AFL Media is a cesspool of vic bias

Remove this Banner Ad

I was in the local supermarket the other day, walked past 2 people talking about West Coast, I walked out, and won't shop there ever again.
Understandable, who would want to be associated, even in passing, with a non-victorian club.

Best you find a good solid store that only caters to Collingwood supporters, I can think of a couple :).

Big clubs and yet what does the club with the most members get? 4.40 Sunday arvo thanks very much.

The “Western Australian teams get the 4:40pm game too regularly” line gets repeated until the cows come home on the BigFooty main board like Australia has one single time zone.

Two things to remember-
—- Western Australian teams are often bad choices for Thursday/ Friday night games (especially away from Perth) as Perth is 2 hours behind the East Coast. Imagine Eagles supporters complaining because they have to watch a game at 5:20pm local time on a Thursday.
— The “4:40pm timeslot” starts at 2:40pm WA time; allowing the AFL to have that separate timeslot Foxtel wants while minimising the impact on fans because WA fans are still leaving the ground earlier in the day than the Victorian fans after the 3:20pm game

The “Western Australian teams get the 4:40pm game too regularly” line gets repeated until the cows come home on the BigFooty main board like Australia has one single time zone.

Two things to remember-
—- Western Australian teams are often bad choices for Thursday/ Friday night games (especially away from Perth) as Perth is 2 hours behind the East Coast. Imagine Eagles supporters complaining because they have to watch a game at 5:20pm local time on a Thursday.
— The “4:40pm timeslot” starts at 2:40pm WA time; allowing the AFL to have that separate timeslot Foxtel wants while minimising the impact on fans because WA fans are still leaving the ground earlier in the day than the Victorian fans after the 3:20pm game

You are having an each way bet here.

Point 1 you are suggesting that the start time in WA should accomodate the rest of Australia. That might work well for the ratings but isn't a good reason to not give them the match. Just occasionally Victorians can stay up a bit later.

Or better yet, do a double header which they've done a couple of times.

Then Point 2 you are very conscious of the convenience to WA fans and the local start time. At the end of the day that timeslot is a graveyard.

Anyway the point is moot. The point was made that things happened for certain clubs because they are big clubs. That clearly isn't the case. Big clubs only matter if they are Victorian big clubs.

You are having an each way bet here.

Point 1 you are suggesting that the start time in WA should accomodate the rest of Australia. That might work well for the ratings but isn't a good reason to not give them the match. Just occasionally Victorians can stay up a bit later.

Or better yet, do a double header which they've done a couple of times.

Then Point 2 you are very conscious of the convenience to WA fans and the local start time. At the end of the day that timeslot is a graveyard.

Anyway the point is moot. The point was made that things happened for certain clubs because they are big clubs. That clearly isn't the case. Big clubs only matter if they are Victorian big clubs.

You have to remember that the AFL is not the broadcaster.

Channel 7/Foxtel aren’t interested in asking their number one market “to stay up a bit later” to create an equitable league, they want games that rate and are advertiser friendly.

The quicker some people realise that the game is profit driven rather than #VICBIAS, the less of these types of threads would occur

You have to remember that the AFL is not the broadcaster.

Channel 7/Foxtel aren’t interested in asking their number one market “to stay up a bit later” to create an equitable league, they want games that rate and are advertiser friendly.

The quicker some people realise that the game is profit driven rather than #VICBIAS, the less of these types of threads would occur

Noone is disputing that money talks. We are simply suggesting that money is currently determined in a one way fashion. That's just the way it is. Noone is getting the AFL/Foxtel confused despite several people suggesting otherwise.

I am replying to a comment that suggests it just comes down to big clubs when it actually comes down to big Victorian clubs

Noone is disputing that money talks. We are simply suggesting that money is currently determined in a one way fashion. That's just the way it is. Noone is getting the AFL/Foxtel confused despite several people suggesting otherwise.

I am replying to a comment that suggests it just comes down to big clubs when it actually comes down to big Victorian clubs

If “Big clubs” were truely Big, then money would talk.

Foxtel subscription rates are one of those indicators and while SA/WA clubs have their favourable FTA TV deals Foxtel/Kayo and advertisers on those platforms won’t take those “big clubs” seriously

I just don't see what the point is. What good is a supporter who knows nothing about the team and never actually goes and supports them?

A reminder..

It’s a VFL comp with invited participants from other states

Deal with it

Ahh not this s**t again.

If Swans have such a large following how come you can't draw much of a crowd. Shouldn't Swans be selling out the SCG every single week.

Collingwood I agree with. They have a huge supporter base but Swans. Get off it. Eagles supporter base sh*ts all over the Swans and even in a year where we are second last still dominate.

So what it’s saying is that Sydney can only capture approx 20% of its population who, when asked to choose an AFL team, choose them. That’s very poor considering you’re basically the only AFL team in the city.

Look flogs. The HGHEST RATING Grand Final was over 20 years ago, and involved the Swans.

Wonder why? Maybe they have a massive supporter base?

Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 12.04.28 am.png

Look flogs. The HGHEST RATING Grand Final was over 20 years ago, and involved the Swans.

View attachment 1513939

Say what you will..but it still doesn’t change the fact that it’s predominantly a Victorian comp with selected special invitees

View attachment 1513939
No it doesn’t. Just means people from Sydney are maybe turning the TV on. Doesn’t mean they support the Swans. That’s why your membership is relatively low. Just over half of what Collingwood, Richmond and West Coast have.

Channel 9 sports news tonight - kicks off with fluff piece about Tom Hickey and moves on to splooging over Nick Davis 05 for the 8 millionth time.... then we hear about Max Holmes injury update & Higgins retirement.

Boohoo OP boohoo.

Former St Kilda ruckman Tom Hickey, who visited Malbun in his teen years, caught a tram and visited Luna Park......

While I agree with you, who the feck is this Noone you keep referring to?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Understandable, who would want to be associated, even in passing, with a non-victorian club.

Best you find a good solid store that only caters to Collingwood supporters, I can think of a couple :).

I can think of a few lines they’re usually in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL, Roy Morgan. Okey Mete. Here the membership numbers.

1. West Coast 102,897 (2021 tally: 106,422)

2. Richmond 100,792 (2021 tally: 105,084)

3. Collingwood 100,384* (2021 tally: 82,527)

4. Carlton 88,776* (2021 tally: 81,302)

5. Essendon 86,001* (2021 tally: 81,662)

6. Hawthorn 81,494* (2021 tally: 77,079)

7. Geelong 71,943* (2021 tally: 70,293)

8. Melbourne 66,484* (2021 tally: 53,188)

9. Adelaide 63,009 (2021 tally: 60,232)

10. St Kilda 60,172* (2021 tally: 55,802)

11. Port Adelaide 58,643* (2021 tally: 56,532)

12. Fremantle 56,105* (2021 tally: 50,342)

13. Sydney 55,394 (2021 tally: 50,144)

14. Western Bulldogs 50,941* (2021 tally: 46,541)

15. North Melbourne 50,191* (2021 tally: 46,357)

16. Brisbane Lions 43,319* (2021 tally: 40,289)

17. GWS Giants 32,614* (2021 tally: 30,185)

18. Gold Coast 21,422* (2021 tally: 19,460)

So the Pies and WCE numbers are believable. Because it's supported through other metrics like memberships. But, the club which is 13th in the membership ladder and has increased their membership physically by 5k is the largest club in the land with a further 91,000 supporters. Laughable. In fact Roy Morgan is just taking the piss. Maybe, just maybe, the AFL website algorithms know which clubs generate the most clicks, because in reality, the clubs leading the pages are the bigger clubs. Sydney bigger than Essendon? I doubt it very much.
Now OP, stop your bitchin and go and speak to a manager.

Redhead Karen GIF by moodman
random dude knows more than professional polling / market research organisation.

Embarassing that anyone cares whether footy show mentions your team etc.
Assume the posters upset about it are teenagers

random dude knows more than professional polling / market research organisation.
It all depends on the definition of "support". Melbourne Storm would be the most "supported" league team, because people from Melb would nominate it if asked. But it is not the same as people who actually turn up and pay money to support their team

Dunno but the TV numbers prove swans draw eyeballs. Its a fact.

Also a fact that GWS TV numbers are awful.
Biggest untapped market tuning in a for a one off event.

2005/06 are the most watched in the last 20 years I believe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back