Women's Footy AFLW R.5 Crows vs Lions...Norwood Oval, Saturday 4th March, 6:40PM CDST

Remove this Banner Ad

So rather than acknowledge the fact the umpiring was s**t, you wanna be one of those smart arse pricks about player mistakes. Well i up your one player mistake to the 4 s**t decisions made in one quarter along with at least one blatantly obvious free that wasnt paid. See i can be a smart arse too. In case you cant count thats 5 umpiring mistakes to 1 player mistake.
As far as the rest of the game went, the umpires just guessed for both sides.
Anyway well done to the crows girls. Work on skills as much as possible will help no end. Brisbane certainly have us done in the skills department.

Go watch the game again and see how many soft ones we got.
Geez I must have been watching a different game.

Being at the game, hatchard and Randall on Fredrick-Taub and Harris were very good. While Brisbane had some good markers it was their continual creation of the loose player that we never covered that cost us. We were sucked in to the contest and even when it was a ball up, we never looked around to check and cover the loose one.

Also Norwood is a horrible oval to watch footy at.

We didn't spread from the contest as well tonight. When in possession, it Felt as if a lot of girls were trying to superstar it up and do too much and the team things went out the window.
Brisbane set up well on their Half forward and Half back which we have done better than everyone else up until tonight. Lots of ball chasing, and structure suffered for the first time this year(that I've seen).
Need to start making the most of Metcalfes dominance at ballups.

Good contest.. very full-on physically.

Last edited:
Being at the game, hatchard and Randall on Fredrick-Taub and Harris were very good. While Brisbane had some good markers it was their continual creation of the loose player that we never covered that cost us. We were sucked in to the contest and even when it was a ball up, we never looked around to check and cover the loose one.

Horrible oval to play on.Great oval to sink grog at though.

Many a good memory watching at the Parade for me. :)

Heartbreaking loss but honestly, outside of some shocking kicking in the first quarter I thought we weren't bad. Brisbane are the real deal, they were a cut above everyone else we've played so far. Sadly that loss almost certainly means we'll have to face them in Queensland if we want to win the premiership.

Hopefully we end up looking back at tonight as "the loss we had to have" as opposed to "the loss that derailed our season".

I hate to play "what if" but in the first half there were two terrible shots on goal that went out on the full, and I remember thinking at the time "even a couple of points there would have been handy".

If we'd only been one point down instead of three for most of that last quarter I reckon we could have levelled it at least.

Unpopular I'm sure, but I thought the umpires did everything possible to keep us in that.
poor all round, but thought we had the rub by a long way. What is with this 5m kicks being payed as marks?

They looked very Sydney Swans tonight, and we looked very Adelaide Crows.

Yeah, agreed. At the ground it felt like we were getting the rub of the green. That said, the umpires absolutely refused to pay HTB. I didn't mind it to be honest, but it did start to get ridiculous after a while.

Go watch the game again and see how many soft ones we got.
Geez I must have been watching a different game.
i watched the game, maybe you could read my post again. I said the umpires guessed for both teams in the first 3/4 then were against us badly in last quarter. The umpiring standard is worse than average in all the games ive seen so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even though we lost enjoyed the contest.

Need to take our set shots.

And stop that Lions player who created her own two goals from nothing. She was the difference.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
The one with jets on her feet? I agree she turned the game for them.

Get stuffed.

So rather than acknowledge the fact the umpiring was s**t, you wanna be one of those smart arse pricks about player mistakes. Well i up your one player mistake to the 4 s**t decisions made in one quarter along with at least one blatantly obvious free that wasnt paid. See i can be a smart arse too. In case you cant count thats 5 umpiring mistakes to 1 player mistake.
As far as the rest of the game went, the umpires just guessed for both sides.
Anyway well done to the crows girls. Work on skills as much as possible will help no end. Brisbane certainly have us done in the skills department.
Umpires don't kick (or in this case fail to kick) goals mate

People are surely joking if they think we got screwed by the umps. The Lions were cleaner and more polished overall and deserved the win.

Yes, I agree. They are cleaner and have more method. With a couple of exceptions, we seemed to play like a team of terriers following the ball, hoping to end up with it after a series of fumbles and dropped balls with no HTB decisions. I haven't been impressed with our player in the pink helmet for several weeks and she did no better tonight.

The thing that epitomised the difference from the AFL to me was when a Brisbane player had a shot for goal in the last quarter from the left forward flank, which bounced through. Stopping this could have saved the match, but one of our players just watched it bounce, inevitably resulting in a goal. In the AFL, Hartigan et al. would have dived at the ball where it landed, spoiling it before it went through.

Rubbish it is. The parade is the best suburban ground by far .

The thing that epitomised the difference from the AFL to me was when a Brisbane player had a shot for goal in the last quarter from the left forward flank, which bounced through. Stopping this could have saved the match, but one of our players just watched it bounce, inevitably resulting in a goal. In the AFL, Hartigan et al. would have dived at the ball where it landed, spoiling it before it went through.
This is particularly telling to me. Because of the smaller ball, relying on the ball to bounce truly is even more risky than usual in AFLW. But Adelaide played it wrongly on both ends.

Firstly, like the example you said (which is particularly annoying because they'd had a warning seconds earlier), players letting it bounce and expecting a friendly bounce.

But also a lot of the rushed clearing kicks from defence were gentle lobs into a pack of Brisbane players where they could easily mark and control the ball (Brisbane's Strength, even if an Adelaide player can force a contest.) Where a low kick that bounced would add an element of randomness and force a contest at ground level (Adelaide's strength).

Poor skills in the first, then butchered our forward 50 entries while they conversely nailed a much higher % of theirs.

Part blame to coach as we couldn't defend transition well at all (though this could simply be time/exposure thing rather than poor game plan) but for mine a large part of the issue was a few defender playing poorly on the 'big stage'.

Umpiring was bad both ways, but I don't understand those 5-10m kicks being paid as marks? Seriously??? These umps need to be schooled on distance.
Overall, great game to watch. Brisbane were just a lot more skilful on the day and Crows didn't make the most of their opportunities. Also, felt like Killian's late withdrawal affected our forward line structure.

I just thought it was a good game to be at , enjoyed the contest and as noted, a few things go the other way and the result is a good one.

I do agree the umpiring was different but the girls didn't let it affect them too much. One thing to reinforce to each player is the contest is never dead so never give up. Chase , harass and pressure the opponent and the error will come.

Wasted too many options not lowering their eyes going into the forward line with "blind" kicks, also very frustrating watching the Loins girls easily transition out of the backline after every point...same play out wide to an unattended player every time with another player in the clear up the line...ordinary coaching not to block that easy get out.

Absolutely agree and correct. For a small, compact ground it has so many obstructed viewing spots - from light towers, to redundant foul poles, and goal netting. There's hardly a good vantage point around the ground, bar the western stand (and even then you have poles in the way from about halfway up). Not to mention, as someone posted earlier, the older seats in the stands are a OH&S hazard.

Then there's the decrepit facilities. The portaloos at Thebby were more hygenic than the condition the toilets at Norwood were tonight.

We're lucky that the baseball moved to West Beach this summer because there would've barely been any grass inside the southern 50 otherwise too.

Given the ground struggles to cope with any crowd over 4K, I hope the AFL never schedule an AFLW match there again.

i watched the game, maybe you could read my post again. I said the umpires guessed for both teams in the first 3/4 then were against us badly in last quarter. The umpiring standard is worse than average in all the games ive seen so far.

Yep fair call.Didnt read your previous post.Apologies.Still think we got the rub in the last.
I think the standard of umpiring is at levels to be expected. I think they let more go than they pay which I think is a good thing overall so long as they show consistency,which tonight I didnt think they showed (in our favour).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back