Banter Adelaide Board's Combined Politics/Covid discussion Banter Thread (WARNING NOT FOR THE FAINT-HEARTED)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having had an Auntie with dementia that spent the last 2 years of her life in an Aged Care Home (end of life home which is actually what they are) I guess you're aware their life is usually spent in a very sedentary manner and therefore they do not require the amounts of food a normal active person needs to sustain bodyweight etc., IMO the bigger problem is the lack of staffing and proper care that our frail elders require to have reasonable living standards in these establishments.

We care for my 89 year old mother at home, luckily she is still able to shower and toilet on her own with the usual disability aids available but in my Auntie's case that wasn't possible....the bigger problem in a lot of cases is to actually get those in Aged Care to eat at all without forcing them from what the carers have told me..

Yes. The aged residents know that a sure way to kill themselves is to starve themselves: I kid you not. This little gem is in wide circulation amongst the elderly.

Having had an Auntie with dementia that spent the last 2 years of her life in an Aged Care Home (end of life home which is actually what they are) I guess you're aware their life is usually spent in a very sedentary manner and therefore they do not require the amounts of food a normal active person needs to sustain bodyweight etc., IMO the bigger problem is the lack of staffing and proper care that our frail elders require to have reasonable living standards in these establishments.

We care for my 89 year old mother at home, luckily she is still able to shower and toilet on her own with the usual disability aids available but in my Auntie's case that wasn't possible....the bigger problem in a lot of cases is to actually get those in Aged Care to eat at all without forcing them from what the carers have told me..
Having had both my mother AND mother in law with dementia in an aged care facility, I am very well aware of the many dietary issues and that there are some bed ridden. I can assure you, that there are a majority of folk who live in these facilities, actually don’t have dementia and still have an appetite, ok not a huge one, but they look forward to their meal time. There’s not much else to look forward to. Also some dementia patients who DO eat. My mother walked. Every day. With her walker, head down, she’d shuffle her way around the facility, and back again, and then outside and back inside, around the garden etc etc etc. she never, ever stopped. She was non verbal by this stage. But she had a ravenous appetite. My mother in law, on the other hand, lost her appetite because of the horrible food. They’d give them a menu to “choose from”, but 9 times out of ten, what they ordered was never available and they’d get a shitty stale cheese sandwich. It was despicable. It’s still despicable!

I buy unsweetened almond milk for my shakes and that can vary between $2.50 to $3.50. But then again I do the shopping and am not the PM of a country.
I accidentally put some of that in my cup of tea af work once... & it wasn't the most pleasant.

The price of bread can vary anything from $1.25 for "homebrand" up to north of $6.00 for the more exclusive type breads.

Stupid question by the tryhard journalists that try this on.

Different when you're John Hewson the architect of the GST and then you cant explain the GST break up on a birthday cake. Thank christ for John Howard.

I would question whether $1.25 white cardboard bread should be classified as bread. ;)

But absolutely the price of bread varies significantly depending on the quality.

Wow, more than 10% of aged care residents haven't received any vaccination & significant number have not reviewed their booster.

They should have been prioritised as we opened up.

This is unsurprising. Many doctors have advised that there would be no point in giving vaccinations to residents in advanced stages of decay, quite sensibly. It is something not relevant to outside mantras, but only the individual's condition.

Of much greater importance is keeping up stringent requirements for vaccinations of the staff.

This is unsurprising. Many doctors have advised that there would be no point in giving vaccinations to residents in advanced stages of decay, quite sensibly. It is something not relevant to outside mantras, but only the individual's condition.

Of much greater importance is keeping up stringent requirements for vaccinations of the staff.
Plus some have refused and some children have refused. There’s no way they wouldn’t have been offered vaccines

Wouldn't have thought there would be anywhere near 10% having palliative care though... but no doubt would account for some.

The percentage unvaccinated in residential care would be more than double the rest of the population for the same age.

However, the key issue is many have not had their booster, which just had to be a priority when omicron has been running rampant. All residents should have got their booster by now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

13K deaths per month normally.

4K neoplasms (cancer) #1 ICD chapter
3.5K circulatory system (heart) is the #2 cause.
1K respiratory #3 cause

1519 Covid deaths in January. Ie. 17% of nornal number of deaths.

1330 covid deaths for all of 2021.

So certainly have let it rip!

Last edited:
13K deaths per month normally.

4K neoplasms (cancer) #1 ICD chapter
3.5K circulatory system (heart) is the #2 cause.
1K respiratory #3 cause

1519 Covid deaths in January. Ie. 17% of nornal number of deaths.

1330 covid deaths for all of 2021.

So certainly have let it rip!
How many deaths in Jan 22? Ie are Covid deaths just replacing something else?

I know it's foreign politics, but UK politics is fascinating at the moment.

Boris Johnson making an absolute mockery of the PM role, but his disastrous brexit deal is causing all sorts of shenanigans in Northern Ireland.

It's looking likely Sinn Fenn will become the dominant party (replacing the DUP who are pro UK anti EU)...who are pro EU and Pro Irish Unification. Interesting times ahead.

I know it's foreign politics, but UK politics is fascinating at the moment.

Boris Johnson making an absolute mockery of the PM role, but his disastrous brexit deal is causing all sorts of shenanigans in Northern Ireland.

It's looking likely Sinn Fenn will become the dominant party (replacing the DUP who are pro UK anti EU)...who are pro EU and Pro Irish Unification. Interesting times ahead.

Yup, the Pro England Boys Club parliament transfixed with English entitlement through their elite private schools and toffy nosed universities, have succeeded in pissing off Scotland and now seem intent on making the same dumbass mistakes that lead to the anti British movements of the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Yup, the Pro England Boys Club parliament transfixed with English entitlement through their elite private schools and toffy nosed universities, have succeeded in pissing off Scotland and now seem intent on making the same dumbass mistakes that lead to the anti British movements of the 70s, 80s and 90s.
10 years ago, maybe 20 one of the things he has done would have triggered a resignation (and probably a contesting of leadership 12 months later), it's incredible how low a bar he has set for future PM'S, you can see why Morrison would consider himself poorly treated.

Going to be very interesting 12 months in the UK , might end up just being England soon enough

Haha, you can't read that.

Don't have number of deaths for January... but I suspect a combination of excess deaths because of covid & others which were mainly due to other comorbidities. Question is what is the split? As a guess probably another 10%... but is is a guess.

Yes. The aged residents know that a sure way to kill themselves is to starve themselves: I kid you not. This little gem is in wide circulation amongst the elderly.
Yet another example of why we need to pass laws to legalise voluntary euthanasia and assisted dying legislation nationally..

And yet another example of christian conservatives pushing their religious views onto everyone else in this nation by constantly standing in the way.

Polls for legalising voluntary euthanasia in this country have always been up around the 80% in favour mark.. but no, no, no… we cant have that because thats against the rules of our 2000 year old fairytale.

Meanwhile thousands of Australians suffer terrible, painfull, undignified and unnecessarily protracted deaths and have to use other methods (like starving themselves in aged care facilities) to end their own lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back