AFLW AFLW Season 7, Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think there is much stress or cause for worry just yet.. The comp is going to get substantially weaker with the thining of talent, and we have lost a tall that showed promise but wasn't a star and a few contributors... Wait and see what else happens first and what we have in the works before we get too upset.
Keeping Nina, Pres, Bec Web is huge for me as they will all improve together and the makings of a good midfield are there

There's been a good group of AFLW players attending our recent AFL home games, sitting as a group, and that includes a few of the above - it's not just the younger or older players but a good mix.

It may not mean much, but seeing them at recent games it seems that they really get along and that there's a commitment to the club - when you're talking about a part-time competition, that last part of really important

Obviously it would have been good to keep players like Barber this year or Purcell last year, but was a growing club you want to keep players who are committed to the club. And if a player doesn't have that same level of commitment, then you need to ask if they are best to keep around, hoping to change their mind or make the trade, moving forward with a group which is committed

I was thinking with the extra wages.
There might be some moves.

Wasnt there 3 levels of payments.

Eg we might see them as level 3.
They might get level 2 elsewhere.

Unsure 100% .
4 tiers of player payments - the breakdown is in the following

1654242511186.jpeg

2 spots idoubt makes much difference in who we pick.

I think phoebe is a gun but she is 36..to get a top 25 pick for her at her age is a super good deal for us blues overpaid i reckon. I was expecting a late pick or DFA.

Given her commute from melb and ivey going to melb it wasalways likely we would lose phoebe..nothing more we could have done.

Yeah, good points. My perception is coloured by the fact she's probably more valuable to us than the Blues, even at her age.

That said, when you're waist deep in a rebuild, ever little advantage you can get can add up - even 2 spots!

The interesting thing about Barber to Collingwood - where does that leave a player like Sabrina Frederick, and will she be looking for a new team?

And no I don't want to see us chasing her

Losing Barber is the only one that truly bothers me. She really could be a player. I do agree that struggling to cling on to players who are desperate to leave is a monumental waste of time and energy, though. So on we go with the cards we've been dealt.

And as for whether this is a rebuild or implosion, it probably doesn't really matter. The edifice we've been building had only really got to 'crumbling sandcastle' stage, anyway. We're right back with the stragglers in this comp at the moment. And it's hard to see how this trade/draft period is going to seriously change that at all.

Look for Jackie Perry to play up forward as focal point - wouldn't be surprised if she's been seen as a replacement option for McWilliams. We started to be linked to her around the same time as info coming out about McWilliams not being offered another deal

Don't forget we'll likely still have Darby on the list and she's shown herself to be a capable marking target up forward

That is depressing.
Jackie Perry couldn't get a game for Melbourne come finals.
Darby will be needed in the ruck as that's her best position unless Fuller or Caris can step up.

Let's be honest, you can try and spin it however you want but the cupboard is bare when it comes to quality forwards for the Cats (Scheer the exception)

We already knew this, but I prefer how we've reported it versus the Collingwood release - 3 picks within the first 23 Vic picks isn't too bad

We already knew this, but I prefer how we've reported it versus the Collingwood release - 3 picks within the first 23 Vic picks isn't too bad

Spin. Nothing more.
We lost our 2 best key forwards and went from the 8th vic pick to 10. The other picks are the 18th and 23rd.
Would rather have known quality rather than draft picks.

Your joking we traded Barber .. that's a shocking deal too she has x factor.

We had no choice she wasnt contracted and could have walked and clearly wanted to go.
I like liv but i think people are overreacting she has good attributes and a high ceiling but has done little production wise so far...pick 33 is a fair trade all considered.

No doubt we will focus on bolsteringthe forward line in trade or draft.

Its the same pick nos i think just some clubs arw listing them as the vic pick nos in their articles and some are listing them as the national pick nos which is the discrepancy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spin. Nothing more.
We lost our 2 best key forwards and went from the 8th vic pick to 10. The other picks are the 18th and 23rd.
Would rather have known quality rather than draft picks.

And how do you suggest we could have done that?

Its the same pick nos i think just some clubs arw listing them as the vic pick nos in their articles and some are listing them as the national pick nos which is the discrepancy.

I know that part - thinking it's easier to follow as Vic picks because that's more accurate in terms of when our selections are actually live

Plus, it's easier if all teams start reporting them in the same manner

Pies made out like bandits in that trade.

We should have pushed for pick 30, or tried for both 30 & 33, and potentially sending pick 42 back (don't think they'd accept pick 67 which is our only other later pick)

Collingwood had earlier done this trade which is where they got the two picks in the 30: Richmond trade Pick 30 and Pick 33 to Collingwood for Pick 25 and Pick 38

I'd try move on Amy McDonald if I were the club personally, she'd have value to attract a good pic or deal but not the type of player that we'll ever win with, she tries to do too much every time she gets it because she can in our side

Totally disagree. She’s currently our best player. Can still improve as well. Her fierce attack on the ball and player cannot be taught.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Done what?
Calling it as it is. This trade period thus far has been a disaster.
Survived the expansion sign ons relatively unscathed but the last couple of days haven’t been good at all.

How could we have done any better?the players we lost were uncontracted and we had no hold to keep them. The picks we got for them were reasonable. I cant see how we could have done better at all. Its all good to want something but if its impossible its impossible.

Why would you downgrade your first pick in such a seemingly crummy deal if the plan isn't to just trade it to West Coast anyway. I don't want to sound like a broken record, nor do I mean to jinx it, but this kid is only 21 and has already been nominated for AA...

If she ends up elsewhere then there'd be reason for concern, otherwise the list is going to come out of this trade period wayyyy ahead.

And on the topic of Jackie Parry (note the a, not Perry), true she fell out of favour at Melbourne later in the season. But so too Emonson last year, who still proved to be a helpful addition.

Why would you downgrade your first pick in such a seemingly crummy deal if the plan isn't to just trade it to West Coast anyway. I don't want to sound like a broken record, nor do I mean to jinx it, but this kid is only 21 and has already been nominated for AA...

If she ends up elsewhere then there'd be reason for concern, otherwise the list is going to come out of this trade period wayyyy ahead.

And on the topic of Jackie Parry (note the a, not Perry), true she fell out of favour at Melbourne later in the season. But so too Emonson last year, who still proved to be a helpful addition.

The highlights look good - she's got good skills and speed.

You're 100% on Emonson - I thought she was easily in our top 10 players last season. Just checked the B&F and she finished 7, which is about on the money.

Be interesting to see where bowen goes and if she comes here.i rate parry honestly like i did emonson i think she will be a decent role player at worst.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back