing and a hard running half forward such as Hotton, they generally are available in the latter half of the first round most years. Players like Humphrey very rarely go outside the top 10, especially if they don't have an Achilles heel at that age. More likely to be top 3 in that case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes all true, still a shame as I quite admired the amount of work and interaction Knightmare provided. Had some shocking takes on draftees but always went out of his way to discuss them in depth and provide context.

Fun fact, he actually rated Blake Acres the best player in his draft at the time... So I guess we're getting a gun! :p
It is a shame, I do enjoy a different perspective.

Exactly right, a player innately kicks well or he doesn't,its a skill that can be improved but habitual flaws remain.

I don't see we are looking the finished product with Humphrey, l guess clubs will make further assessments over the next 6 weeks before they finalise their short lists, l still believe Busslinger would be a good option and if we could trade up Phillipou.

I feel we already have Motlop & Durdin who have significant upside, l am not convinced on Hotton being the right option for us.

I would be astounded if he gets past West Coast's pick 2. WA boy. Cant see why they wouldn't select him.

If he kicks as badly as this guy when he kicked 45 goals playing as a midfielder fwd... I'LL TAKE HIM!

The problem is that there are 20 'kicks like Dangerfield' for every player as good as Dangerfield...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back