Scandal 7 VFL/AFL premiership teams found to have cheated the salary cap

Should Hawthorn, North Melbourne,Essendon and Carlton be stripped of their illegally obtained flags?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Well John Elliot was as bent as they come, he got Richard Pratt to the club so he had a supply of paper bags to pay off the women who were complaining and paying the players over the cap.His comments on indigenous people were truly disgusting.
Pity Richmond weren't good enough to win a flag when they were caught huh!?

We were rattling tins in 1990. I don’t think we were cheating the cap too much.
There’s a story where we were doing a pre season camp in Moe. It was pissing down and they decided to do it in the basketball stadium.
A window gets broken and Barry Rowlings was nervous when he approached KB to tell him. KB says don’t worry about it. Just pay for a new one. Barry had to tell him the club couldn’t afford to replace it. They paid for the window out of their own pockets. True story.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

This from an article inhttp://www.convictcreations.com/football/carlton.htm#.XGJyeGk7Y0M

After constantly being dragged through the mud, in 2009, Elliot hit back by confessing that Carlton had paid hush money to four or five women who said they had been raped by players in the 1980s and 1990s. Elliot said the payments had been made because he suspected the women were lying and it was a way to protect the club from bad publicity. This in turn made it a bit odd that he was bringing bad publicity to the club by confessing that rapes may have occured and the women had been bought off. The club was not impressed and reacted by banning Elliot from attending any events.

This from an article inhttp://www.convictcreations.com/football/carlton.htm#.XGJyeGk7Y0M

After constantly being dragged through the mud, in 2009, Elliot hit back by confessing that Carlton had paid hush money to four or five women who said they had been raped by players in the 1980s and 1990s. Elliot said the payments had been made because he suspected the women were lying and it was a way to protect the club from bad publicity. This in turn made it a bit odd that he was bringing bad publicity to the club by confessing that rapes may have occured and the women had been bought off. The club was not impressed and reacted by banning Elliot from attending any events.
Gee...you like dragging Carlton through the mud don't you.
If you think this is just isolated to Carlton then you're more naive than I first thought!

We were rattling tins in 1990. I don’t think we were cheating the cap too much.
There’s a story where we were doing a pre season camp in Moe. It was pissing down and they decided to do it in the basketball stadium.
A window gets broken and Barry Rowlings was nervous when he approached KB to tell him. KB says don’t worry about it. Just pay for a new one. Barry had to tell him the club couldn’t afford to replace it. They paid for the window out of their own pockets. True story.

Haha...that is a good story.
But I was referring to 2010.

Haha...that is a good story.
But I was referring to 2010.

If that’s “the Wallace years” that’s kind of a blank spot in the memory banks. Like “the Pagan years” for you guys.

Funny thing is i reckon Essendon is a dirtier, grubbier club than Carlton.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/1999-10-25/essendon-loses-salary-cap-appeal

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2003-10-03/bombers-charged-with-salary-cap-breach/1487944

Add the illegal doping scandal and it does stack up a bit on that clubs behaviour over the journey.

Just for you jezzajay. Enjoy.

If that’s “the Wallace years” that’s kind of a blank spot in the memory banks. Like “the Pagan years” for you guys.

Can we add "the Malthouse years" to that too please? Aaaghhh...

So age affects an ability to report or bring things to light. So for example, people who didn’t participate in the civil war shouldn’t write about it?
How dumb are we becoming as a society?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By that logic, Carlton supporters shouldn't be allowed to discuss most of their 16 flags.

Can we add "the Malthouse years" to that too please? Aaaghhh...

I see your Malthouse and raise you a Robert Walls.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee...you like dragging Carlton through the mud don't you.
If you think this is just isolated to Carlton then you're more naive than I first thought!
More of a John Elliott dislike, he was a pig of a man, Pratt was good for the club and I thought Denis Pagan was given a poisoned chalice at the time.

Can someone please point out to me ANY details or actual evidence Carlton cheated the salary cap in 1995?

The Blues broke the salary cap in 1995 due to performance enhancing contracts. Until that point in time nobody had had a season as good as Carlton's 95 season. The AFL agreed that it was unlikely and unforeseeable that we would have had that type of year especially given the way 94 ended and thus cleared us of wrongdoing.

What’s laughable is hanging on an article written by a kid that wouldn’t have any recollection of the 90’s that has copy and pasted an article from 15 years ago...and taking that as gospel! Where as there is no other source or info related ‘anywhere’ to salary cap cheating in 1995!

I understand it was the era for this type of occurrence, but to take a kids word for it is as funny as it gets!

Where did I say that!

I was including you on a point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawthorn were without doubt over the salary cap. On 93 alone I've heard Dermie say on SEN he was in the top 3 paid players in the comp, Gary Ayres say on Open Mike that he was on around 200k in his last season which was 93. Throw in Jarman, Dunstall, Platten, Langford, Allan who all wouldn't have been playing for unders and there would clearly have been an issue. It would have been worse for them in the 88-92 years when they were winning multiple flags. The cap was only around $1.5 million at the time as well. Most clubs were over at this time, some clearly more than others.

Back