Preview 2023 Rd 1 - GWS Giants v Adelaide Crows, 1.10 pm Sunday 19 March @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The GIANTS kick start their 2023 season under new coach Adam Kingsley against the Crows at GIANTS Stadium on Sunday.

MATCH DETAILS

GIANTS v Crows
Sunday, March 19 at 1:10pm
Wangal Country | GIANTS Stadium

Gates open at 12:10pm

MEMBERSHIP AND TICKETING

General Public Tickets

GIANTS fans who wish to get tickets to Sunday's match can purchase directly through Ticketmaster, click here to secure your seats now.

Don’t forget kids go free in '23*! That's right, kids aged 15 and under go free with a ticket to every GIANTS home game in 2023, when accompanied by a paying adult. Plus, we've frozen ticket prices for the third consecutive year, so adult tickets start at just $25!

*Visit gwsgiants.info/tcs for full terms and conditions.

Members Access

If you're a member, getting into the game is easy!

If you have a physical members card, simply have this ready for scanning on arrival at GIANTS Stadium. If you hold a digital ticket, download the GIANTS App and select 'My Tickets' in the menu at bottom on your screen! Then select ‘Rd 1: GWS GIANTS v Adelaide Crows’. From here you'll be able to save your ticket to your wallet.

For more instructions on mobile ticketing, or if you need any assistance, visit the online Members Hub or our membership team outside the main gate at GIANTS Stadium.

If you’re not a member already - Be bigger in orange in 2023 by becoming one! Perks are bigger in orange, game day is bigger in orange and footy is bigger in orange in 2023. Being a GIANTS member is so much more than just entry to the game.

Jump on board and join the big big sound to get the most out of your footy experience! Join now.

Member of the Match

The GIANTS are rewarding a lucky member each week for simply coming to the game!

Keep an eye on the big screen for the announcement of our Member of the Match and to find out how to collect your prize.

Members Bar

The Members Bar is back in 2023, located on the concourse within the Members Stand. All members can access this space both pre-game and during the match. Members receive 10 per cent off selected food and drink in the Members Bar.

GAME DAY ACTIVITIES

Sneaky Sound System

Get the party started with Sneaky Sound System performing at GIANTS Stadium pre-match and during half-time!

Activations

Visit the Harvey Norman team chill out zone in the precinct and join in all of the fun and games with table tennis, GIANT Connect 4 and giveaways!

Quarter-Time

Dare to be Loud with Harvey Norman and JBL! Get up on your feet during the quarter-time break and show off your best dance moves during Harvey Norman Dance Cam for your chance to win a $100 Harvey Norman Gift Card!

Fan Zone

• The GIANTS Fan Zone is back in action throughout the season and will be filled with loads of fun and FREE activities for all ages!
  • We’ve got the GIANTS Big Kick and Netball inflatables - test your kicking and netball skills at our GIANTS inflatables.
  • We’ve also got face painting and airbrush tattoos available for free in the Fan Zone so make sure you deck yourself out in as much orange as possible to support your GIANTS.

$2 Hot Chips

Feed the family and enjoy a footy favourite with $2 hot chips all season long! (While stock lasts, limit of two per transaction, visit gwsgiants.info/tcs for full terms and conditions)

GETTING TO GIANTS STADIUM

Trains run regularly to Olympic Park and the Stadium is a short walk from the station.

You'll need to use an Opal card or contactless payment card/device. Register your details online at Opal or via the app ahead of time.

Plan your trip here.

If you’re driving, consider pre-booking your parking online, available until 11:59pm the night before the game. The best parking for GIANTS Stadium is the P1 and P6 car parks.

POST-MATCH FUNCTION

Following our clash against the Crows, we’re inviting you to come back to the home of the GIANTS, the VALO Community Centre, to meet the players and visit the GIANTS Shop!

MERCHANDISE

The GIANTS Shop at GIANTS Stadium is located inside Gate D. Member discounts and GIANTS Shop vouchers can be redeemed at outlets at the Stadium or at the GIANTS Shop at the VALO Community Centre.

MOST VALUABLE GIANT, PRESENTED BY TOYO TIRES

Vote for your Most Valuable GIANT! After our game on Sunday, GIANTS fans will be able to vote for their most valuable player in a 3, 2, 1 voting style. Vote via our Instagram story or on the GIANTS app - Click here to download it now. The overall winner of the Most Valuable GIANT - as chosen by you - will be awarded the trophy at this year’s Kevin Sheedy Medal.

TEAM SELECTION

The GIANTS will name a 26-man squad at 6:20pm on Thursday before naming the final team at 5pm on Friday at gwsgiants.com.au.

Last edited:
Crows supporters seem pretty confident about a win.
They should feel optimistic about the season.
A good midfield and defence. Potentially a great forward line.
They moved the ball well and looked organised in the practice games.
We've only had a small sample of what to expect. If we bring more of that, we've got every chance.

We're currently where the Crows were about 12 months ago imo, they should win but not in a dominating fashion. If we can maintain the style of football we delivered against Gold Coast for all 4 quarters in a competitive match that's a win regardless of the result

We're currently where the Crows were about 12 months ago imo, they should win but not in a dominating fashion. If we can maintain the style of football we delivered against Gold Coast for all 4 quarters in a competitive match that's a win regardless of the result
Disagree.
They don't have anywhere near the top end talent we have.

Disagree.
They don't have anywhere near the top end talent we have.
Different types of talent, they're nowhere near as classy but the likes of Laird, Keays, Tex, Doedee are up there, not quite the same level, but we're in the same boat of having a new wave of youngsters coming in to hopefully start to take more responsibility

I got an offer to redeem upto 4 free tickets? With face paintings and giveaways at the ground, it is a great opportunity to introduce families to the team and game. Our strategy seems to be to maximise attendance from the very start, given the poor crowds at Giants stadium last year.
COVID killed our casual attendances - before COVID you used to see a bunch of people just there for a day out, something different, because they'd gotten cheap or free tickets. After it, it was just the members and die hards because everyone was doing mental calculation on whether it was worth it or not. My wife didn't attend a game at all last year in part because of that. So now that concern is dying down (or completely died down), it's the perfect time to start up these promos again to try and get the casual attendees back and our crowd numbers up.

Crows supporters seem pretty confident about a win.
sorry for the intrusion, but this is wrong I think. You guys have towelled us up the last few times we have played and with your new coach and how your side played last week, we are going to have to be right on our game to make it a good contest

Where we are more bullish is that we can see more young quality in the side and Rankine could be anything but if somehow we get the win, it will have been hard earned as I see your side making a big spike up the ladder this year

sorry for the intrusion, but this is wrong I think. You guys have towelled us up the last few times we have played and with your new coach and how your side played last week, we are going to have to be right on our game to make it a good contest

Where we are more bullish is that we can see more young quality in the side and Rankine could be anything but if somehow we get the win, it will have been hard earned as I see your side making a big spike up the ladder this year
I was going to say that it's probably home vs away in terms of who wins what, but looking at the history we've played 8 of the last 9 at Adelaide Oval! :O

Four of the last six have been wins, it's just that the two losses were us being absolutely putrid and Betts' embarrassing GOTY in a patented last quarter meltdown the year prior so I at least have got that burned in my brain a lot more than the two recent easy wins.

I was going to say that it's probably home vs away in terms of who wins what, but looking at the history we've played 8 of the last 9 at Adelaide Oval! :O

Four of the last six have been wins, it's just that the two losses were us being absolutely putrid and Betts' embarrassing GOTY in a patented last quarter meltdown the year prior so I at least have got that burned in my brain a lot more than the two recent easy wins.
All I will say is that I am bullish that we will be very competitive, but if I was a betting man and I am generally not, it would be on GWS and i'd throw a bet on them to be in the 8 come seasons end too..just how I see it. So much class in that side and a new coach with a proper game plan...watch out comp

Rankine and Rachelle has the potential to be very exciting to watch (hopefully not this week)

All I will say is that I am bullish that we will be very competitive, but if I was a betting man and I am generally not, it would be on GWS and i'd throw a bet on them to be in the 8 come seasons end too..just how I see it. So much class in that side and a new coach with a proper game plan...watch out comp
I like what you're selling.... Sign me up!

Give me a serving of Himmel on Himmel to go with it, and I'll be a happy man.

the predicted 23 - I think it’s about right and is a strong team that should beat Adelaide

GWS​

GWS's predicted 23 vs Adelaide​

Full BackIsaac CummingSam TaylorConnor Idun
Half BackLachlan AshNick HaynesLachie Whitfield
CentreJosh KellyStephen ConiglioFinn Callaghan
Half ForwardToby Greene (c)Jesse HoganJames Peatling
Full ForwardJake RiccardiHarry HimmelbergDaniel Lloyd
FollowersBraydon PreussTom GreenCallan Ward
InterchangeHarry PerrymanMatt FlynnJacob Wehr
Adam Kennedy
SubstituteXavier O'Halloran

Yeh like mamy have said a 7th defender is required

Will be a Fahey, Buckley (if ready) or Aleer for a ruck. My moneys actually is on Fahey to debut.

Think Idun on Fogarty and Haynes on Tex is probably ok or vice versa

Then i think its a chance it could be XOH over Kennedy aswell, pending where they want to actually play Ward

Daniels obviousily a chance but not sure they take the risk

I do wonder if GWS consider a Flynn as sub, move Preuss forward more in the 2nd half, Flynn fresh legs ruck and HH goes back. Would allow more confidence in the Idun, Taylor, Haynes as the 3 talls

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to pick the winner and with both teams having wins in the pre-season and looking good in the process I am more pessimistic than others on this board and if you look at the different thirds of the ground

Forwards Crows
Mids Giants
Defenders Giants
Ruck Crows

So it will be up to the Giants mids to win the ball and make it hard for the Crows to get clean entrys or Tex and Fogarty will win the game for the Crows

For the team I dont think the club should risk Daniels with his injury history i would like to see him have a half-full game in a reserves pre season hit out. i am going with Kennedy for a consistent season and not that he will be a star but if he plays his role well the team will be much better for it

This is my Best 22 from earlier

Idun Taylor Haynes
Cumming
Buckley Kennedy
Whitfield Kelly Callaghan
Greene HH
Lloyd
Bedford Hogan Daniels
Preuss Coniglio Green
Perryman Ward Ash
Flynn Stone

A few positional changes but at this is my 22 for next Sunday
Back 6 is locked in and I think Aleer as the 7th defender/3rd tall, Idun I think will play on a tall with my pick the Crows to play Tex/Fogarty/Elliot H
Wehr to the bench to fill Wing/rotate back or forward if needed
Ward to slot in mid/fwd depending on need/game situation/Similar role to Kennedy I just put Ward on the bench
Riccardi 3rd Tall fwd and along with HH will back up ruck
Stone to be sub/Peatling an option
Would look better with Daniels and Bedford on the field so hopefully later in the season they get a run of games in the same team
Fahey would be close but just dont see how he gets a game unless 1 of Ash/Whitfield plays mid although I actually think he needs more game time in the reserves as he didnt really dominate games before his injury last year

Idun Taylor Cumming
Whitfield
Haynes Ash
Kelly Perryman Callaghan
Greene HH
Kennedy
Lloyd Hogan Peatling
Preuss Coniglio Green
Ward
Wehr Riccardi Aleer Stone

I like Aleers development so far. One thing I’d like to see improve is his ability to stay on his feet… I feel he loses his feet too often and is then out of the play/contest.

Hard to pick the winner and with both teams having wins in the pre-season and looking good in the process I am more pessimistic than others on this board and if you look at the different thirds of the ground

Forwards Crows
Mids Giants
Defenders Giants
Ruck Crows

So it will be up to the Giants mids to win the ball and make it hard for the Crows to get clean entrys or Tex and Fogarty will win the game for the Crows

For the team I dont think the club should risk Daniels with his injury history i would like to see him have a half-full game in a reserves pre season hit out. i am going with Kennedy for a consistent season and not that he will be a star but if he plays his role well the team will be much better for it

This is my Best 22 from earlier

Idun Taylor Haynes
Cumming
Buckley Kennedy
Whitfield Kelly Callaghan
Greene HH
Lloyd
Bedford Hogan Daniels
Preuss Coniglio Green
Perryman Ward Ash
Flynn Stone

A few positional changes but at this is my 22 for next Sunday
Back 6 is locked in and I think Aleer as the 7th defender/3rd tall, Idun I think will play on a tall with my pick the Crows to play Tex/Fogarty/Elliot H
Wehr to the bench to fill Wing/rotate back or forward if needed
Ward to slot in mid/fwd depending on need/game situation/Similar role to Kennedy I just put Ward on the bench
Riccardi 3rd Tall fwd and along with HH will back up ruck
Stone to be sub/Peatling an option
Would look better with Daniels and Bedford on the field so hopefully later in the season they get a run of games in the same team
Fahey would be close but just dont see how he gets a game unless 1 of Ash/Whitfield plays mid although I actually think he needs more game time in the reserves as he didnt really dominate games before his injury last year

Idun Taylor Cumming
Whitfield
Haynes Ash
Kelly Perryman Callaghan
Greene HH
Kennedy
Lloyd Hogan Peatling
Preuss Coniglio Green
Ward
Wehr Riccardi Aleer Stone
Having the advantage in the ruck certainly doesn't carry the same weight has having in advantage in other areas of the ground, plus it's also not that simple to just say X team wins backline and midfield and Y team wins forward line, it takes the entire time and how all the players work together as well as how drastically they are better in some areas. I'd say our defence is signigicantly better then theres. Think we beat them pretty easily to be honest, not too worried especially at home.

Having the advantage in the ruck certainly doesn't carry the same weight has having in advantage in other areas of the ground, plus it's also not that simple to just say X team wins backline and midfield and Y team wins forward line, it takes the entire time and how all the players work together as well as how drastically they are better in some areas. I'd say our defence is signigicantly better then theres. Think we beat them pretty easily to be honest, not too worried especially at home.
I do agree that the Giants defence is better than the Crows and you would say the Crows forwards are better than the Giants by a good margin, having fit small forwards helps so i think they cancel each other out in some way although i see the key as the midfield battle and I do think the Giants are better in this part of the ground but the unknown is how many silly frees Preuss is going to give away and although ROB is not the best ruck around he is solid and if he plays well and Preuss has a shocker the Crows could get an advantage. I just think Giants supporters should bot get ahead of themselves after what the club served up last year they have a long road to redemption imo
I do hope the team plays well and gets the win v the Crows with some sign of the orange tsunami and it is possible but the Crows should be up for the contest with some media saying they need to be contesting for finals this year

the predicted 23 - I think it’s about right and is a strong team that should beat Adelaide

GWS​

Adam Kennedy

I hope we get to see Cadman early in the year: and if Kingsley is the coach we want him to be, he will put a LOT of work into issac Rankine

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

GWS​

Adam Kennedy

I hope we get to see Cadman early in the year: and if Kingsley is the coach we want him to be, he will put a LOT of work into issac Rankine

I got an offer to redeem upto 4 free tickets? With face paintings and giveaways at the ground, it is a great opportunity to introduce families to the team and game. Our strategy seems to be to maximise attendance from the very start, given the poor crowds at Giants stadium last year.

Sneaky sound system at the game doing pre match and half time:

I used to enjoy in the early years when they had the live music at the games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back