Training 2022 Training Reports and General Club Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Been drinking so I have expressed myself badly. Riewolt is a good player. But during his premiership years he was not really the kick 80 goals a year type. He was part of a all round good forward line. He averaged about 40 goals a season during 2017, 2019 and 2020 premiership run.
Yeah, 2019/2020 he had lower years (suppose thats what happens when you then share the forwardline with another key forward, its split).

2017 he kicked 54. But he did kick 70 in a year where they reached the prelim -- we just happened to stop them in their tracks lol But nevertheless, even in his non flag years, to have accumilated 50-70 goals per season is a pretty good achievement.
According to this

Yeah.. we always talk about not having a top talent key forward. We never had the pick for it (bar the stevo/naughton -- who wasnt a key forward at the time) but we have the opportunity to get one now. And sometimes these top end key forwards are ready to play right away.
The '90 season should be a strong lesson in that regard - superb player that he was Gav was certainly not a KPF - let alone full forward.

The dopers simply couldn't cope with our highly mobile marking forwards.

My bad I thought Lynch was a 2020 recruit. Riewolt is a good player but not really a superstar forward imo.
Without Reiwoldt setting their forward line up in 2017 dont think they win the flag. Reinvented his whole game to allow the small forwards.to thrive. Did a massive amount of competing as a.solo big forward. His finest hour and still kicks goals. Without him their game plan fails. Averaged 60 goals season for 8 years. Best modern ff after Buddy

Without Reiwoldt setting their forward line up in 2017 dont think they win the flag. Reinvented his whole game to allow the small forwards.to thrive. Did a massive amount of competing as a.solo big forward. His finest hour and still kicks goals. Without him their game plan fails. Averaged 60 goals season for 8 years. Best modern ff after Buddy
Given the comparative quality of sides the two have played in over the past 15 years and the style of game plans i think the key driver behind Buddy being regarded as the better of the two (goal tally) is a bit of a misnomer. Buddy’s never sacrificed his own game for the betterment of the team whereas Reiwoldt has been doing it for the better part of a decade. I agree Buddy is the superior player, but the difference is less than most think, IMO. If we could wind back the clock to select Reiwoldt over Brown I think we’d have banked an extra 3 premierships…

I’m actually curious as to who the mob rates as the better Reiwoldt? Their numbers are remarkably similar over the journey with the obvious difference being that as a FF Jack kicks more goals and as a CHF Nick took more marks.

Last edited:
Given the comparative quality of sides the two have played in over the past 15 years and the style of game plans i think the key driver behind Buddy being regarded as the better of the two (goal tally) is a bit of a misnomer. Buddy’s never sacrificed his own game for the betterment of the team whereas Reiwoldt has been doing it for the better part of a decade. I agree Buddy is the superior player, but the difference is less than most think, IMO. If we could wind back the clock to select Reiwoldt over Brown I think we’d have banked an extra 3 premierships…

I’m actually curious as to who the mob rates as the better Reiwoldt? Their numbers are remarkably similar over the journey with the obvious difference being that as a FF Jack kicks more goals and as a CHF Nick took more marks.
My opinion Jack the superior footballer - Nick the superior athlete - not by much either way as both were top shelf.

Been drinking so I have expressed myself badly. Riewolt is a good player. But during his premiership years he was not really the kick 80 goals a year type. He was part of a all round good forward line. He averaged about 40 goals a season during 2017, 2019 and 2020 premiership run.

He sacrificed his goals/possessions for the team and as a result the team performed exceptionally in that period.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hate Jack because he played for Clarence down here in Tassie and I personally despise Clarence. Entirely a regional thing.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Without Reiwoldt setting their forward line up in 2017 dont think they win the flag. Averaged 60 goals season for 8 years. Best modern ff after Buddy
There was a whole decade where each year some young guy would have a great year and kick 50 and everyone would rate him higher than Riewoldt. Then the next year that bloke would come back to earth, meanwhile Jack would kick his 50-70 every year.

Further to my thanks to Jen et al, I had a little snoop through the other clubs' boards to see how they compared with what we have. I only looked a two thirds of them, but within that sample, they had nothing like the frequency of reports, depth of comment and consistent clarity that we get. It only makes me more grateful to those dedicated contributors.
Here at Port we are not even allowed into practice!

Here at Port we are not even allowed into practice!
A few clubs probably like that with closed training grounds. We're just lucky olympic park is open and they can't actually stop you. But places like Carlton/Geelong could given the closed stadiums. RSEA park? I think people would be able to go. But North have an open ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you’re blinded by this word. Steele remains a best 22 player at AFL level despite his drop in form since 2018-19. The key difference is that he was once a driver of success whereas now he’s a solid foot soldier with the expectation of a star because of the contract he signed post 2018.

Unfortunately it seems a couple of posters don’t understand what a league standard best 22 quality player is. Take Cameron he is if not a league best ruck forward he’s certainly top drawer, but the problem is we need a forward ruck so he’s not quite the right fit for us whereas at a club like Geelong he’d be super important as a foil to Cameron and Hawkins or at the Dogs supporting Bruce (when fit). This can be addressed by us finding a quality KPF like McKay.
Yet people complain why our forwards are not given supply and delivery of the standard to put scoreboard pressure on. Steele is the Pied Piper leading this sh!t show , his dinky little look at me cute kicks which rarely hit a target , or benefit his teammates up forward. Bye Steele. Thanks for your services

Yet people complain why our forwards are not given supply and delivery of the standard to put scoreboard pressure on. Steele is the Pied Piper leading this sh!t show , his dinky little look at me cute kicks which rarely hit a target , or benefit his teammates up forward. Bye Steele. Thanks for your services
I thought Steel was cooked last year. But with new systems and coaches in place it will be interesting to see if blokes like him and others who haven't yet made the step up will go...

I thought Steel was cooked last year. But with new systems and coaches in place it will be interesting to see if blokes like him and others who haven't yet made the step up will go...
If he is to offer something, it is up forward , is one of the best at reading the ball off the hands of marking contests and he times the run perfectly , this is where I believe he can offer us something, as a clever small forward creating havoc , he is not effective as a mid anymore , that gig was over in 2019

Question mark on mihocek if he has to play against the oppositions best defender every week… yes. He is a third tall forward in a good side, not a first
Question marks, the guy toils hard no matter the opponent. If he’s given opportunities he will kick goals.

You're welcome. This is what brings me joy to know what I do helps others.

I had to lock my twitter account last night, as while I'm a pretty chilled person in general and don't let things affect me, but I don't need trolls abusing me for something I do for enjoyment.
What a joke, don’t worry. Their comments are a reflection on themselves.

Very, very good player Nick.

Question marks, the guy toils hard no matter the opponent. If he’s given opportunities he will kick goals.
Checkers is a rare gem , pure old fashioned style footballer who makes the most of his talents in the modern game , he is damn fine player , imagine how much better he would be if he had half decent delivery to himself and fellow forwards such as Elliott , DeGoey, and now Henry , we would be talking about been a chance of making Finals. Hopefully McCrae & co can get the connectivity in synch with Brodie and the mids , and they in turn deliver the ball more quickly and effective in transits to leading forwards

Can anybody at training comment on who’s been taking kick ins? Seems to have rotated between Darcy, Howe and Maynard over the last couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anybody at training comment on who’s been taking kick ins? Seems to have rotated between Darcy, Howe and Maynard over the last couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good question. I tend to focus on the midfield and who is training where lol I'll see if I can find out on some footage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back