MRP / Trib. 2023 MRP Lotto

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Travis Varcoe reported for a first q. head high bump and duly reported.
Barrett says he should be shown some leniency.

" Just on Match Review matters, I actually hope lenience is applied to Collingwood's Trav Varcoe, who made head-high contact with Saint Ed Phillips.

It would be unfortunate if he was to miss next weekend's Pies-Swans match, where clubs wear indigenous themed guernseys, for his sister-in-law has designed the Collingwood jumper for that occasion.

The guernsey design was influenced by the support Varcoe received after the tragic passing of his sister Maggie in a football match incident last year "

Looks like a week or 2 to me Damien.

" Just on Match Review matters, I actually hope lenience is applied to Collingwood's Trav Varcoe, who made head-high contact with Saint Ed Phillips.

It would be unfortunate if he was to miss next weekend's Pies-Swans match, where clubs wear indigenous themed guernseys, for his sister-in-law has designed the Collingwood jumper for that occasion.

The guernsey design was influenced by the support Varcoe received after the tragic passing of his sister Maggie in a football match incident last year "

Seems to be setting up a lay down misere for the AFL to be pragmatic. We know that they can be if they want to.

Like Durdin, Trav does need to adjust his technique though. Next time both must lead with the elbow and follow up with a clenched fist in the neck region to be certain of not being cited. Going hard at the ball or shepherding as specified in the rules is borderline certainty to invite MRO displeasure.

Seems to be setting up a lay down misere for the AFL to be pragmatic. We know that they can be if they want to.

Like Durdin, Trav does need to adjust his technique though. Next time both must lead with the elbow and follow up with a clenched fist in the neck region to be certain of not being cited. Going hard at the ball or shepherding as specified in the rules is borderline certainty to invite MRO displeasure.

........or win a brownlow.

Hang on. So his argument is that players shouldn't be suspended because of a jumper design... No wonder the AFL is so stuffed - the media idiots are just as bad.

Dale Thomas referred directly to the AFL Tribunal for abusing an umpire. Three more banned - Ivan Soldo, Travis Varcoe and Rhys Mathieson. More @AFLcomau soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hang on. So his argument is that players shouldn't be suspended because of a jumper design... No wonder the AFL is so stuffed - the media idiots are just as bad.
Didn't help Lindsay.

On the other hand, did you see that get-up the iggles were wearing. All 22 deserve a week for wearing that.

Still can't figure out why he didn't double up with a free kick and another goal ! Bet if it was Ablett or Fyfe it would be.
Coz... Sydney.

So, higgo fined for being attacked from behind by some halfwit Irish oaf #38 after the siren. Seems fair. The mug was a Sydney player.

Whacks to the throat obviously don't matter either. If you play for Sydney.

Not great. I can see why this got the response it did. I have pretty strong views on how players should talk to umpires and questioning their integrity on the field isn't on (FWIW I do not feel the same about supporters doing so and I also have some pretty strong views on how they should talk to players - which doesn't include a lot of the patronising stuff they say).

I'm kind of impressed that someone who has played for a horrific Carlton team for so long can actually get fired up about the game still. Good for him.

So Hocking before the season started saying the AFL will be cracking down on cheap punches and head high contact.
I’m glad they stuck to their work.
What a joke they are. It’s not what you know but who you are.
They are a laughing stock

I find it amazing that there is uproar about the odd punch to the gut as if it is the worst thing going around but leading with your elbow into a players head or pushing a player head first towards a goal post doesn't have any result unless it goes wrong. Make no mistake, a few inches either way on the weekend for either of these incidents (or indeed Ablett / Fyfe) and there would be players going straight to the tribunal. Personally, I can live without cheap, head high hits that have the potential to go horrifically wrong with a minor twitch of either player. I'm less fussed about a bit of punch and niggle in the contest.

Not great. I can see why this got the response it did. I have pretty strong views on how players should talk to umpires and questioning their integrity on the field isn't on (FWIW I do not feel the same about supporters doing so and I also have some pretty strong views on how they should talk to players - which doesn't include a lot of the patronising stuff they say).

I'm kind of impressed that someone who has played for a horrific Carlton team for so long can actually get fired up about the game still. Good for him.
What about how Razor spoke to Pittard in first few minutes???

What about how Razor spoke to Pittard in first few minutes???

Absolutely. The AFL and umpiring department are their own worst enemy at times. They should be professional in the way they talk to players at all times on field IMO. They are that sh*thead teacher at school that was a smartarse to everyone and then demanded respect from the students - it doesn't work that way in the real world.

So you don’t mind seeing players utensil the elbow?

I don't think he lined him up. Jack came into his space quite late and it looked to me like he braced for contact, albeit clumsily. I didn't think it was worth a suspension personally.

FFS, this sport gets sillier by the hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back