Prediction 2023 Best 22 Teams and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watching some replays of games from this season online, and I got to say, the more I watch, the more I notice that Brennan Cox was so huge is so many key moments. The 1%ers he provided with invaluable and timely taps saved us, and provided key drive in so many instances, a very smart player.
I always rated him highly, but I must admit I underrated him, and he has really stood out in what I have seen now looking back.
Agreed he’s one of the key set play options from the kick ins now. Very reliable marking option to kick to around the 50m arc to relieve defensive pressure.

Agreed he’s one of the key set play options from the kick ins now. Very reliable marking option to kick to around the 50m arc to relieve defensive pressure.
Hell no. Ryan to Cox so frequently on the 50 arc was all too predictable and teams were set up for it by the second half of the season. (It worked in the first half) Getting the ball out of defence after a point was one of our biggest problems last year. I'm hoping the coaching staff are onto it this year.

You're both right. Cox is an extremely reliable marking option and, our kick-ins became way too predictable. This year, having Cox, Darcy and Jackson all as options long will be hard to match up on if they set up correctly.

You're both right. Cox is an extremely reliable marking option and, our kick-ins became way too predictable. This year, having Cox, Darcy and Jackson all as options long will be hard to match up on if they set up correctly.
Plus we have one of the fastest and most aggressive half back lines in the solar system, including some with excellent kicking skills.

Don't think the kick-ins are intentionally predictable, just that Cox is often the one who gets a mismatch. Pearce makes himself available as a kick in option as well and sometimes we go to him. Sometimes the moves are covered by the opposition and you just have to go to go long and safe to the best contest.

Hell no. Ryan to Cox so frequently on the 50 arc was all too predictable and teams were set up for it by the second half of the season. (It worked in the first half) Getting the ball out of defence after a point was one of our biggest problems last year. I'm hoping the coaching staff are onto it this year.

Didn’t think Ryan went to Cox all that much tbh. He certainly went to him more than every other player but 60+% of his kick outs seemed to be 60m bombs aimed at no one particular.

Unless that changes Luke Ryan should never take a kick out ever again.

Ryan is a very good player overall but he’s the most overrated kick in our team, maybe the competition. He’s not highly skilled. He’s marginally more skilled than the average AFL player at best, with decision making that constantly resorts to ‘bomb it long to contests Freo won’t win’.

If we see the same old forward line just with Jackson replacing lobb we will not improve in 2023. Don’t want to see any 2023 lineups with the same old story. Look forward to seeing best 22s with something different up forward 👌
It will be Taberner + Amiss and Jackson for talls until the injuries start occurring; then we might see some Corbett, Sturt or Treacy. Don't underestimate how much an Amiss with a preseason and support will make us more effective.

Bringing in O'Meara and Fyfe back I think will increase the number of goals from the midfield as well as the connection.

It will be Taberner + Amiss and Jackson for talls until the injuries start occurring; then we might see some Corbett, Sturt or Treacy. Don't underestimate how much an Amiss with a preseason and support will make us more effective.

Bringing in O'Meara and Fyfe back I think will increase the number of goals from the midfield as well as the connection.
Well going by history how many games will Tabs play before injury?
With Corbett as a medium tall, do we drop Banfield?
If anything we have the option of playing taller. Amiss, Treacy, as the 3rd tall
Would be a massive mis-match for most teams.
Sonny can stay at their feet with Shultz, Freddy, but where does it leave
Switta?
We could have the best bench in our history, and if the rotations move to 5
even scarier.
Only weakness I can see is a wing position, Pearce integral, and how long can
Walters play?

Ryan Pearce walker
Young cox Clarke
Noddy Omeara aish.
Treacy Amiss. Walters.
Jackson tabs. Switta.

Darcy serong brayshaw

Freddy, Fyfe, Chappy, Brodie, Erasmus.

I reckon they will play 5 on the bench this year. Treacy, Corbett, Sturt competing for the third tall position. Shultz, Switta, Walters competing for the 2x small forward positions.

Last edited:
If we see the same old forward line just with Jackson replacing lobb we will not improve in 2023. Don’t want to see any 2023 lineups with the same old story. Look forward to seeing best 22s with something different up forward 👌
Definitely want to see a medium in either Sturt or Corbett putting a compelling case for inclusion.

And I really think we should put a lot of work into both Amiss and Treacy throughout the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely want to see a medium in either Sturt or Corbett putting a compelling case for inclusion.

And I really think we should put a lot of work into both Amiss and Treacy throughout the year.
Treacy will get games. History says Tabs will be injured 25%+ of the season and there is no one else.

Ryan Pearce Chapman
Young cox Clarke
Noddy Brayshaw Aish.
Freddy Treacy Fyfe.
Jackson Tabs Switta.

Darcy Serong Brodie

Walker, Schulz, O'Meara, Erasmus/Johnson

Like the post Gav.
I am a believer that Sturt will have a better than average season.
I think he has been unlucky so far with injury and sickness.
Towards the end of last season at Peel he was looking and playing like the footballer we were expecting.
I think his body has matured to the extent that he is ready for the big time. Body and mind in the right place.
We need big things from Treacy up forward .We need his hard body and attack on the ball to change the way we play up forward.

Treacy will get games. History says Tabs will be injured 25%+ of the season and there is no one else.

I would say Corbett is also backup for when Tabs is inevitably injured. I don't consider Corbett a medium, more of a short KPF (which might actually work if playing Amiss and one of Jackson/Darcy forward). He runs in straight lines and doesn't have great speed/agility (but probably better than Treacy and Taberner in that department).

Like the post Gav.
I am a believer that Sturt will have a better than average season.
I think he has been unlucky so far with injury and sickness.
Towards the end of last season at Peel he was looking and playing like the footballer we were expecting.
I think his body has matured to the extent that he is ready for the big time. Body and mind in the right place.
We need big things from Treacy up forward .We need his hard body and attack on the ball to change the way we play up forward.
Cheers mate.

I think I hold a minority opinion here, but I think we should be training Treacy to be capable of pinch hitting in defence. It would be deflating to lose him due to lack of opportunity.

And without having seen him play, Corbett seems to have the fitness and capacity to play time between the arcs for periods of time.

The club's timing is slightly complex right now. We were finalists and did ok. We lost some depth and brought in some players who have strategic impact, and we have emerging players who need opportunity, but will be under pressure to perform.

Collectively it adds up to the best scenario a coach could ask for.

Cheers mate.

I think I hold a minority opinion here, but I think we should be training Treacy to be capable of pinch hitting in defence. It would be deflating to lose him due to lack of opportunity.

And without having seen him play, Corbett seems to have the fitness and capacity to play time between the arcs for periods of time.

The club's timing is slightly complex right now. We were finalists and did ok. We lost some depth and brought in some players who have strategic impact, and we have emerging players who need opportunity, but will be under pressure to perform.

Collectively it adds up to the best scenario a coach could ask for.
I have to say that I was initially disappointed to have lost what we did, but have since moved on with the thought that other than Griff, we have lost nothing, He still would have been an asset to us, but he needed to get a bigger chance.
Losing Lobb means nothing, he was always going to go. Yep may still have been handy, but I think he would have had his mind elsewhere.
It will be interesting with Corbitt coming in. Can't say I have heard much of him, but he obviously, like Brodie, has the ability, but lacked chances previous.
Yet another string to our forward line.
Interesting to see just who we pick tomorrow night.
I have to say that the thought of recruiting Naismith is interesting. He has a load of talent and given another chance, he may just be the back up we need.
Any thoughts on McQuilken and Pearson from Souths. Two proven backmen at WAFL level. McQuilken has had a taste at the other mob and Pearson is a 100 gamer now who has proven his game skills and awareness.

I would say Corbett is also backup for when Tabs is inevitably injured. I don't consider Corbett a medium, more of a short KPF (which might actually work if playing Amiss and one of Jackson/Darcy forward). He runs in straight lines and doesn't have great speed/agility (but probably better than Treacy and Taberner in that department).
Corbett is too small to play no1. It would be like when we had Cam and Kersten doing it, i.e. terrible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back