Banter Adelaide Board's Combined Politics/Covid discussion Banter Thread (WARNING NOT FOR THE FAINT-HEARTED)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what they they see the hospital cap is. I imagine they need to act a week before they reach that cap. I don't think the cap would be that high given how under pressure our health is.
They really should have announced this so the SA public understand the situation.

My guess is around 60 extra beds they have purchased from the private hospitals. There are plans in place to use more beds, but then that would mean reducing other activities like elective surgery, which we would want to avoid.

Are you sure... as not hard to the genomic sequencing?

They have stopped contact tracing all cases & also listing all hot spots.
Yeah I’m pretty sure. She said something like if it’s a group they test only the one or a couple and estimate the rest. You’d imagine that would give a reasonable estimate but it’s only an estimate

Yeah I’m pretty sure. She said something like if it’s a group they test only the one or a couple and estimate the rest. You’d imagine that would give a reasonable estimate but it’s only an estimate
That makes sense if they have already tested 1 within a group of close contacts... would be safe to assume the same variant.

They really should have announced this so the SA public understand the situation.

My guess is around 60 extra beds they have purchased from the private hospitals. There are plans in place to use more beds, but then that would mean reducing other activities like elective surgery, which we would want to avoid.

Yep, not my area of expertise but they might even need to act two weeks out from reaching that projected number to see it slow in time.

Masks do exceedingly little. If we're relying on them to intervene then we're screwed.
The majority of masks I see out there are facial decorations. They are completely useless. KN95 and N95 do cut out a reasonable amount of viral particles in the air but obviously you can still get infected. Omicron is as contagious as measles so we are all getting it over the next month or two. Luckily for 95% infected it shouldn't be more than a bad cold. The majority of people get infected in the home where they are obviously not masked. Glen20 is good for killing the virus in the home.

Last edited:
The majority of masks I see out there are facial decorations. They are completely useless. KN95 and N95 do cut out a reasonable amount of viral particles in the air but obviously you can still get infected. Omicron is as contagious as measles so we are all getting it over the next month or two. Luckily for 95% of people it won't be more than a bad cold. The majority of people get infected in the home where they are obviously not masked.
If people all stayed home, they would not catch covid!

Would suggest that footy caters for a bigger market in WA than cricket.
WA does cater for a bigger market in WA than cricket - but that's got nothing to do with the AFL GF being played in WA, but the Test Match being cancelled.

The AFL were willing/able to work around the WA requirements, by playing most of the later rounds & early finals outside of the two COVID disaster states (Vic & NSW). CA have been unable to do that.

Why were the AFL able, and CA unable? During the August/September timeframe, only Vic/NSW/ACT were infected with COVID (thanks to Aunty Gladys). This meant that the AFL teams were able to play in SA/Tas/QLD, without risking infection to WA. In December/January, those states have all opened their borders and allowed the virus to spread. There is now nowhere for CA to send the players to play, while simultaneously serving the 2 weeks in a COVID free environment required for entry to WA.

WA does cater for a bigger market in WA than cricket - but that's got nothing to do with the AFL GF being played in WA, but the Test Match being cancelled.

The AFL were willing/able to work around the WA requirements, by playing most of the later rounds & early finals outside of the two COVID disaster states (Vic & NSW). CA have been unable to do that.

Why were the AFL able, and CA unable? During the August/September timeframe, only Vic/NSW/ACT were infected with COVID (thanks to Aunty Gladys). This meant that the AFL teams were able to play in SA/Tas/QLD, without risking infection to WA. In December/January, those states have all opened their borders and allowed the virus to spread. There is now nowhere for CA to send the players to play, while simultaneously serving the 2 weeks in a COVID free environment required for entry to WA.
Ignoring the pathetic Gladys jibe when you continue to ignore Dans incompetence and corruption, this is going to be interesting to see what happens if WA doesn’t open up, WA teams will have to be relocated

Percentage of public hospital beds occupied by covid patients.

NT 11.7%
NSW 2.5%
VIC 2.5%
QLD 0.6%
SA 0.5%
ACT 0.1%
TAS n/a
WA n/a

So not sure why SA is worrying about increased restrictions given covid patients only occupying 0.5% of capacity or 20% compared to NSW & Victoria.

I'm more concerned about NT, as they have the least number of beds of all jurisdictions & using 12% of them for covid patients... though I gather they are using wards as medi-hotels, given 2 3rds of their active cases are in hospital.

Percentage of public hospital beds occupied by covid patients.

NT 11.7%
NSW 2.5%
VIC 2.5%
QLD 0.6%
SA 0.5%
ACT 0.1%
TAS n/a
WA n/a

So not sure why SA is worrying about increased restrictions given covid patients only occupying 0.5% of capacity or 20% compared to NSW & Victoria.

I'm more concerned about NT, as they have the least number of beds of all jurisdictions & using 12% of them for covid patients... though I gather they are using wards as medi-hotels, given 2 3rds of their active cases are in hospital.

Why are people losing their minds in South Australia given the above information?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that all you've got ??

* me, are you kidding?

The fundamental premise upon which mandates and a lot of the other bullshit was sold, was that the vaccines stop infection and the spread of infection, and therefore the unvaccinated are a risk to others and are prolonging the pandemic.

And that the vaccines were “the only way out of the pandemic.”

From April:

COVID-19 vaccines have provided an opportunity to slow the spread of the virus and end the pandemic. New data from the CDC shows that COVID-19 infections do occur in vaccinated people, but they appear exceptionally rare.

Fast forward to now…

CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said that vaccines “may not prevent infection” according to data so far. She said this means people need “to continue to wear their masks to prevent the infections overall.”

I wonder what they they see the hospital cap is. I imagine they need to act a week before they reach that cap. I don't think the cap would be that high given how under pressure our health is.

The dotted line has been drawn at 200 COVID patients admitted across the system (including 30 ICU patients) being manageable.

These numbers might seem low, but as you’ve pointed out, by design there is little to no slack in our hospital system. It was running at pretty much full capacity prior to COVID (some would say under-resourced).

One very important consideration is length of stay for COVID ICU patients vs the average length of stay for ICU patients. There was a study that looked into this earlier in the year using NHS ICNARC data:
- COVID = 5-30 days.
- Cancer surgery = 1-2 days.

That is, your average COVID patient blocks access to an ICU bed for 5-15 average cancer patients.

In addition to all the additional precautions that need to be put in place for these patients, it’s not difficult to see why this part of the health system has been particularly vulnerable to COVID related surges over the last 2 years.

Last edited:
fu** me, are you kidding?

The fundamental premise upon which mandates and a lot of the other bullshit was sold, was that the vaccines stop infection and the spread of infection, and therefore the unvaccinated are a risk to others and are prolonging the pandemic.

And that the vaccines were “the only way out of the pandemic.”

From April:

COVID-19 vaccines have provided an opportunity to slow the spread of the virus and end the pandemic. New data from the CDC shows that COVID-19 infections do occur in vaccinated people, but they appear exceptionally rare.

Fast forward to now…

CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said that vaccines “may not prevent infection” according to data so far. She said this means people need “to continue to wear their masks to prevent the infections overall.”
Yeah, it's like all the experts should have known about the impact of a new vaccine on future variants... but it's ok as given how you think you have been so right, you can say everyone else is wrong.

The vaccination program never promised to prevent catching covid, but has been very successful at significantly reducing hospitalisation.

It's staggering given how much you think you have been right that you are not leading the CDC or WHO... only problem is you need to be vaccinated to work for them. Oh well.

Yeah, it's like all the experts should have known about the impact of a new vaccine on future variants...

A lot of them could see the folly in what was happening. Although to someone who likes the taste of Nicola Spurrier’s boots this probably comes as news to you.

It’s not controversial. It never was. You’re just incredibly simple.

The pro-vaxx mandate, lockdown crowd are getting more and more angry as people poke more and more holes in the narrative that they are no longer able to defend.

SHUT UP! IT WAS NEVER ABOUT STOPPING INFECTIONS ONLY SYMPTOMS! THE BOOSTERS ARE THE WAY OUT!

There’s no coming back from this. You and others are too proud to admit you’ve been had.

Spoiler alert: There‘s always going to be another variant.
Spoiler alert bonus: You will never be “fully vaccinated.”

Last edited:

The dotted line has been drawn at 200 COVID patients admitted across the system (including 30 ICU patients) being manageable.

These numbers might seem low, but as you’ve pointed out, by design there is little to no slack in our hospital system. It was running at pretty much full capacity prior to COVID (some would say under-resourced).

One very important consideration is length of stay for COVID ICU patients vs the average length of stay for ICU patients. There was a study that looked into this earlier in the year using NHS ICNARC data:
- COVID = 5-30 days.
- Cancer surgery = 1-2 days.

That is, your average COVID patient blocks access to an ICU bed for 5-15 average cancer patients.

In addition to all the additional precautions that need to be put in place for these patients, it’s not difficult to see why this part of the health system has been particularly vulnerable to COVID related surges over the last 2 years.
Thanks - interesting read. This report was done around the same time they asked me for costing of covid patients both in ICU & general wards.

A positive is that the percentage of patients in ICU are much lower, probably due to both vaccination & omicron becoming more dominant.

I was around the mark with my guess on the purchased private hospital beds.

Was initially thinking they would start to feel the need to significantly slow infection rates down when they filled up 60 beds, but now thinking more like 100 beds, given lower ICU... but I doubt they would want to get near 200 beds as I expect that would lead to resourcing issues for other activities, including the cancellation of elective surgery.

A lot of them could see the folly in what was happening. Although to someone who likes the taste of Nicola Spurrier’s boots this probably comes as news to you.

It’s not controversial. It never was. You’re just incredibly simple.

The pro-vaxx mandate, lockdown crowd are getting more and more angry as people poke more and more holes in the narrative that they are no longer able to defend.

SHUT UP! IT WAS NEVER ABOUT STOPPING INFECTIONS ONLY SYMPTOMS! THE BOOSTERS ARE THE WAY OUT!

There’s no coming back from this. You and others are too proud to admit you’ve been had.

Spoiler alert: There‘s always going to be another variant.
Spoiler alert bonus: You will never be “fully vaccinated.”
I am waiting for when you have to have had the booster (x number) AND have had the latest strain of covid before you are deemed eligible to enter certain premesis

Cricket Australia could have had the first test in WA and not Brisbane. The players could have quarantined for a week and then moved on. It isn’t as if CA didn’t know that SA and Qld were opening borders either - we were told well in advance and certainly well in advance of December 8th. We opened our borders November 23rd.

Cricket Australia isn’t a very nimble organisation, the AFL is. Says it all really.

Yeah, it's like all the experts should have known about the impact of a new vaccine on future variants...
Surely they would have planned for future mutations, and would know if the nature of the vaccine was such that it would protect against those mutations, or not.
The vaccination program never promised to prevent catching covid, but has been very successful at significantly reducing hospitalisation.
I couldn't say whether the underlying position has changed or whether it is a case of poor communication/messaging or me being a bit dim, but my initial understanding was that if I was vaccinated I was significantly less likely to catch Covid. I think I now expect to catch Covid, but for it to be much milder when I do, as a result of being vaccinated.

I am still glad to be vaccinated but I can't now say that I had a clear understanding of why, at the time, - and maybe I still don't.

I am for the vaccine but the messaging was clearly get vaccinated and reduce the chance of getting it and reduce the spread. But that doesn’t seem to be the case. Reducing severe illness was also a reason and it’s a valid reason to get vaccinated on it’s own.

But if it doesn’t reduce the spread, why the mandates? Why are the unvaccinated getting excluded from society? I was pro-mandates but if the rationale behind them isn’t there then we should get rid of them as they are doing more harm than good.

Am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back