Banter Adelaide Board's Combined Politics/Covid discussion Banter Thread (WARNING NOT FOR THE FAINT-HEARTED)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agreed with Darren Cahill's assessment that their were faults by all parties... & this saga could have been simply avoided if we only issue visas on proof of vaccination or medical exemption as opposed to on arrival.
Whats the turnaround time on getting a visa approved? Then taking into account you need to book flights and plan your trip.

What if you only could get your second shot a few days before you travel? Its not as straightforward as you make it.

The rules are fine as they are as long as you enforce it at arrival, if you are silly enough to travel without it then thats on you.

I agreed with Darren Cahill's assessment that their were faults by all parties... & this saga could have been simply avoided if we only issue visas on proof of vaccination or medical exemption as opposed to on arrival.

Isn't that unworkable though when you can apply for a Visa months in advanced

Especially when it looks like it will soon be 3 doses soon, you may have your booster booked a fortnight before you arrive but your Visa application went in months ago to allow you to book flights/accommodation etc.

There is nothing wrong with issuing Visas months in advance, when you arrive you need to satisfy entry requirements and backup what you put in your Visa application - there is nothing wrong with this system - just self-entitled flogs that think they don't need to comply.

Problem is t

Mmmmm, seems like hypocrisy Jen. I guess you’re as qualified in this area as you are vaccine development, so no wonder you feel it appropriate to provide your learned view.

I did note that you liked every post of Grotto’s that attacked me. Don’t ever change, you’re awesome. Still the only poster ever to lose their sh*t at not making mod. You’re pathetic.
Seriously. Get help. You are embarrassing yourself.

Whats the turnaround time on getting a visa approved? Then taking into account you need to book flights and plan your trip.

What if you only could get your second shot a few days before you travel? Its not as straightforward as you make it.

The rules are fine as they are as long as you enforce it at arrival, if you are silly enough to travel without it then thats on you.
Usually a very quick turn around on a visa.

These are different times.

If we don't want unvaccinated non-residents coming to Australia, then we should not issue them a visa in the 1st place.

Simple.

Isn't that unworkable though when you can apply for a Visa months in advanced

Especially when it looks like it will soon be 3 doses soon, you may have your booster booked a fortnight before you arrive but your Visa application went in months ago to allow you to book flights/accommodation etc.

There is nothing wrong with issuing Visas months in advance, when you arrive you need to satisfy entry requirements and backup what you put in your Visa application - there is nothing wrong with this system - just self-entitled flogs that think they don't need to comply.
Most people are now either vaccinated or not, so it really isn't that difficult.

I think they should just open the schools, not this chaotic half-measure.

When I first heard that the teachers were complaining, I assumed it was just because they wanted the schools to stay closed "because risk of COVID", and my initial response was "Get stuffed, there are people working in shops, and hospitality, and all these other places that you are happy to have open, and our kids don't need to have any more of their education compromised. Do your job."

Now...

That is a fair point, on the face of it, but it is no different from what other essential workers face. Catch COVID outside the home, you have to isolate at home. Whether you caught it from an adult in a shop, or a child in a school, makes no difference.
Given hospitalisations in SA have stabilised, I would agree schools should open up as usual.

Usually a very quick turn around on a visa.

These are different times.

If we don't want unvaccinated non-residents coming to Australia, then we should not issue them a visa in the 1st place.

Simple.
Is it an automated process or requires manual intervention? Because supplying proof would require manual

Have you got the figures for Victoria?

Victoria has these daily snapshots, rather than whole pandemic (don't ask why just these 4 days - would be better off showing total).

DATEHOSPFULLICUFULL
31 Dec42848%540%
18 Dec38438%848%
17 Dec38638%828%
16 Dec38438%8710%

Is it an automated process or requires manual intervention? Because supplying proof would require manual
When I have applied for visas in the past, I had to attach supporting documentation... so not difficult to attach proof of covax too.

I gather someone in government checks the paperwork, then if ok, issues the visa.

Most people are now either vaccinated or not, so it really isn't that difficult.

But given all those who are double vaxxed require boosters shortly, wont that flow through to those entering the country. ie. show us you've had your booster.

I still can't see what is wrong with the current setup, I know the vaccination requirements to enter a country, I have applied for a Visa, I have my booster booked before I arrive in that country.

Another example if you want to "pre-approve" Visas and not check the details on arrival. What happens if circumstances change ie. I have applied for a tourist Visa but I lost my job and have no money to travel so I arranged to work whilst I'm travelling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But given all those who are double vaxxed require boosters shortly, wont that flow through to those entering the country. ie. show us you've had your booster.

I still can't see what is wrong with the current setup, I know the vaccination requirements to enter a country, I have applied for a Visa, I have my booster booked before I arrive in that country.

Another example if you want to "pre-approve" Visas and not check the details on arrival. What happens if circumstances change ie. I have applied for a tourist Visa but I lost my job and have no money to travel so I arranged to work whilst I'm travelling.
Don't think a booster is a big deal, as still have significant protection from being hospitalised without.

The current setup clearly doesn't work as we have let people in who are unvaccinated!

He is literally miles ahead of the next highest rated republican in all the polling. IF he chooses to run, he is going to win the primaries and be the republican candidate unless De Sanctis for example can move people to vote for him - a guy that would be an excellent president imo
I don't think Trump is/was the Devil Incarnate, but they really should be able to do better. You could be a conservative / populist politician without being the loose cannon that Trump was. I agree, someone like De Santis would be better, but as you say, Trump's power in the party - and his popularity on the ground / in the primaries - is a big hurdle for an opponent to overcome.

Just as interesting will be who the Democrats come up with. Clearly (surely) it won't be Biden, the VP should have the front running, but... Kamala Harris? Seriously?

NSW - for the whole pandemic, not just 1 day!

CATEGORYCASESNONEPARTFULL
Cases126,93635.5%5.8%33.8%
Hospitalised8,68664.2%7.1%11.7%
ICU1,57172.7%6.2%6.7%
Deaths59870.2%12.7%16.1%
Not much point doing it from the start given no one was vaccinated for 12 months.

I don't think Trump is/was the Devil Incarnate, but they really should be able to do better. You could be a conservative / populist politician without being the loose cannon that Trump was. I agree, someone like De Santis would be better, but as you say, Trump's power in the party - and his popularity on the ground / in the primaries - is a big hurdle for an opponent to overcome.

Just as interesting will be who the Democrats come up with. Clearly (surely) it won't be Biden, the VP should have the front running, but... Kamala Harris? Seriously?
it is also really important to look at what sits behind the head honcho in terms of party policy positions. Trump was a figurehead but the policy decisions on a number of issues were aimed at making American lives better - myopic outlook maybe, but then again, foreign policy was good under his watch too. On the other side, they literally could put up JFK and it would not make a jot of difference as the strings are being pulled by the hard wacky nutjob left of the party and the policy positions reflect that and the people are looking at it horrified. The republicans would have to absolutely self destruct (not ruling that out yet either) to not be holding both houses and have a president sitting there in 2024

Last edited:
You would be surprised at how few Australians are members of a political party. Paul Keating famously referred to the Senate as being "unrepresentative swill" - the same could be said for the political parties themselves.

The Liberal Party has ~80K members, which represents just 0.32% of the population. ALP membership is even lower, at ~62K, though membership of certain unions almost counts as a defacto ALP membership. Australians' apathy towards political activity has allowed them to be governed by this unrepresentative swill for most of the last 70 years.

I'd also note that many of those ~142 members aren't active members - many are sock puppet memberships, signed up for the purpose of factional branch stacking (both major parties are equally guilty in this regard).

Given that the Libs are the "cream of society" - rich, thick, and full of clots - it almost begs the question whether Australia is a democracy, or an autocracy?

Paul Keating - one of the best long term thinkers of this country. Had a great deal of respect for him - called it as it was and you knew where you stood.

And as a Treasurer he shat all over Little Johnny.

The SGL is one of his greatest achievements.

Last edited:
I think they’ve got more registered/paid up members than any other political party.

Obviously votes are a different ball game. Overwhelming majority of voters aren’t members of a political party.

The overwhelming majority of voters are stupid and basically vote on the basis of what their parents did. You were either bought up - Liberals bad/good or ALP bad/good and Greens are loonies etc

Politics should be a compulsory subject in school once they get to Year10/11 onwards - just our system of government (both state and federal). No political bias just how the system works.

As Thomas Jefferson once said - “whenever people are well informed, they can be trusted with their own government”.

These other dubious policies you speak of...This is a question for you without any help from your lefty mates...you're online now so the answers should be instantaneous given your post...

Fire Away Jenny..

You think giving tax cuts adding billions over the forward estimates to the budget are a good idea? Do you think halving the capital gains tax was a good idea? Do you think providing franking credits refunds to someone who has actually paid no tax is a good idea? Do you think allowing some negative gearing when they have bought an existing property (not a new one) is a good idea? Do you think providing billions of $$$ in tax concessions/sudsidies to wealthly mining companies is a good idea?

Just some thoughts to ponder.

You do realise the national debt did more than double before the pandemic arrived and we had no external shocks from 2013 to 2019 like a GFC. Was that good economic management?

You think giving tax cuts adding billions over the forward estimates to the budget are a good idea? Do you think halving the capital gains tax was a good idea? Do you think providing franking credits refunds to someone who has actually paid no tax is a good idea? Do you think allowing some negative gearing when they have bought an existing property (not a new one) is a good idea? Do you think providing billions of $$$ in tax concessions/sudsidies to wealthly mining companies is a good idea?

Just some thoughts to ponder.

You do realise the national debt did more than double before the pandemic arrived and we had no external shocks from 2013 to 2019 like a GFC. Was that good economic management?
Kirky henceforth to be referred to as JENNY 🧝‍♀️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back