Player Watch #35: Nathan Broad

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm hearing a lot of people expecting Broady to be most at risk in our 22, but i think he'll only get better. If teams are going to smaller in the forward line, like Grimesy, Broady can play tall and small. AA 2018
Sounds as though he's killing it on the track. Gotta say I thought at the beginning of 2017 it'd be his last season but he was a real surprise packet. Another example of an above average athlete cementing a position in our team.

Definitely climbed some mountains to get where he is. Wont be giving it up easily. Can't wait to see him after 50 games.

Really liked what I saw in the WAFL, exceptionally fit, composed and dependable in a number of defensive roles. Stoked to see him find a spot in your side last year and even more so with him making a significant contribution through the finals. What really stood out for Richmond at the pointy end was their coherence as a team and collective desperation which were qualities in Broad that were really evident in contributing to at Swan Districts.

Not in any way condoning it, but being of the same age bracket the unfortunate incident played out in the media is not all that uncommon. He cops his deserved whack which hopefully reinforces the message that it's not ok to be sharing that kind of intimacy without consent. In my fairly short experience of having met him and through character references from friends who've played footy with him it's not reflective of his character so I think he will learn from his error and bounce back nicely in 2018.

FWIW he owned it out there in the aflx , was easily our best player , imposed himself on each contest and used the ball well , looks to be playing very confidently

He's in ridiculously good shape too, great athlete

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds as though he's killing it on the track. Gotta say I thought at the beginning of 2017 it'd be his last season but he was a real surprise packet. Another example of an above average athlete cementing a position in our team.

Yep i was similar. I was wrong and think ill end up being very wrong about him.

His, Rance, Grimes and Kmacs ability to play tall and small is a very important part of our defence.

FWIW he owned it out there in the aflx , was easily our best player , imposed himself on each contest and used the ball well , looks to be playing very confidently

Fair to say a few boys will be walking taller this year, even last year the dogs were awful in the first half of the year but won games they looked like losing (like to us) purely because of self belief I reckon. Of course the behind the scenes s**t came to a head mid season

Before he was selected last year for his run of games i posted in a thread where if Jack Riewoldt went down what would happen and my thoughts at the time was that Broad wouldnt be a bad option to play the Riewoldt type role and i believe he could actually become a decent foward - Ohh well looks like that wont happen now with Dead Eye D' Townsend having his cameo

His kicking and decision making were poo in his early games but he was faultless in the GF. His competitive edge unnerved Lynch and he layed some crucial shepherds for Valustuin and Lambert when they were parked under a high ball.
Agree, i thought his decision making and disposal were great in the finals.

I had doubts about his kicking and then I realised that its just his ungainly kicking action. He's still accurate and the ball gets there quick. He's got the kind of unorthodox action that's rarely seen nowadays, but was common as late as the end of the eighties.

Agree, i thought his decision making and disposal were great in the finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back