Position 2023 Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm seeing that all things being equal ....the GIANTS want to play Himmelberg in DEF

Having spent the first few weeks living with GIANTS co-captain Toby Greene, Cadman has already made quite an impression on his new teammates and coaches.

“I’d like to think so,” Montgomery responded to SEN’s Dwayne Russell earlier this week when asked if Cadman would play early in the season.

He certainly hasn’t put a foot wrong so far. He's only a slight build, incredibly athletic, he gets across the ground really well, so I don’t see why not.

“Obviously we’ll have the dilemma with Harry Himmelberg who’s a pivotal piece for us and whether he plays forward or back, at the moment he’s spending his time at the forward just to make sure that we’ve got some insurance if Aaron isn’t ready to go early in the season.

“But we’re really excited, really hopeful that he’ll play some meaningful football early.”

It’s the question that all GIANTS fans have been asking - where will Harry Himmelberg be playing this season? And the answer seems yet to be confirmed.

When asked if Himmelberg could slot back into defence to accommodate Cadman, Montgomery was all praise for the versatile GIANT

“Potentially. If we get Jesse Hogan up and running and fully fit and at the top of his game, and Jake Riccardi comes on like we believe he can, then that conversation will definitely need to be had,” he replied.

“I see Harry as one of these types that could potentially be an All-Australian centre half-back, and at the moment he’s running around the forward line playing roles for us because we need him, that’s where it sits.”

I'm seeing that all things being equal ....the GIANTS want to play Himmelberg in DEF

Having spent the first few weeks living with GIANTS co-captain Toby Greene, Cadman has already made quite an impression on his new teammates and coaches.

“I’d like to think so,” Montgomery responded to SEN’s Dwayne Russell earlier this week when asked if Cadman would play early in the season.

He certainly hasn’t put a foot wrong so far. He's only a slight build, incredibly athletic, he gets across the ground really well, so I don’t see why not.

“Obviously we’ll have the dilemma with Harry Himmelberg who’s a pivotal piece for us and whether he plays forward or back, at the moment he’s spending his time at the forward just to make sure that we’ve got some insurance if Aaron isn’t ready to go early in the season.

“But we’re really excited, really hopeful that he’ll play some meaningful football early.”

It’s the question that all GIANTS fans have been asking - where will Harry Himmelberg be playing this season? And the answer seems yet to be confirmed.

When asked if Himmelberg could slot back into defence to accommodate Cadman, Montgomery was all praise for the versatile GIANT

“Potentially. If we get Jesse Hogan up and running and fully fit and at the top of his game, and Jake Riccardi comes on like we believe he can, then that conversation will definitely need to be had,” he replied.

“I see Harry as one of these types that could potentially be an All-Australian centre half-back, and at the moment he’s running around the forward line playing roles for us because we need him, that’s where it sits.”
Bloody hell. Just traded in Cumming because I thought HH will be played up front. Might need to go back to Young now.

He’ll go forward though at any sign Cadman needs a rest or is out of form.

He’ll go forward though at any sign Cadman needs a rest or is out of form.

It would be really tough to start with him knowing he can go forward at any time. It does open up for Haynes if this does happen who could be a smoky.

what happens when Lizard steals his chips?

tenacious frilled neck lizard GIF
Dont worry about lizards...it was just a fad last year.
Get in some of that glorious cheap gull action.

One concern I have with Daicos is that he seems to need a lot of ball to score 100s. Last year every ton he scored required him to have 30+ possessions. Compare that to Young who scored 5 100s with less than 30 touches.

Now the counter argument is that Daicos is a ball magnet who will have 30+ touches alot. However, it also means, an opposition only have to stop him being prolific to restrict his scoring. I generally like picking players who don't necessarily need to dominate to ton up.

Anyone else considered this? For the record I have Daicos and not Young in my team at the moment.

One concern I have with Daicos is that he seems to need a lot of ball to score 100s. Last year every ton he scored required him to have 30+ possessions. Compare that to Young who scored 5 100s with less than 30 touches.

Now the counter argument is that Daicos is a ball magnet who will have 30+ touches alot. However, it also means, an opposition only have to stop him being prolific to restrict his scoring. I generally like picking players who don't necessarily need to dominate to ton up.

Anyone else considered this? For the record I have Daicos and not Young in my team at the moment.

The thing with Daicos is he has another pre-season behind him and will be going through the middle more. Also even when he was tagged he did find a way to score. I think he will go around 100-102 this year.

Two premo's, two mid-pricers, two rookies might be the go?

Sic-dawg - Dawson - Yeo - Bowes - Goater - Ginbey for example. Avoid that $450-550k area altogether.

Agree, the sub-premo's are not quite so enticing, and it feels risky getting too many $600k+ guys as one bad score and everyone gets them cheap.

This is exactly who I've gone with so far.

I've added Day and McKenna for now to round out the squad.

Well apparently Titch is going SP again too. They can't both get 30+ regularly playing that crazy fast style can they?

Well apparently Titch is going SP again too. They can't both get 30+ regularly playing that crazy fast style can they?

I think if Daicos is going through the midfield he will be handballing less he is a great kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Day? What do you see him averaging? Priced at $362 he probably needs to be a keeper and go 95+

Making the move into the midfield. He's been a good scorer per possession in previous years, so I think he could prove to be value for money. The main issue is his durability IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back