Game Day AFL Round 22 - Matchday Discussion Port Adelaide@Collingwood(MCG - 1:45PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finals are just around the corner, and it’s a potential finals matchup at the MCG. Collingwood and Port Adelaide clash in a critical season defining game. For Collingwood, a win will seal up a finals spot, and for Port Adelaide, a win will give them some breathing space going into round 23.

The Power are coming off a heartbreaking loss to the Eagles, falling victim to a McGovern kick after the siren. As a result, the Power are in a bit of tight spot here with a loss to Collingwood here putting their finals hopes in deep trouble. Meanwhile in the Collingwood camp, a comfortable win over Brisbane has really solidified their finals chances with one more win guaranteeing their spot in September.

Collingwood

It wasn’t pretty, but the Magpies got the job done over the Lions in solid fashion. At times the Magpies looked on the ropes, but as good sides do, they managed to find a way to win. As a result of the win, Collingwood is almost guaranteed a spot in their first finals series since 2013. A win against the Power will solidify that finals spot, and really boost the Magpies chances of making the top four. Taylor Adams continued his brilliant form against Brisbane, with Sier and Stephenson playing a solid role in the team. Although he started off rusty, De Goey was brilliant in the second half, providing some much needed excitement that really boosted the morale of the Collingwood players. Although the performance was good enough to win, the Magpies will need to put forth a much better performance against top eight contenders, Port Adelaide. While Collingwood has managed to cover their injuries, it appears that their backline is becoming the most exposed as a result of these injuries. With Howe out for the third straight week, the backline will need to be able to mute the influence of star forwards like Wingard and Gray.

The man to watch for Collingwood Steele Sidebottom. Sidebottom made a scintillating start to the 2018 season, but has since slowed in recent months. While players like Adams have been able to cover for Sidebottom’s drop-in form, Sidebottom will be wanting to show some return to the form that he had earlier in the season.

Port Adelaide

It was heartbreak for the Power last week. Leading by two goals with under a minute to go, it looked like they were heading for a much-needed victory over the Eagles. But a heartbreaking loss cruelly denied them the win. Tom Jonas and Ollie Wines were sensational for the Power last week. However, if the loss wasn’t bad enough, the Power will be without their star forward in Charlie Dixon, who is out for the rest of the season. This shifts the pressure right on to forwards Westhoff and Gray who will have to shoulder a hefty amount of the work in the forward line. Port have one of the best midfields in the competition, averaging the most clearances of any side, as well as being one of the top sides in inside-50s. However, if there is one bit of encouragement for Port, it’s the fact that they match up well against Collingwood. Since 2013, Port Adelaide have only lost once to Collingwood, which was in 2014 by six points. The Power are definitely one of Collingwood’s bogey sides, and with the injuries mounting up, they will need all the encouragement they can get.

The man to watch for the Power is Justin Westhoff. With Dixon out for the season, Westhoff will need to stand up in his absence. Westhoff has had a solid season for Port, kicking 18 goals and averaging 20 disposals, but really hasn’t taken control of a game yet. He’ll need to step up in their key forwards absence, not only in the game on Saturday, but for the rest of the season.

Head to Head odds

Port Adelaide: $2.90

Collingwood: $1.42

Changes

Port Adelaide

IN

Jack Hombsch, Riley Bonner

OUT

Charlie Dixon (Injured), Tom Clurey (Injured)

Collingwood

IN

Nathan Murphy

OUT

Nathan Murphy

TV

Live on Fox Footy, Commercial Free

Delayed by 165 minutes on Channel 7, showing only in SA.

Radio

3AW
ABC
MMM

IPTV

AFL Live Pass
Foxtel Now
WatchAFL

The run home…

So, it’s the pointy end of the season, and it’s necessary to see what a loss or win means for Collingwood. The ladder predictor will assume that all the other favorites win.

If Collingwood wins

They stay fifth

If Collingwood loses

They stay fifth

Congratulations Travis Varcoe – 200 games

Coming to Collingwood in 2015, many were apprehensive in trading for the veteran, but by the mid-rounds, the former Cat had solidified himself as one of the leaders in the team.

Tip

This is a tough game to call. Although the betting market heavily favors a Collingwood win, it should be a lot closer with such a depleted Collingwood backline.

Collingwood by 10.

Winner Makes Finals Offically.

Our Backline is pretty much the VFL Backline so that is a Huge Worry but with Shocking Weather it mean it not be too big of a Problem.

My tip Pies by 10pts but like a Bigger Margin.

Though I worry a bit when Nicholls is 1 of the Scumps

Tough game for us as usual, so am naturally worried. Need to come out firing, unlike last week. Forward line will need to have a good game to get the win, with Port having quite a solid defence, and our defence potentially being leaky due to the inexperience.

Sadly I can't see us winning this.
Our record against top 8 teams is woeful and we are going in with an ad hoc team.
Way too inexperienced.
Yeah despite our injuries we have stayed competitive but against the good sides we have been found lacking.
Too many players missing for us to win this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyweek this year has seemed massive for us. This is just another big test. Our backline worries me, but if our mids can get on top and continue to work defensively which they have done well for most parts so far this season we are a good chance. Think it will be a close game. Looking forward to Murph getting his first crack at it, although if conditions are to be so bad I would have preferred a bigger body come in.

Pies by 3 in a heartstopper.

Has Bucks coached a win against Port? Usually I’m not confident but as I lay here in a slightly still drunk/almost hungover state, I’m feeling pretty good about today. I think we’ll get over a broken Power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back