Player Watch #6: Caleb Windsor – the kid just has 'it'

Remove this Banner Ad

I love how every other pick in the top 10 was a Curnow, Bont, May and Dusty clone, and we picked up a McInerney clone 🤪

Wouldn't have minded this pick at 13, but it sounds like GWS were keen at 8. Hopefully he's more Lachie Whitfield than Jimmy Toumpas. Has pace and good by foot. So ticks a couple of well needed boxes. Hopefully pushing Lingers or Hunter out sometime in 2024. Howes a defensive winger, Windsor an attacking one maybe?

I like the selection and he is happy to join us too:

PICK 7 - CALEB WINDSOR (Melbourne)

"It's bloody awesome. I can't believe it. I did not expect to be a top 10 pick. I'm so grateful for the opportunity they've given me. Probably the best feeling ever when all my best mates jumped on me when I got my name called out. Half of my family goes for [the Demons] so I know a bit about them! Obviously want to play my first game, stay in the team and win a premiership. I play on the wing and I pride myself on my pace and my defensive pressure."

I like the selection and he is happy to join us too:

PICK 7 - CALEB WINDSOR (Melbourne)

"It's bloody awesome. I can't believe it. I did not expect to be a top 10 pick. I'm so grateful for the opportunity they've given me. Probably the best feeling ever when all my best mates jumped on me when I got my name called out. Half of my family goes for [the Demons] so I know a bit about them! Obviously want to play my first game, stay in the team and win a premiership. I play on the wing and I pride myself on my pace and my defensive pressure."
Not even he could believe we picked him at 7 over Curtin, Caddy & O'Sullivan :rolleyes: JT better have nailed this coz it feels like we drafted to target a specific need or 2 with speed & kicking I50 rather than BPA which is ridiculous at 7.

I love how every other pick in the top 10 was a Curnow, Bont, May and Dusty clone, and we picked up a McInerney clone 🤪

Wouldn't have minded this pick at 13, but it sounds like GWS were keen at 8. Hopefully he's more Lachie Whitfield than Jimmy Toumpas. Has pace and good by foot. So ticks a couple of well needed boxes. Hopefully pushing Lingers or Hunter out sometime in 2024. Howes a defensive winger, Windsor an attacking one maybe?
No. You said Leake was Fyfe. Who got taken at #17. You must know something that the 16 other clubs don't know :)

Not even he could believe we picked him at 7 over Curtin, Caddy & O'Sullivan :rolleyes: JT better have nailed this coz it feels like we drafted to target a specific need or 2 with speed & kicking I50 rather than BPA which is ridiculous at 7.
And Oliver wasn't expected to be a high pick either, what's your point. GWS must have rated Curtin so high that they literally traded out to get away from him :)

Windsor was best player available. We went BPA, not needs. If we went needs we would've gone a key forward or key back.

How people can pretend that they know more than the full time recruiting team because they watch a few YouTube clips and look at a few mock drafts is beyond me. GWS would've taken Windsor after us. He was highly rated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't see anything special in the highlights, but gotta Assume we're projecting a Crisp, Whitfield, Mcluggage type. Not necessarily a direct comparison but a transition midfielder who can really link from D50 to F50 which is something we don't have.

Those guys also take 3 years to be ready. Tholstrup to be a chance before this kid imo

Don't see anything special in the highlights, but gotta Assume we're projecting a Crisp, Whitfield, Mcluggage type. Not necessarily a direct comparison but a transition midfielder who can really link from D50 to F50 which is something we don't have.

Those guys also take 3 years to be ready. Tholstrup to be a chance before this kid imo
I like the pick, but agree that Tholstrup is probably in a position to impact earlier in his career

Said he had question marks over his kicking last night, just what we need. From the footage I saw a lot of kicks seem to have a slow loping motion. Another bloke who bolts down the field to dump kick like Jayden Hunt.

Begs belief we took this bloke at 7 when what we really need is an agile nuggety mid like a Butters/Gulden type or KP defenders post May/Petty or another key forward. Would’ve even looked at one of the rucks ahead of this bloke as Verall isn’t setting the world on fire and was some good options beyond Gawn. Hell, a bid on Read or Rogers wouldn’t have gone astray. We have spent the last 4 years bringing in wingmen.

This bloke will sit behind Langdon/Hunter/Billings and even possibly Brayshaw, Woewodin and Howes for a run on the wing, absolute wasted opportunity/pick for a position we are already well decked-out in. Dees have a habit of trying to over correct, it’s our obsession with inside midfielders all over again but now with wingmen and medium sized forwards.

Guess one benefit will be that hopefully Mrs Windsor spends some time down at the club.

Last edited:
Jayden Hunt mention #355

Also, I liked the bits I saw from Verall last year.

Jayden Hunt mention #355

Also, I liked the bits I saw from Verall last year.
This is the same dude who wanted Liam Henry with Pick 3 in the Jackson/Pickett draft and said that Henry + Dylan Stephens/Brodie Kemp would be a better option than Hayden Young and Cody Weightman.

#RunsOnTheBoard

Draft a Jayden Hunt clone, there will be mentions about it.

JT took Hunt in the 50's. And Im pretty sure he knows more than you when it comes to assessing talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back