Scandal 7 VFL/AFL premiership teams found to have cheated the salary cap

Should Hawthorn, North Melbourne,Essendon and Carlton be stripped of their illegally obtained flags?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It should certainly be investigated.
We got investigated based on the opinion of a Carlton midfielder.

But it wouldn't be a good look for the AFL, so they'll just sweep the comments under the rug and hope people forget, as they usually do.

it's something replicated somewhat with current day free agency - you supposedly need to pay above market to get a player to your team. ergo, just because you didn't cheat in a specific year, your cheating in a previous year allowed a player to come to or be retained at your club.

as for taking our '95 away... won't happen. any team rorting of that era will be consigned to 'that was just what footy teams did back in the day' type talk.

Hardly going to be an unbiased poll but I voted yes anyway.

Maybe just Carlton and Essendon because they are the most grubbiest. Carlton got a fair whack in 2002 through so maybe just Essendon :)

Last edited:
That is what the article you read said right?

Along with the fact that the AFL never found the Hawks guilty.

It's in the OP friend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is?

If you've copied a large chunk of an article without crediting the source this thread is going to be getting shut down, you might want to update your OP with the link to the article

Done. Free speech is alive.

Done. Free speech is alive.
It's a nice puff piece, he's drawing some pretty long bows though and I don't see him citing a single source for reference purposes

I'm struggling to see the relevance of this thread

It's a nice puff piece, he's drawing some pretty long bows though and I don't see him citing a single source for reference purposes

I'm struggling to see the relevance of this thread

Well, i think it's an interesting piece which deserves discussion. It's pretty specific on some points. But what you're really saying is it makes you feel uncomfortable as a Hawthorn supporter, so you'd rather bury it? We have an actual football discussion here (as opposed to some of the other illusionary threads going on posted by 12 year olds) and we can't talk about it?

Meh, I'm pretty sure if North could afford to breach the cap then other clubs would be doing it in the same year, so all teams in the competition would need to be audited for each season.

Not worth it imo, just keep your asterisks.

As per fact, please discuss -
The Salary Cap Breaches Behind Seven VFL/AFL Flags - author - Tom Basso - The Mongrel Punt - Jan 26 2019

The widespread salary cap cheating involves up to seven premiership teams, four clubs and two esteemed modern football dynasties.
The AFL record books show that the 1993 premiers, Essendon is the only side to have been adjudged to have breached the salary cap in their premiership year.
The famous “Baby Bombers” of 1993 were at the centre of the league’s first major salary cap scandal when a joint AFL and Australian Tax Office investigation found that the club had committed a series of systematic cap breaches between 1991 and 1996. Over that period Essendon cheated the cap by $514,500 including $110,000 in 1993, the year they won the flag.
The club was savaged with a $638,250 fine for systematic salary cap breaches and draft tampering, and were disqualified from the first three rounds of the 1997 National Draft and the entirety of the rookie and pre-season drafts. Yet, critically the flag was not stripped from them.
It would prove to be a dangerous precedent.

Carlton cannot be crying foul as they too were comfortably over the cap in 1993 by $85,000. The AFL found that Carlton operated outside the salary cap in 1998 and 2001 and were subsequently fined a then Australian sporting record of $987,500. But that is only half the story. Carlton’s 1995 premiership title, the club’s only flag in the AFL era, is also tainted by salary cap cheating.
One of Carlton’s finest ever players, and 1995 Norm Smith Medalist, Greg Williams was receiving illegal payments through a construction company, outside the salary cap. These payments totaled $200,000 between 1993 and 1995. Carlton retaining the 1995 premiership title seems to have ultimately proved a proclamation, long argued at Princess Park, by former AFL CEO Wayne Jackson.
“If someone wants to cheat year after year they deserve what they get. This was a club that cheated and rorted over a period of years and they deserved everything they got and arguably plus some more.”

Although, same cannot be said for that first flag of the successful North Melbourne era.
In 1996, the AFL quietly fined North Melbourne a modest $30,000 for breaching the salary cap, in a season which they won the premiership. The AFL, unlike the NRL via its action against Melbourne Storm, again decided against stripping the flag from the Kangaroos.
Between 1983 to 1991, the Hawthorn Football Club won five premierships and played in eight grand finals, including an unbelievable seven in a row. The team is widely regarded as the game’s greatest of the past 60 years, boasting champions such as Leigh Matthews, Jason Dunstall, Michael Tuck, Dermott Brereton, Peter Knights, John Platten, Gary Ayres and Robert Dipierdomenico. The team’s sheer longevity as a collective was most remarkable due to the side’s ability to keep its cavalcade of club champions together.
When asked to explain the team’s greatness in an extraordinary radio interview on 3AW last year, Don Scott, an instrumental figure in saving Hawthorn from a proposed merger with Melbourne, confessed that the club used to “pay well over the salary cap” to “star players” during that era of success. Scott revealed that this was why these players “stayed at Hawthorn” and that it was an illegal bank account in Tasmania that hid football’s biggest secret.
With the salary cap being implemented in 1985, if Scott's stunning revelations are to be believed, the integrity of up to four of the club’s five flags during this golden era are dragged into question. These flags are 1986 (against Carlton), 1988 (against Melbourne), 1989 (against Geelong) and 1991 (against West Coast). However, the AFL never found Hawthorn guilty for breaching the salary cap during its successful reign. The secret bank account Scott mentioned must have been a very well-kept secret.

The AFL took forever to get their financial house in order as the competition expanded. Teams like Geelong, West Coast and Adelaide were punished for following the rules, whilst teams operating well outside the realms of what is fair and equitable were allowed to keep the rewards obtained via rorting the system.

I would also seriously look a the pies flag run in the early 1900's when they were competitive. I have some serious mail that they were paying overs in grain and horse shoe repairs for there players compared to other 3 or so clubs that were also playing in that time.

Look it up brother, its shocking!

Well, i think it's an interesting piece which deserves discussion. It's pretty specific on some points. But what you're really saying is it makes you feel uncomfortable as a Hawthorn supporter, so you'd rather bury it? We have an actual football discussion here (as opposed to some of the other illusionary threads going on posted by 12 year olds) and we can't talk about it?
Footy History board maybe
In fact, yes

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...found-to-have-cheated-the-salary-cap.1211536/

Back