Autopsy 58 point win against Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting remarks, RBBS. I don't like arrogant bullies either. Not a good look. JPK just lets his deeds and effort do the talking. Most of the swans do. The issue with Parker is whether he was reacting to what Shiels had said earlier. No matter really, you dish it out then the time will come when you take your whack. It's why it's not a good look to be presenting to young supporters and players. Sort of sullies the good deed and suggests that he's a flat track bully. I didn't see Parker running to assist Mills in his first games when he was man handled repeatedly by oppositions. Stand up to bullies, but don't become one. Having said that, I didn't see any swan standing up to Mills transgressors in his early games for us. Shameful really and was a stain on the character of our senior players at the time.
The owen-six year was Kennedy's first year as captain. We'd played a losing GF and after going deep into September we were struggling to get our first win. We were being kicked around and bullied by lesser teams. A lot of teams were taking the opportunity for a bit of payback. We needed leadership more than ever which put a lot of pressure on our inexperienced sole captain, who was trying to come to terms with the demands of the captaincy while maintaining his enormous output.

The Mills bullying episode marked a low point for the club. Players like Hanners, Parker, Kennedy, Heeney and Jones would normally be expected to get in the face of anyone who tried such a thing. But we'd just been robbed of a hard fought premiership, we'd let the dogs rub salt into our wounds again in round 2 and we just weren't performing. Our hopes of making the finals were fading fast. Team morale was very low and Kennedy just didn't have the experience to lift the team.

I don't know who decided enough was enough, whether that was a team thing, Horse or Kennedy himself, but after the Mills incident there was a marked turnaround in attitude. It started with a Buddy Franklin 8 goal haul and ended up with the most incredible run of 15-2 from the next 17 games on the way to a semi-final. Kennedy found his mojo again in Rd8, picking up an average of a shade under 2 Brownlow votes per game over the next 7 games, after just 2 votes for the whole of the first 7 games. We hammered the Dogs in Round 12 then beat the eventual premiers Richmond with eventual Brownlow medallist Dustin Martin in a game where Kennedy picked up the 3 votes for best afield. But the effort of coming back from owen-six was too much and we were torn apart in the Semi by eventual Brownlow runner-up Dangerfield.

I'd like to think no young Swan will ever be bullied like Mills was again, but what that year did highlight was that Kennedy took time to adjust to the sole captaincy while trying to maintain his incredible output. I can't help but think we could have won the 2017 premiership had we not started so poorly, and I think that came down to making our best midfielder sole captain. To his credit JPK still finished 4th in the Brownlow that year. The decision to eventually share the captaincy was a relief to many supporters and no doubt also to Kennedy.

I think Mills has all the makings of a great captain but I worry how a sole captaincy might affect his output. Lets not forget that Kennedy was the best inside mid and contested ball winner in the game before he took on sole captaincy. yet he'd already been leading by example for his entire career. I'm far more comfortable with Mills being a co-captain. I think his deeds are already inspirational enough to the team. I expect soon enough Rampe will relinquish the co-captaincy and it'll will come down to just Mills and Parker. I'd be comfortable with that.

Parker was specifically targeting Shields not celebrating a goal. He was psyching Shiel out by telling him he is soft. I think this ạ very good thing if a bloke is overrated and thinks a lot of himself. Bring him back to Earth. Shiel has always been a run one way player. Wherever his team has the ball or ball is in dispute for the receive. But as soon as the ball is in opposition hands he goes missing. He likes the easy ball. But will not pick up his opponent and get the hard ball.

As to a bad example. I don't think so. Parker leads by example and by marshaling the troops. JPK is a quiet guy. He leads by example only. I think Rampe is more vocal, like Parker when things get hot. But much more vocal than any other. Mills is a quieter but more strident organiser type.

Papley would never change his celebrations and nor should he even if he was a leader. Nor should any players be asked to stop celebrating a goal. But Paps carry on over a bad kick was totally off. He has history in this.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Mills from Unders level has always been vocal !

The owen-six year was Kennedy's first year as captain. We'd played a losing GF and after going deep into September we were struggling to get our first win. We were being kicked around and bullied by lesser teams. A lot of teams were taking the opportunity for a bit of payback. We needed leadership more than ever which put a lot of pressure on our inexperienced sole captain, who was trying to come to terms with the demands of the captaincy while maintaining his enormous output.

The Mills bullying episode marked a low point for the club. Players like Hanners, Parker, Kennedy, Heeney and Jones would normally be expected to get in the face of anyone who tried such a thing. But we'd just been robbed of a hard fought premiership, we'd let the dogs rub salt into our wounds again in round 2 and we just weren't performing. Our hopes of making the finals were fading fast. Team morale was very low and Kennedy just didn't have the experience to lift the team.

I don't know who decided enough was enough, whether that was a team thing, Horse or Kennedy himself, but after the Mills incident there was a marked turnaround in attitude. It started with a Buddy Franklin 8 goal haul and ended up with the most incredible run of 15-2 from the next 17 games on the way to a semi-final. Kennedy found his mojo again in Rd8, picking up an average of a shade under 2 Brownlow votes per game over the next 7 games, after just 2 votes for the whole of the first 7 games. We hammered the Dogs in Round 12 then beat the eventual premiers Richmond with eventual Brownlow medallist Dustin Martin in a game where Kennedy picked up the 3 votes for best afield. But the effort of coming back from owen-six was too much and we were torn apart in the Semi by eventual Brownlow runner-up Dangerfield.

I'd like to think no young Swan will ever be bullied like Mills was again, but what that year did highlight was that Kennedy took time to adjust to the sole captaincy while trying to maintain his incredible output. I can't help but think we could have won the 2017 premiership had we not started so poorly, and I think that came down to making our best midfielder sole captain. To his credit JPK still finished 4th in the Brownlow that year. The decision to eventually share the captaincy was a relief to many supporters and no doubt also to Kennedy.

I think Mills has all the makings of a great captain but I worry how a sole captaincy might affect his output. Lets not forget that Kennedy was the best inside mid and contested ball winner in the game before he took on sole captaincy. yet he'd already been leading by example for his entire career. I'm far more comfortable with Mills being a co-captain. I think his deeds are already inspirational enough to the team. I expect soon enough Rampe will relinquish the co-captaincy and it'll will come down to just Mills and Parker. I'd be comfortable with that.
W and P , love the Kings 1 liners

It just that he lacks confidence and whether he improves it who knows . Nothing to do with Macca , you've disliked players over the years
Bell's not going to get confidence by being dropped every time he has a bad game but he's got alot of competition for spots. He needs to be told to bring maximum pressure to every game and the rest will follow. I love it when he attacks the ball and/or the player aggressively. He also shows some good footy smarts.

It just that he lacks confidence and whether he improves it who knows . Nothing to do with Macca , you've disliked players over the years
So because he lacks confidence you want to keep flogging him every chance you get ? Nothing to do with Macca ? You didn’t like him from the day he was drafted. He’s an athlete, he’s soft, all he does is point, he’s selfish. All things that you said about McVeigh over and over again. Oh ! But I don’t dislike him ! McVeigh as quoted by Luke Hodge probably the most respected player in the AFL by his peers at the time. Bell gets selected in the 22 this week does his job and you still want to s**t can him. Give the kid a go. Yes I’ve been hard on players but when they perform its credit where credit is due. Bell tries his arse off and in all likelihood he may never be the player we want him to be but while he runs out wearing red and white having a crack and holding his own I’m not shitting on the kid like you do. Oh and btw Its weak as piss from those of us who do,considering all we all were when we played were suburban hacks.

So because he lacks confidence you want to keep flogging him every chance you get ? Nothing to do with Macca ? You didn’t like him from the day he was drafted. He’s an athlete, he’s soft, all he does is point, he’s selfish. All things that you said about McVeigh over and over again. Oh ! But I don’t dislike him ! McVeigh as quoted by Luke Hodge probably the most respected player in the AFL by his peers at the time. Bell gets selected in the 22 this week does his job and you still want to s**t can him. Give the kid a go. Yes I’ve been hard on players but when they perform its credit where credit is due. Bell tries his arse off and in all likelihood he may never be the player we want him to be but while he runs out wearing red and white having a crack and holding his own I’m not shitting on the kid like you do. Oh and btw Its weak as piss from those of us who do,considering all we all were when we played were suburban hacks.
Never have said he doesn't have a crack , just not up to it . Stop bringing up the past , Macca ended up a champion of the club , just thought he got games early when not up to it

Never have said he doesn't have a crack , just not up to it . Stop bringing up the past , Macca ended up a champion of the club , just thought he got games early when not up to it
Don’t tell me what or what not to bring up. You don’t like the truth. Problem with you is you would not have the guts to tell these players you bag to personal levels what you think of them to their face. Let’s just hope that poor prick Clarke doesn’t play senior footy this year. Would be flogged unmercifully.

Don't have a go at me Wolfie. I don't think Freo are better than us, nor do I think we're far off Brissie or Melb. I was replying to Punt's post where he wrote that we were a long way off Freo, Brisbane and Melbourne.
Punts is a Hanrahan.

Said Hanrahan we'll all be ruined
Before this year is out

Two Wolfies are just too much

You were pretty good in your assessment

Dees and Lions are way in front at this stage.

We sit in a group of teams which include the Hooped Grannies. Who I think are more overrated than the Harlem Globetrotters, who were too old to actually play real basketball. I remember seeing them and they had more grey hair than a grannies hairbrush.

Saints are a good honest side. Freo showed how vulnerable they are to different conditions. Don't seen to like water much. But Sun's are a better side than people think.

Footescray have a couple of big problems. A lack of a good scoring forward line. A short backline. But I think their mids are overrated. Bont is a huge unit and basically carries that side. Without him they are ordinary.

GWS are finished

Carlton beat easy teams quite well generally. But do have problems with stronger sides

Now, Tigers gave more of their premiership players back than at any time in the lasf 2 years and it is becoming obvious. They are playing far Better. Depth is their problem. They just don't have much.

Port struggle against good sides. They struggle without Charlie

Pies can be good. But when they are bad they are terrible. They think they are more talented than they are

Yep, I don’t think sole captaincy is the way to go. I actually thought it was a great thing when Kennedy was appointed sole captain but I was definitely wrong on that one.

I think the best solution would be the team calling out the complacency problem and solving it at its core. I could be completely wrong, it could be a Longmire thing or a group-think thing - but I don’t think anyone can deny it is a thing and needs to be addressed if we are to become a formidable team week in week out like Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t tell me what or what not to bring up. You don’t like the truth. Problem with you is you would not have the guts to tell these players you bag to personal levels what you think of them to their face. Let’s just hope that poor prick Clarke doesn’t play senior footy this year. Would be flogged unmercifully.
He's better than Bell , not a great player but will stay on his man. Never hird you bag a Swans player !
Punts is a Hanrahan.

Said Hanrahan we'll all be ruined
Before this year is out

Two Wolfies are just too much

You were pretty good in your assessment

Dees and Lions are way in front at this stage.

We sit in a group of teams which include the Hooped Grannies. Who I think are more overrated than the Harlem Globetrotters, who were too old to actually play real basketball. I remember seeing them and they had more grey hair than a grannies hairbrush.

Saints are a good honest side. Freo showed how vulnerable they are to different conditions. Don't seen to like water much. But Sun's are a better side than people think.

Footescray have a couple of big problems. A lack of a good scoring forward line. A short backline. But I think their mids are overrated. Bont is a huge unit and basically carries that side. Without him they are ordinary.

GWS are finished

Carlton beat easy teams quite well generally. But do have problems with stronger sides

Now, Tigers gave more of their premiership players back than at any time in the lasf 2 years and it is becoming obvious. They are playing far Better. Depth is their problem. They just don't have much.

Port struggle against good sides. They struggle without Charlie

Pies can be good. But when they are bad they are terrible. They think they are more talented than they are

Sort out the Wolfs ffs

“Suburban hack” was an apt description of my better games.

Not sure what describes the level below “hack”, but that was me.

Good call.
I reckon Ramps finishes skippering this year. 2023 Mills and Parker.
2024 interesting. Maybe Parker again, maybe not.
Best candidate to take over from Parker? Errol? Not sure about others as captains. Maybe Tom McCartin?
Who has the gravitas?

Good call.
I reckon Ramps finishes skippering this year. 2023 Mills and Parker.
2024 interesting. Maybe Parker again, maybe not.
Best candidate to take over from Parker? Errol? Not sure about others as captains. Maybe Tom McCartin?
Who has the gravitas?
Errol has captaincy written all over him. Not if but when.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back