Preview 2023 Semi Final : Port Adelaide v Greater Western Sydney at Adelaide Oval, 7.10pm ACST (7.40pm AEST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Best wishes. You have a right to be confident, we're cooked. We threw everything into the minor round to get kenny his contract extension. Mission accomplished. You're better balanced than us, have enough class and confidence to win away from home and are in much better form than us, despite the recent result in Adelaide. I obviously hope we can win but Kenny can't get a team up for big finals - we haven't won a knockout final since 2014.

Best wishes. You have a right to be confident, we're cooked. We threw everything into the minor round to get kenny his contract extension. Mission accomplished. You're better balanced than us, have enough class and confidence to win away from home and are in much better form than us, despite the recent result in Adelaide. I obviously hope we can win but Kenny can't get a team up for big finals - we haven't won a knockout final since 2014.
It's going to be a tough game. Port won't roll over coz they lost one final.
The match up last time was tough for us but I reckon we would have learnt a bit about our Mids getting beaten by pace like that. Your mob were ON FIRE that night.
Bedford and Daniels were missing that night and they are ranked #1 and #4 for forward pressure in the league so that should help us big time. Callaghan is also an incredibly fast and classy kick..he's also 6'3.
The Giants will go in underdogs and but I still reckon port will have to play very well to get over the top.
Giants won't give up.

Certainly a better looking team than the last time we played them when Bedford, Daniels and Callaghan were missing. Possibly add XO as well depending on selections. That said, you don't finish 3rd if you're a dud team and they'll come out firing in front of a hostile home crowd. We need to play our best footy to win this one.

For me it’s about how well we stifle rozee and butters out of the middle. They tore us up last time

We gave them way to much space last time which I don’t think we will give them again. Bedford and Daniels coming up around putting pressure on but we will also cause them to chase tail a lot more taking a bit of sting out of them in attack.

Big reason I think XO is a chance to keep his spot over Cumming to increase pressure/speed around stoppages.

Midfield tactics will be very interesting.
Port have been using Drew and Wines as run-with players.
They might try to lock down Green and Kelly and again rely on Butters' and Rozee's speed.

Midfield tactics will be very interesting.
Port have been using Drew and Wines as run-with players.
They might try to lock down Green and Kelly and again rely on Butters' and Rozee's speed.
Locking down green would be tough. I expect someone to run with Kelly as he's been tagged out of a game earlier in the season but good luck doing it twice. Saints gave it whirl.
I agree Butters, JHF and Rozee are the ones that got us last time. Gotta make it a little tougher for them to get some space. Tough task.
Our backs I'd back against pretty much any offense left in the finals. Our forwards are very dependant on how much speed we get on the ball (barr Toby G)

We gave them way to much space last time which I don’t think we will give them again. Bedford and Daniels coming up around putting pressure on but we will also cause them to chase tail a lot more taking a bit of sting out of them in attack.

Big reason I think XO is a chance to keep his spot over Cumming to increase pressure/speed around stoppages.
The fact that they put a lot of points on us last time should help our mindset going into the game - there won't be any complacency knowing that Port can rack up a big score if we're just 5% off our game.

Yeah I can see your thinking. X brings pressure and tackling and cumming brings disposal and kicking

Tough choice

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s always a tendency to overrate the winners & underrate the losers of the first week of finals - but there’s a reason the losers get a second chance - they’ve earned it by being better than the winners over the course of the year.

this is a team that smashed us by 50 a month ago.

that said…

they were coming off a 4 game losing streak having dropped from equal 1st (2nd on %) to 4th - at home with a point to prove, while we were coming of a fairly brutal (& deflating) derby loss and were without Daniels, Bedford & Callaghan.

I don’t know how different their team will be to the one we faced 4 weeks ago (or indeed that ran out last week), but I can say that ours will be better - and our headspace will be better too. Momentum is a big thing in footy.

that said…

they won more games than us, by more points than us and will be playing on their own deck in front of their own crowd.

that said…

we’ve won at all sorts of venues in front of hostile crowds a fair number of times this year

that said…

I have no f#@$*ng clue what’s going to happen

should be a good game though.

Last edited:
Port look like a side who have run out of steam while GWS are just hitting their straps. When questioned about the prospect of facing you guys in his post-match press conference last weekend, he mentioned their win against you towards the end of the H&A rounds & expected the same result. He looked like a desperate man who didn't believe a word of what he had just said.
GWS 25+ @ $5.50 looks juicy.

Port look like a side who have run out of steam while GWS are just hitting their straps. When questioned about the prospect of facing you guys in his post-match press conference last weekend, he mentioned their win against you towards the end of the H&A rounds & expected the same result. He looked like a desperate man who didn't believe a word of what he had just said.
GWS 25+ @ $5.50 looks juicy.

I thought the same when I watched the press conference. Was a really arrogant comment lacking respect for a guy who’s team just got spanked. Bloke is feeling the heat. I’d expect the clip gets a run in team meetings this week

do you think Ken's time at Port comes to an end if they go out in straight sets?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back